Upload & Sell: Off
I have to admit after I looked at the link that Naranek sent me I changed my mind from going DIY to getting one already made by professionals. Also, you saw what I said about contacting the Safari operators. They will be glad to get the beans all I need to send them is the amount the need to get.
Do you think rice would be better than beans? Yes, I'm taking several microfiber cloth. I also use one of those women's make up brushes to dust off the body and lens. But I don't think I'd be taking any...Show more →
I have always used rice since it is a known quantity and size, many different types of beans. 4.5 kg of rice is just right in the Kinesis, not sure which beans and weight you'll need. BTW this will cost you @ 600 KES or $6.50 USD, yep rice is about the same price or more than what you'll pay at home for a 5 kg bag. Also, in Kenya, they prefer KES rather than USD so use a credit card and it simplifies things if you go to a super market.
As far as cleaning stuff, I take everything but I also have two FX bodies and sack full of glass. In the bag are:
1. Visible Dust 7x Loupe
2. Visible Dust Arctic Butterfly
3. Visible Dust Sensor Swabs (24)
4. Visible Dust Sensor Clean fluid, VDust Plus fluid, Smear Away fluid.
5. Small static free brush to brush out inside of mirror box, hold the camera lens mount down when doing this.
6. Blower, you'll never get canned air through TSA and it should never be used inside the camera.
7. Lens tissues, Pec Pads work for this.
8. Eclipse fluid for the lens cleaning.
9. Electronic contact cleaner, dispensed into a small eyedropper bottle, to be used only on the electronic contacts should they become fouled, batteries, lens contacts, etc.
10. Small eyedropper bottle of 99.953% Isopropyl alcohol, to clean the Arctic Butterfly brush should it get contaminated with oil.
11. a few Q-Tips in a zip bag, just in case I ned them to get into a corner of a lens, wrapped in a Pec Pad of course. Also can be used to dispense electronic contact cleaner.
12. Exterior natural bristle brush, to brush off the camera exterior before I do wipe.
13. Microfiber cloth, run under a tap to get soaked then really ring it out so no water drips from it. Wipe exterior of camera and lenses, rinse and repeat. Also do the interior of the camera bag, no point in cleaning the camera and not where it is going to rest.
Card speeds for HD video should be class 10 I think, I don't shoot video. I always shoot Raw, why bake a file when you are thousands of miles from your editing suite?
Double redundancy for every file is essential so work that into your strategy. I use a portable storage device with a 500 GB drive as the backup, the card is the primary so I never erase in the field. Take enough cards to finish the safari, they are cheap these days and you don't need the fastest for shooting stills since most camera buffers will soak up any write lag of the card. Your netbook with an external drive will give you two copies of each file, make sure to test this before you go so transfers are fail safe.