Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · How to handle High School Seniors appropriately...

D Smith
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · How to handle High School Seniors appropriately...

I haven't done much in the senior market, but have been getting many more requests lately. I do live an a pretty small town and mostly rural area. I also am a location photographer, so most of my shooting requires traveling around the local scene. That said, I have a bit of wariness when it comes to the younger clientele riding in my vehicle and pretty much solo shooting with me. How do most of you, especially male, photographers deal with this? Make them bring parents along, friends? Also, I presume you present them with a model release to give to their parents to sign if they are under 18, what is your standard way of conducting this as far as payment, contract, images are concerned?

Aug 03, 2012 at 09:26 PM
Pfiltz
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · How to handle High School Seniors appropriately...

I NEVER shoot a senior w/o a parent. I made 1 exception for a very good close friend of mine, since I've shot her daughter hundreds of times in the past.

Aug 03, 2012 at 09:30 PM
alohadave
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · How to handle High School Seniors appropriately...

Seniors get their pictures taken all the time without parents there. I did my senior pictures at the photographer's studio without bringing my parents (and they really wouldn't have appreciated taking a day off to sit there while the pictures were taken).

If you are worried about it, have them meet you at the location or have them follow you to the location. Personally, I'd never have a client ride in my vehicle.

At some point, you have to trust them, and they'll have to trust you.

Aug 03, 2012 at 10:05 PM
soupcxan
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · How to handle High School Seniors appropriately...

Could be liability/insurance issues if there was an auto accident. Make sure you have a commercial policy.

Aug 03, 2012 at 10:16 PM
ESC in KC
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · How to handle High School Seniors appropriately...

I never shoot seniors without a parent or second adult present. In my opinion you are asking for trouble if you do. No model release. Usually they meet me at locations.

Aug 03, 2012 at 10:38 PM
Pfiltz
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · How to handle High School Seniors appropriately...

1 girl... All you need is 1 bad apple, and your out of business in that market. ESPECIALLY small town USA.

I sent one home last year. Showed up by herself.

Tough luck hun. Come back when you have a parent.

Aug 03, 2012 at 10:43 PM
sboerup
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · How to handle High School Seniors appropriately...

I've shot my share of seniors without a parent. Most males do not bring a parent/friend, and thats fine. Most girls have mom with, or a friend comes, or both. I've photographed a few girls that didn't have anyone else come along, but I usually have an assistant helping with this, but I've also photographed maybe 1 or 2 when it was just myself and the senior...I really really don't prefer it, but it all really depends on the circumstance.

They never ride in my car though...

Aug 03, 2012 at 11:24 PM
Lisa_Holloway
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · How to handle High School Seniors appropriately...

I prefer to shoot seniors without a parent...I tend to be able to interact with them more and get more relaxed expressions. I am female though - not sure if that makes any difference. I've had some ride in my car and some follow me...

Aug 04, 2012 at 12:08 AM

Michaelparris
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · How to handle High School Seniors appropriately...

under 18 female. Chaperone. No questions asked. My wife has helped in the past. Never ride in my car.

Aug 04, 2012 at 12:10 AM
jefferies1
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · How to handle High School Seniors appropriately...

NEVER shoot anyone, male or female under 18 without the parent on location. If they are part of a group such as a cheer squad then ask to see a signed release allowing the child to be part of the shoot. I know what I am talking about from having to testify in a law suit case. Big mess. People lie under oath all the time and you trying to prove why you would be in the car without the parent will be a joke. Maybe 10 years ago it would be ok but not today. Today you are asking for problems.

Simply make them drive the kid in their own car and follow you. Tell parent to stay well back and not interact. Remind them that is why you are getting paid. Never an issue when I shoot.

An auto accident could be a problem doing commercial job with personal insurance. Might be a reason not to pay. Ask a licensed agent about that.

Aug 04, 2012 at 12:19 AM
ESC in KC
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · How to handle High School Seniors appropriately...

Lisa_Holloway wrote:
I prefer to shoot seniors without a parent...I tend to be able to interact with them more and get more relaxed expressions. I am female though - not sure if that makes any difference. I've had some ride in my car and some follow me...

Of course it makes a difference if you are female. A man with a 17 year old girl alone - no way. Always always a second adult. And it doesn't have to be a hovering parent. I've had parents stay well away for the shooting but they are there.

Aug 04, 2012 at 12:26 AM
blondie
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · How to handle High School Seniors appropriately...

Lisa_Holloway wrote:

For sure it matters that you (I) are female! I have parents that book the appointments and then just the kid shows up. I also prefer to shoot without parent, they are much more relaxed and have no problem asking for what they really want!
Never ride in my car though!

Aug 04, 2012 at 05:23 AM
dmacmillan
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · How to handle High School Seniors appropriately...

Pfiltz wrote:
1 girl... All you need is 1 bad apple, and your out of business in that market. ESPECIALLY small town USA.

This. As Sgt. Phil on Hill Street Blues would say: "Ya'll be careful out there!"

Aug 04, 2012 at 01:17 PM
danchez
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · How to handle High School Seniors appropriately...

parent, no parent, friend, no friend, whatever. But I've never had them in the car with me. I do prefer that they arrive with a friend. They know the funny stories that can be talked about that the parents don't know about.

Aug 06, 2012 at 12:44 AM
ScooberJake
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · How to handle High School Seniors appropriately...

My policy is that I never shoot without another adult present. It could be a parent or my assistant, usually both. I have only shot a couple seniors without their parents, who usually want to be there.

I do location shoots as well, and I have the seniors meet me at the location. Sometimes we do multiple locations and they follow me. I have once or twice transported kid + parent + assistant in my car when shooting downtown where finding parking is a huge time waster. I agree that it is probably not the best idea.

Aug 07, 2012 at 03:25 PM
Lisa_Holloway
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · How to handle High School Seniors appropriately...

My last senior met me at my house and then just rode with me - no parent. I had met mom prior to the session though. It was honestly my best senior session to date. I've decided that I will request that the girls come alone from now on...I really, really prefer it that way. Mom tends to get in the way of really connecting with the senior.

Aug 07, 2012 at 03:32 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password