end

Archive 2012 · Hypothetical - Reality Help Needed

oldrattler
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Hypothetical - Reality Help Needed

gdanmitchell wrote:
It depends.

For a Canon DSLR I would go with the 5D or the 5D3 at this point. I would not bother looking at other brands, given the set of lenses you already have for Canon.

Unless you have a taste for a very different way of shooting and a whole bunch of complexities, you probably don't want to go LF. MF film has a much weaker argument than back in the day when the alternative might have been SLR film - today a good full frame DSLR can be used to produce prints essentially as large as those you would likely
...Show more

Dan, Thank you for the input... At this point in my life I have seen complexity and am therefore not concerned with starting over / learning new stuff, or staying as is... As previously stated I would only go LF / MF if I have a mentor / teacher to guide me... DSLR is my intended medium with the sole purpose being, "To glorify God through His creation, one image at a time"... If I can get one "Super image" per month I will have met the standard set by Ansel Adams... "Ansel Adams once famously said, "Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop." ... I am no longer fueled by the "Newest is Best mentality", but believe photography technology / equipment has progressed since I bought my 1DsII... As a frequent poster on FM stated, "No camera is perfect. It doesn't matter what brand "wins." The "imperfect" cameras make fine photographs. " (GDan) That is all I wish to do... Thanks again... Jim

Aug 02, 2012 at 05:26 AM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Hypothetical - Reality Help Needed

Gunzorro wrote:
Jim -- I'd shake up your wide end of lenses, and improve the camera, just as you have been thinking.

Get the 5D3 -- I have the 5D2 and the 1Ds2 as my top cameras, and the 5D2 smokes the 1Ds2 in IQ and features like LV, that have become essential. From all I've read, the 5D3 is that much more of a step beyond the 5D2. I'd get a 1DX if I could afford it, but that might be overkill on your budget. Keep your 7D as back-up, or "other format".

Sell of the 17-40L toward a 16-35L II. That
...Show more

Thank you for the suggestions... The 5DIII appears to be the consensus choice, as does the 24mm TS-e... These will be my primary landscape setup.. As far as UWA I am leaning toward the Nikon 14-24 W / adapter... Have not ruled out the 16-35 II, Zeiss 21, or the Samyang... I am also thinking the Zeiss 35 F2 & 50 F2 would fill out my card... Storage is no problem as equipment trumps luxury items like TV, stereo, Wife, etc...

Aug 02, 2012 at 05:41 AM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Hypothetical - Reality Help Needed

coranda wrote:
I chose the 24mm TS/E over the 17mm because it can easily take filters. Make sure you have some good ND Grads. It's amazing what a difference they can make to a landscape shot.

Thank you... What ND Grad filters do you recommend??

Aug 02, 2012 at 05:54 AM
coranda
• •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Hypothetical - Reality Help Needed

oldrattler wrote:
Thank you... What ND Grad filters do you recommend??

Personally, I like the Lee filters but there are other good brands out there. For general landscapes I'd get a soft grad, probably 2-stop, but 3 can be useful. For shots with little land detail above the horizon, like seascapes or desserts/plains, a hard grad can be better - once again, 2 or 3 stops.

Aug 02, 2012 at 05:58 AM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Hypothetical - Reality Help Needed

Mike Mahoney wrote:
I don't know how much traveling with a camera experience you have but my advice has always been to travel light .. I have found over the years that bringing a boatload of gear is not only necessary but usually gets left behind in the hotel room. And often DSLR gear is heavy & cumbersome to take with you on all those activities you will be taking part in as well.

So here's a novel piece of advice for you .. leave most of your gear home and take along a high quality P&S, or maybe one of the new
...Show more

Mike, We will be "living with our gear" for the next year or more... We, in essence, have a mobile studio, with bed & kitchen... We have our computers, monitors, printer, & studio lighting... In this case, more is less... Less frills and more gear... Thank you, Jim

Aug 02, 2012 at 06:02 AM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Hypothetical - Reality Help Needed

coranda wrote:
Personally, I like the Lee filters but there are other good brands out there. For general landscapes I'd get a soft grad, probably 2-stop, but 3 can be useful. For shots with little land detail above the horizon, like seascapes or desserts/plains, a hard grad can be better - once again, 2 or 3 stops.

Thank you for the help... Jim

Aug 02, 2012 at 09:31 AM
jerrykur
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Hypothetical - Reality Help Needed

Sounds like a great plan. I hope you have a great time.

Back to gear, I could consider the 5DMK3. Don't worry about the VF AF illumination. I am in my mid 50s and have no issue with it for landscape work. And if you feel you need to illuminate it press the rocker button in AF selection mode and everything lights up.

Aug 02, 2012 at 10:30 AM
broncoholic
• •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Hypothetical - Reality Help Needed

Dan, Thank you for the input... At this point in my life I have seen complexity and am therefore not concerned with starting over / learning new stuff, or staying as is... As previously stated I would only go LF / MF if I have a mentor / teacher to guide me... DSLR is my intended medium with the sole purpose being, "To glorify God through His creation, one image at a time"... If I can get one "Super image" per month I will have met the standard set by Ansel Adams... "Ansel Adams once famously said, "Twelve significant photographs in...Show more

Exactly my feelings! I just want to shoot and hope others enjoy what I do/did. I just want to try and enjoy what time I may or may not have left.

Maybe our paths will cross one day!

Aug 02, 2012 at 10:46 AM
mttran
• • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Hypothetical - Reality Help Needed

Get a used/refurbish 5D2 (1400-1700) to back up your 1Ds2. Your set is fine...i am using 1Ds2 and 17-40L plus zeiss 21mm distagon for landscape and love the colors from them. Enjoys your retirement...mine is coming up soon.

Aug 02, 2012 at 11:18 AM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Hypothetical - Reality Help Needed

jerrykur wrote:
Sounds like a great plan. I hope you have a great time.

Back to gear, I could consider the 5DMK3. Don't worry about the VF AF illumination. I am in my mid 50s and have no issue with it for landscape work. And if you feel you need to illuminate it press the rocker button in AF selection mode and everything lights up.

Thank you Jerry...

Aug 02, 2012 at 02:59 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Hypothetical - Reality Help Needed

mttran wrote:
Get a used/refurbish 5D2 (1400-1700) to back up your 1Ds2. Your set is fine...i am using 1Ds2 and 17-40L plus zeiss 21mm distagon for landscape and love the colors from them. Enjoys your retirement...mine is coming up soon.

Thank you... I pray your retirement is relaxing... Already too much stress in this world...

Aug 02, 2012 at 03:01 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Hypothetical - Reality Help Needed

broncoholic wrote:
Exactly my feelings! I just want to shoot and hope others enjoy what I do/did. I just want to try and enjoy what time I may or may not have left.

Maybe our paths will cross one day!

We plan to be in Maine next Year, time frame unknown...

Aug 02, 2012 at 03:06 PM
broncoholic
• •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Hypothetical - Reality Help Needed

We plan to be in Maine next Year, time frame unknown...

Good Lord willing, I will be here!

Aug 02, 2012 at 08:30 PM
artd
• • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Hypothetical - Reality Help Needed

oldrattler wrote:
Thank you for the suggestions... The 5DIII appears to be the consensus choice, as does the 24mm TS-e... These will be my primary landscape setup.. As far as UWA I am leaning toward the Nikon 14-24 W / adapter... Have not ruled out the 16-35 II, Zeiss 21, or the Samyang... I am also thinking the Zeiss 35 F2 & 50 F2 would fill out my card... Storage is no problem as equipment trumps luxury items like TV, stereo, Wife, etc...

The one thing to consider with the ultrawide....the Nikon 14-24 is certainly a superb lens and a fine choice. But, I am an advocate of the 17mm TSE . I think it is worth serious consideration as an ultrawide angle option because its shift capabilities provide so much compositional lattitude. The shift is it lets you get those dramatic perspectives where you can put the horizon very far off center without needing to tilt the camera up or down and you avoid keystoning distortion with things like trees. I find it especially useful for dramatic skies. For example, this was with the 17TSE:

untitled by Art Domagala, on Flickr

Ok, shot in the city and not really a landsape photo, but if you could imagine the architectural structure there is a tree instead....

And another example of 17mm with shift (this time with actual trees )

Along_Grouse_Mountain_Grind by Art Domagala, on Flickr

I also have a Sigma 12-24 II but despite it being much wider I find it much more limiting than the 17TSE because of the ability to shift.

Of course that's just one guy's opinion, good luck with whatever you go with and have fun!

Aug 03, 2012 at 12:06 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Hypothetical - Reality Help Needed

artd wrote:
The one thing to consider with the ultrawide....the Nikon 14-24 is certainly a superb lens and a fine choice. But, I am an advocate of the 17mm TSE . I think it is worth serious consideration as an ultrawide angle option because its shift capabilities provide so much compositional lattitude. The shift is it lets you get those dramatic perspectives where you can put the horizon very far off center without needing to tilt the camera up or down and you avoid keystoning distortion with things like trees. I find it especially useful for dramatic skies. For example, this was
...Show more

The second highest recommended lens was the 17mm TS-e so you have again got me thinking...
Thank you, Jim

Aug 03, 2012 at 01:23 PM
Glenn NK
• • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Hypothetical - Reality Help Needed

Jim:

My favourite "landscape lens" is my TSE24 II. By adding a 2.0EX, I now have two focal lengths on a 5DII. The same lens/extender combination on my 30D, gives me another two focal lengths (38 and 77 mm).

My second favourite is the 24-105.

I always use my Tilley hat when working with my cameras (but you may have to cross the 49th to get one).

Glenn

Aug 03, 2012 at 03:37 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.