Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · What CF Card For 1DX

Will Patterson
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · What CF Card For 1DX

satoru wrote:
Lexar 1000x 16gb 2 pack from Amazon is going back. Shot my daughters softball game and lost all 230 pics 1dx 1st slot jpeg large, 2nd slot raw large. Tried recover software but no help. Lost everything. Tried looking at playback but camera just "freezes" I'm totally bummed. Just orderedd 32gb twin pack from B&H

That's exactly the kind of feedback I was reading about on Amazon. Kind of a shame.

Aug 05, 2012 at 03:41 PM
Roland W
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · What CF Card For 1DX

There have always been theories about where to format, so I want to add my vote that formatting on the computer works very well for me. When I am sure I have a valid transfer and a backup of that transfer done, I format the cards in the computer. I then use them on which ever camera I want, and when they are inserted the camera takes a half a second and puts its little file structure on. I never worry about what goes where. This has been working perfectly for me since the Canon 20D and 1D2 era, and now includes primarly the 1DX, 1D4, and 5D2 cameras. I litterly never format in the camera, and I can shift card resources around as a day progresses with no worry about file numbering, no worry about putting the "wrong" card in a camera, and no worry about taking the time to format in camera. Some of what I shoot requires very fast card changes, and the computer formatting helps me do that.

Also the mention of using safe removal all the time by someone else is a step I do not do. For CF cards in card readers on computers, I just wait until I know there is no file activity going on, and then pull the card. The directory structure closes out in the explorer window, and all is well. I have never had a problem with that procedure on my CF cards. I do not ever open files on a CF card other than Explorer file listing and image viewing. I always copy my whole card to the computer before any file work with photo software. For SD cards I have less experience, so I sometimes use safe removal, but often forget, and still no problems.

For USB drives I am a little more careful, depending on what software may have opened what files on the card, and sometimes use safe removal if the files are important or there is no other backup.

Aug 05, 2012 at 04:14 PM
Dennis M 1064
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · What CF Card For 1DX

satoru wrote:
Lexar 1000x 16gb 2 pack from Amazon is going back. Shot my daughters softball game and lost all 230 pics 1dx 1st slot jpeg large, 2nd slot raw large. Tried recover software but no help. Lost everything. Tried looking at playback but camera just "freezes" I'm totally bummed. Just orderedd 32gb twin pack from B&H

That's unnerving. I'm going to Yellowstone and Glacier next month. With a pair of Lexars.

Aug 07, 2012 at 03:29 AM
Will Patterson
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · What CF Card For 1DX

I went to my local camera store and the only CF cards they sell are the ProMaster brand which are apparently made by Lexar. They are 700x cards, and a 32GB was $140 with tax. I popped it in my 1DX and it doesn't slow it down at all, and with my USB 3.0 reader at home I get 95-110 Mb/s download speeds. Very nice, I'm just going to put it through an onslaught of photos tomorrow and Sunday at a race and then an engagement shoot to see how it does. I'll be writing to both slots until I trust it which may be a while.

Aug 10, 2012 at 07:30 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

uz2work
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · What CF Card For 1DX

This is just a bit of anecdotal evidence. With over a decade of reading posts on internet forums, without question the largest number of complaints about CF images lost, images corrupted, and memory card caused camera errors/lock ups that I have seen have been with Lexar cards, and the number of complaints that I've seen about Lexar cards has, by far, outnumbered those that I've seen about Sandisk cards.

I had, largely based on the relative number of complaints for Lexar cards vs. Sandisk cards, always used Sandisk cards, and I've never had a single lost image, corrupted image, or camera error using one. That said, I couldn't resist updating my card inventory with a couple of the Lexar cards that B&H is currently offering, and I'm hoping that whatever may have caused issues with their cards in the past is, in fact, in the past. I've used one of the two new Lexar cards a couple of times without issue.

Les

Aug 10, 2012 at 08:18 PM
Will Patterson
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · What CF Card For 1DX

uz2work wrote:
This is just a bit of anecdotal evidence. With over a decade of reading posts on internet forums, without question the largest number of complaints about CF images lost, images corrupted, and memory card caused camera errors/lock ups that I have seen have been with Lexar cards, and the number of complaints that I've seen about Lexar cards has, by far, outnumbered those that I've seen about Sandisk cards.

I had, largely based on the relative number of complaints for Lexar cards vs. Sandisk cards, always used Sandisk cards, and I've never had a single lost image, corrupted image, or
...Show more

Ditto.

The "lexar" card I bought today I am hoping will be better, but I've never had a single problem with my SanDisk cards in the 7 years I've been shooting digital, starting with a MONSTER 512 MB card in 2004 (!!!!!!!!). Thankfully the 1DX can write to both slots.

Aug 10, 2012 at 11:17 PM
Greg Schneider
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · What CF Card For 1DX

Interesting reading of people's experiences with Lexar. I had always shied away from them, opting for Sandisk (knock on wood) as everyone claimed that Canon and Lexar never worked well together. I don't know if there's any truth to it, and it does seem a bit unsubstantiated, but I may steer clear again.

Aug 11, 2012 at 03:00 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password