FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

Archive 2012 · Field review of the new Canon 600mm MKII

Schlotkins
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Field review of the new Canon 600mm MKII

speedmaster20d wrote:
Regarding 600 II vs. 500 II, IMO it all depends on the weight you are comfortable with. If you are happy with the weight of the current 500 I would def get the 600 as you get more reach that can increase your field productivity. If the current 500 feels too heavy then the new 500 is your lens. Both lenses can produce excellent images for sure.

Hmmm... I have been working out. I feel like probably the 500 II is the way to go for me, but that extra reach really is tempting.

Jul 30, 2012 at 01:08 PM
WiredMike
• •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Field review of the new Canon 600mm MKII

+1 for being able to read the write up on my mobile!

Jul 30, 2012 at 01:48 PM
Paul Tessier
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Field review of the new Canon 600mm MKII

Great write up. The big questions are when and where can I get one. Seem the deliveries are a trickle at best.

Jul 30, 2012 at 04:49 PM
fotographiq
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Field review of the new Canon 600mm MKII

$13,000, good lord.

Enjoy it.

Jul 30, 2012 at 06:36 PM
Breitling65
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Field review of the new Canon 600mm MKII

fotographiq wrote:
$13,000, good lord.

Enjoy it.

Maybe made in Malaysia version will cost twice less? Lets dream ...

Jul 30, 2012 at 07:10 PM
vachss
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Field review of the new Canon 600mm MKII

As glowing reviews like this one start to come in I expect the already steady stream of 800L's on the Buy and Sell page to increase. Who knows, maybe the $11K barrier will crack soon...

Jul 30, 2012 at 08:14 PM
AJSJones
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Field review of the new Canon 600mm MKII

Breitling65 wrote:

You mean they give us $13K and the lens?
Nice dream

Or do you mean 1/2 as much?
Cheaper than the original, without accounting for progress, inflation and exchange rate differences?
Almost as nice a dream...

Jul 30, 2012 at 08:45 PM
Gary Irwin
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Field review of the new Canon 600mm MKII

Excellent review Arash - that required effort which we all appreciate.

The only thing is, considering you never took the 1.4x off the lens, maybe you should have just gone with the 800L!

Jul 30, 2012 at 09:05 PM
speedmaster20d
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Field review of the new Canon 600mm MKII

Gary Irwin wrote:
Excellent review Arash - that required effort which we all appreciate.

The only thing is, considering you never took the 1.4x off the lens, maybe you should have just gone with the 800L!

Thanks

I never liked the 800 for handholding. Too much FL for some birds too.

Jul 30, 2012 at 09:32 PM
charlespan
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Field review of the new Canon 600mm MKII

Thanks for the review; exactly what I need to hear, I am going to use it mostly hand held.

Jul 30, 2012 at 10:33 PM
kevindar
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Field review of the new Canon 600mm MKII

charlespan wrote:
Thanks for the review; exactly what I need to hear, I am going to use it mostly hand held.

Charles, once you get it, maybe I give your 400 5.6 a new home.

Jul 31, 2012 at 01:21 AM
splathrop
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Field review of the new Canon 600mm MKII

Presumably, bird photography is extremely lucrative.

Snark aside, do BIF photographers make money from their images, or is this all done for the love of the art? The images in the review would engender quite a bit of love, it seems to me.

Jul 31, 2012 at 04:45 AM
kaycephoto
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Field review of the new Canon 600mm MKII

splathrop wrote:
Presumably, bird photography is extremely lucrative.

Snark aside, do BIF photographers make money from their images, or is this all done for the love of the art? The images in the review would engender quite a bit of love, it seems to me.

i would love to someday make even 1/10th of my photography-related income from birding.. but at this point, i can't see how i could make any $ shooting BIF even if i put 100% of my time into birding, especially working out of a metropolis like Toronto where i highly doubt there are any rare or exotic species left to discover..

maybe someone can correct me & guide me on my way to profitable birding =D

personally though, i find birding to be challenging & peaceful at the same time.. it's one of my favourite "sanity-preserving" photographic subjects atm..

Jul 31, 2012 at 06:08 AM
R. Eisenberg
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Field review of the new Canon 600mm MKII

Fred is right, this is a very fine review.

Jul 31, 2012 at 06:15 AM
speedmaster20d
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Field review of the new Canon 600mm MKII

thank you for viewing. Looks like my bandwidth was saturated! It will be fixed in a few hours, sorry for inconvenience.

EDIT: bandwidth issue fixed now

Jul 31, 2012 at 11:35 AM
kaycephoto
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Field review of the new Canon 600mm MKII

my assistant: "you can train yourself to get used to a heavier lens, but you can't train the 500mm to be a longer focal length.."

=D this is why i keep her around... 600mkII it is, though i'm sure i'll change my mind a few hundred more times..

Jul 31, 2012 at 06:30 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Field review of the new Canon 600mm MKII

kaycephoto wrote:
my assistant: "you can train yourself to get used to a heavier lens, but you can't train the 500mm to be a longer focal length.."

=D this is why i keep her around... 600mkII it is, though i'm sure i'll change my mind a few hundred more times..

If I remember correctly, all photos from the review were shot at 1092mm. And let's not forget that the 600 II with the 1.4x III extender increases the weight to over 9 pounds! (approaching the 800mm f/5.6L's weight)
Therefore, those who prefer handholding their super-teles all the time should really consider the 500 II and perhaps a lighter body like the 7D.

Jul 31, 2012 at 06:48 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Field review of the new Canon 600mm MKII

Breitling65 wrote:

Well, not half the price, but $11,400 CAD from Vistek in Canada... though there *might* be a 2.3% US import duty: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1136059

I don't believe the price increase is strictly inflationary. There will be less demand for these lenses in part because there are so many of the IS v.1 out in use already. Lower volume = higher unit cost. And the 'pro' end of this market is in stagnation/decline, to the point where it's not uncommon that paying clients haven't changed their rates since 1999 when the IS v.1 was introduced. Also consider the steady decline of stock photo rates. So, if one is being paid in 1999 dollars... but must buy gear in 2012 dollars... makes it a bit difficult.

Nice review BTW! My takeaway from it is I won't bother to update my 600 IS, especially if the only noticeable difference is with the 2x TC, which for my use primarily shooting field sports, is way too long. Actually, I'll probably sell it instead to fund the zoom.

Jul 31, 2012 at 07:33 PM
netexpress
• • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Field review of the new Canon 600mm MKII

Arash, based on all the comments here I think you've just lightened the bank account of many enthusiasts on the FM Canon forum.

Jul 31, 2012 at 07:47 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Field review of the new Canon 600mm MKII

Fred Miranda wrote:
Therefore, those who prefer hand holding their super-teles all the time should really consider the 500 II and perhaps a lighter body like the 7D.

The really have to put the 5D III AF in a crop body and if so that would sway me back to the 500 II. I'll hold off until I find out what's instore on the body front before deciding. 600 II is a must have for the low pixel density cameras like the 1D X and 5D III. On these bodies 600 is the new 500.

Jul 31, 2012 at 07:57 PM
       3       4       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.