Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Shooting in the studio with a mirrorless camera

bobbytan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Shooting in the studio with a mirrorless camera

Has anyone done any studio shooting (with strobes) with the OM-D or any other mirrorless camera?

How do you overcome the darkening of the viewfinder when you shoot in manual/stop-down mode? If your exposure setting is say 1/125 seconds at f8 at ISO 100 ... your viewfinder goes dark - unlike a DSLR where there VF remains open at the widest aperture, thanks to the reflex mirror.

I had my first quick shoot in the studio with my new OM-D and didn't do too well ... as I had trouble not only with picking the AF point but composing/framing the image because the VF goes dark!

What's a good work-around?

~Bobby

Jul 27, 2012 at 07:06 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Shooting in the studio with a mirrorless camera

I'm not familiar with the OM-D, but in similar cameras I've used there is a mode that shows the image as it would appear with the exposure settings applied. Since it's an electronic "view finder," it's not limited to just one brightness level.

Jul 27, 2012 at 08:16 PM
Mr Kris
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Shooting in the studio with a mirrorless camera

Are you using an actual 4/3 or MFT lens, or some other lens via adapter?

Jul 27, 2012 at 10:08 PM
bobbytan
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Shooting in the studio with a mirrorless camera

That's helpful Brian - thanks! Do you know what that setting or tool is called in the camera you are using? I am assuming you are not referring to the VF brightness setting.

BrianO wrote:
I'm not familiar with the OM-D, but in similar cameras I've used there is a mode that shows the image as it would appear with the exposure settings applied. Since it's an electronic "view finder," it's not limited to just one brightness level.

Jul 27, 2012 at 10:12 PM
bobbytan
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Shooting in the studio with a mirrorless camera

I was using a native Olympus m43 lens.

Mr Kris wrote:
Are you using an actual 4/3 or MFT lens, or some other lens via adapter?

Jul 27, 2012 at 10:13 PM
bobbytan
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Shooting in the studio with a mirrorless camera

I can adjust the brightness of the monitor on the back of the camera (and it helps somewhat) ... but it does not work in the viewfinder - the VF remains dark. Shooting portraits/fashion in the studio you have to use the VF and not the monitor if you want to be taken seriously!

Jul 27, 2012 at 10:40 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Shooting in the studio with a mirrorless camera

BrianO wrote:
I'm not familiar with the OM-D, but in similar cameras I've used there is a mode that shows the image as it would appear with the exposure settings applied.

bobbytan wrote:
That's helpful Brian - thanks! Do you know what that setting or tool is called in the camera you are using? I am assuming you are not referring to the VF brightness setting.

In thinking about it, it may only apply to the rear screen, and not to the VF. Couldn't hurt to try, though; it might work on the VF as well. Check your user guide for sections on Live View, Live View Boost, etc.

Jul 28, 2012 at 02:13 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

bobbytan
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Shooting in the studio with a mirrorless camera

BrianO wrote:
In thinking about it, it may only apply to the rear screen, and not to the VF. Couldn't hurt to try, though; it might work on the VF as well. Check your user guide for sections on Live View, Live View Boost, etc.

Live View Boost I think will work! Thanks Brian!

Jul 29, 2012 at 05:36 AM
RDKirk
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Shooting in the studio with a mirrorless camera

I can't imagine there is no way to brighten the viewfinder--when stopped down--that's a primary benefit of an electronic viewfinder. I would expect you are in a specific "exposure emulation" mode.

As for using the viewfinder or LCD in portrait/fashion situations, that depends on how you shoot. I'm normally on a tripod or camera stand, so using the Live View monitor is exactly like using the groundglass on my view camera or medium format cameras. I compose, study, then actually get out from behind the camera to direct and shoot.

In fact, what I've been doing for the last few months is using a radio remote to get entirely away from the camera after composing, primarily to have the subject keep her eyes on me constantly, whichever direction I direct her to face. If I want her to look down and to the side, I move to the side, squat, and say, "Look at me, small smile, just like this."

Jul 30, 2012 at 12:30 PM
tomrock
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Shooting in the studio with a mirrorless camera

I've shot with a NEX-7 in the studio using strobes and there's a setting in the setup menu called Live View Display. You turn the setting effect Off. I don't know if the OM-D has a similar setting.

Jul 31, 2012 at 11:26 PM
James10013
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Shooting in the studio with a mirrorless camera

Activate "live view boost" in the OM D display menu (detailed camera settings.) This will brighten the display-both EVf and screen.

Aug 01, 2012 at 01:34 AM
jeremymeier
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Shooting in the studio with a mirrorless camera

I think what you're talking about is a setting which allows you to "see the live effect" on the screen or EVF, but that can be turned off so that the lens aperture returns to it's widest setting until you hit the shutter release to capture the image. The aperture will then stop down for the capture, and open back up. My NEX-7 has that mode so that I can see a live view of the effect settings, but should be turned off for studio work when you use smaller apertures. You really can't do that with MF lenses adapted to fit mirror less cams, but native lenses should allow you to shut that feature off...

Nov 10, 2012 at 10:26 PM
adamdewilde
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Shooting in the studio with a mirrorless camera

Fuji Xpro or X-E1 doesn't have the option of doing WYSIWYG.. So you'll be fine with that camera.. Good for studio, but sucks for everything else
(the camera doesn't suck, just the fact that you can't switch to a WYSIWYG setting in M mode)

Nov 24, 2012 at 04:51 AM
Waki
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Shooting in the studio with a mirrorless camera

I've shot a lot with my X100 in the studio. I'm not sure what you gain in the studio with seeing the exposure effect in the viewfinder when changing settings. Given the settings I use it would just be dark. I set my aperture, based on strobe power and shoot. I check the LCD and adjust.

What am I missing here?

Edit: I used to have a EPL-2 and a bunch of lenses which I also used in the studio. Same thing as my X100......

Nov 25, 2012 at 12:06 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password