Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              25      
       27       28       29       end

Archive 2012 · Sony A99

Lee Saxon
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.26 #1 · Sony A99

Weasel, an articulating screen is just one more thing to break under rough shooting conditions. Heck, I wish my D700 didn't even have a pop-up flash. If there had been an articulating screen too I would've held out for a D3 for sure.

Jan 07, 2013 at 12:22 AM
Weasel_Loader
• • •
p.26 #2 · Sony A99

I hear you, but I never get into rough shooting conditions. I mostly shoot landscapes and people. Articulating screen would be used to frame landscape shots when I have it low to the ground on tripod.

Jan 07, 2013 at 12:26 AM
jdc562
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.26 #3 · Sony A99

Lee Saxon wrote:
Weasel, an articulating screen is just one more thing to break under rough shooting conditions. Heck, I wish my D700 didn't even have a pop-up flash. If there had been an articulating screen too I would've held out for a D3 for sure.

This is not an issue for the A99 and its screen options. If you're in rough conditions, just keep the screen of the Sony A99 tucked into its indented parking spot without extending it. For really rough conditions, you can reverse it, parking it with the glass side facing inwards, protecting it from bangs and scratches--and making it even less prone to damage than cameras, such as the D700 and D3 you mention, with fixed outward facing LCDs.

Jan 07, 2013 at 06:48 AM
Jonas B
• • • •
p.26 #4 · Sony A99

Lee Saxon wrote:

I agree with other posters here. On my small and plastic four year old Panasonic G1 the screen is nearly as new. Yup, it is an articulating screen and for the most of the time I have it facing the back side of the camera. My E-M5 screen and my former Sony screens never got damaged.

This is not aimed to you Lee but one can often hear odd objections about anything new. Digital isn't good (well, they are kind of right). An EVF doesn't work in the dark (just better than optical viewfinders). An articulating screen will, without doubt, fall apart. And, we can of course not use a camera with AutoISO in M mode. M is supposed to be manual, no?

Jan 08, 2013 at 04:05 PM
Lee Saxon
• • •
p.26 #5 · Sony A99

As I said in the thread in which I was told that Nikon's 1.8G primes are built tough enough for professional use: it depends on your profession.

Jonas' G1 is mint whereas I've destroyed a D2x, 17-35, and 70-200 shooting college sports. We probably have different checklists when selecting gear.

I'm still considering an A99, but I'd be a little happier if that screen was fixed in place.

jdc562 wrote:
...If you're in rough conditions, just keep the screen of the Sony A99 tucked into its indented parking spot without extending it. For really rough conditions, you can reverse it, parking it with the glass side facing inwards...

It's not the screen itself, about which you are correct. It's the hinge mechanism. So easy to knock something like that out of alignment and get it stuck at some weird angle (or worse).

Jan 08, 2013 at 07:41 PM
naturephoto1
• • •
p.26 #6 · Sony A99

Lee Saxon wrote:
As I said in the thread in which I was told that Nikon's 1.8G primes are built tough enough for professional use: it depends on your profession.

Jonas' G1 is mint whereas I've destroyed a D2x, 17-35, and 70-200 shooting college sports. We probably have different checklists when selecting gear.

I'm still considering an A99, but I'd be a little happier if that screen was fixed in place.

It's not the screen itself, about which you are correct. It's the hinge mechanism. So easy to knock something like that out of alignment and get it stuck at some weird angle (or worse).

Tape it in place with some Gaffers tape?

Rich

Jan 08, 2013 at 07:45 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.26 #7 · Sony A99

The risk of damaging the hinge is minimal if you're not actually using the hinge. I don't see how it could become damaged unless you used the part of the camera as a poor $3000 hammer.

If you're using the battery grip like I assume most pros will be, it's even less damage prone.

Jan 08, 2013 at 07:53 PM
ocean2059
• • •
p.26 #8 · Sony A99

I have been using the A99 for just few days. Sony made lots of progresses relative to the A900. Overall it's wonderful and very capable machine that exceeds my expectations in many ways. I plan to keep my A900 for a while but I don't know for how long. I hope that Sony is going to come out with 36+ MP sensor soon.

As much as I really like the A99, I agree with Lee and find that the hinge on the articulated LCD is very venerable. I will not be using it constantly or in on-the-go situations, as it is not robust enough to take the "abuse". I find that Olympus E-3/5 and Panasonic GH-1/2 have much better built articulated LCD in that regards.

Jan 08, 2013 at 08:46 PM
Jonas B
• • • •
p.26 #9 · Sony A99

Lee Saxon wrote:

Jonas' G1 is mint whereas I've destroyed a D2x, 17-35, and 70-200 shooting college sports. We probably have different checklists when selecting gear. (...)

No, my G1 isn't mint.
The screen is clean though (and I have no problems with the hinge). Pedestrian use only of course, 24K clicks, a lot of traveling and bumping around but nothing that could have killed a D2x. My point was that the hinge allows you to "close" the screen. The EVF is enough (better than a screen actually) for the most of the time and when you sometimes wish for an articulating screen, then it is there.
For your use... I don't know.

Jan 08, 2013 at 08:47 PM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.26 #10 · Sony A99

A lot of people new to Sony will find the sheer breadth of settings and features on the a99 a little daunting. I can recommend the guides by Gary Friedman as excellent technical overviews, and this morning came an email message from camerabooks to indicate the release of a DVD for the a99 which looks interesting and would suit those who 'learn by seeing':

http://www.camerabooks.com/Products/-------------------------------------------------Sony-A99-by-QuickPro-Camera-Guides-%28Tutorial-DVD-for-Sony-Alpha-99%29%29__SonyA99-QuickPro-spc-DVD.aspx

Jan 11, 2013 at 11:31 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

philip_pj
• • • •
p.26 #11 · Sony A99

Perusing the excellent images on the RX1 thread, it occurs to me that noise is really quite different in these cameras. I came across this comment regarding this issue:

'Where the a900 distributes noise in a stochastic, random, haptic film like structure, the a99 is much more uniform, predictable, controlled, gaussian, very even. One is not better or worse than the other. But they do exhibit different visual characteristics which viewers may have preferences for one over the other.' at dyxum.com.

Noise is especially a personal issue, but my preference is for the much more tolerable tighter distribution see in the RX1/a99 output, whereas the a900 was almost offensive at times. The latest 24Mp sensor seems to incorporate noise (loss of signal) into the image production process.

Jan 11, 2013 at 11:37 PM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.26 #12 · Sony A99

Hinged LCD panels are very important to a few kinds of photography - discreet street/cafe work, and PJ spring to mind.

Watching a lot of politics lately, I see a lot of photographers holding their cameras high overhead to try to get a shot of the luminary separated by more fortunately positioned shooters or security personnel. Such people could benefit from using a hinged LCD rather than trusting their camera aiming skills perhaps. If the hinges were to be broken in rough handling or accidents, surely a PJ would simply have it replaced. I would too.

I find myself using the hinged LCD at the first setting at least for shy subjects, and once you get the orientation right it really works rather well. The Sony implementation has the LCD showing all the EVF features which also helps - histo/level in particular.

For more contempative work - tripod especially - the other configurations will surely be a great help, as the setup has hinges that can be turned to almost any angle. It can beat lying prone in the dirt, something I do using a 21mm for handheld up-shooting.

The RX1 users frequently express a wish for two things: a built-in EVF and a hinged LCD. The a99 has both, so Sony should listen to them and fix it next RX model release.

The other camera with this sensor - the Nikon D600 - has an LCD screen that is integral to the back panel; if it gets damaged you need a new camera back panel. Just to put it in perspective.

I feel that Sony was right to include this useful feature, and trust users to exercise discretion about when/how to use it. I am certain that the ability to park the LCD facing into the camera back is a wonderful idea, as it means you use the LCD on a needs basis only, at other times it is snuggled away safely, away from what I see as a much greater danger - casual knocking around damaging the vulnerable and fragile LCD surface.

Jan 12, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Lee Saxon
• • •
p.26 #13 · Sony A99

philip_pj wrote:
The RX1 users frequently express a wish for two things: a built-in EVF and a hinged LCD. The a99 has both, so Sony should listen to them and fix it next RX model release.

Oh God can you imagine how much they'd charge for an RX1 with an EVF?!

Jan 12, 2013 at 12:15 AM
cputeq
• • • •
p.26 #14 · Sony A99

If the hinge is anything like the A77's, I don't see the worry. It's well-built and I used mine extensively with nary a concern. You'd have to get creative in knocking the camera around to actually manage to damage that hinge.

I mean, P&S cameras have had these for ages, with wimpier LCDs and under much more abuse, and I've yet to run across a rash of reports of screwed up LCD hinges...just sayin'

Jan 12, 2013 at 03:18 AM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.26 #15 · Sony A99

It would take quite a bit of violence to break the hinges, you would think. The kind of event that would likely damage other parts of a camera also.

Sony do need to make these changes to the RX1, which gets very close to what experienced high end users expect in other respects. Lee, you might agree they need to do it for the same base price or less. Small cameras can be hard to handhold well, and a finder (but ideally the EVF, not OVF) would be the traditional way of ensuring low levels of camera shake. This applies in spades for a high Mp camera with a great lens.

These parts exist and work very well on the Alpha cameras ((latest EVF on at least one NEX too), so I thing they will do it.

I just flew through Singapore's Changi airport and all the high end camera retailers there were out of stock of the RX1, but had everything else. I'd say it is selling well, maybe better than their expectations.

Jan 12, 2013 at 03:48 AM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.26 #16 · Sony A99

One of Sony's great strengths has been the finely engineered OVF in the a900 and now the EVF (for alt lenses) which deal much more effectively with focus shift. Certainly the EVF in the a99 is simply magnificent being a sensor feed, and this has me looking for more fast lenses that are also excellent stopped down.

I came across some comments from a portraitist who looks very closely at photozone's test LoCA images, with some surprising results from some rather fancy lenses. Portraits of course need close to perfect focus at short focal distances. The claim is that the ZAs and Minolta APOs do much better in this respect than their rivals.

If he is right, and I think he is, it's a good thing most fast lens users often use them exclusively at max aperture.

Interesting that the vaunted 200/2 Nikkor, which suffers focus shift to the extent the reviewer mentions it - twice.

Comments here:

http://www.dyxum.com/dforum/photoclub-alpha-a99-review-mixed-feelings_topic94484_page10.html (40% of the way down the page)

Could it be that EVF becomes *necessary* for accurate focus with higher Mps and the drive to economise on focus systems (the D800 issues) and accessories? Just a thought.

Jan 12, 2013 at 11:38 PM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.26 #17 · Sony A99

I am apparently the only one here with this fine camera, so here is an extended post!

No big deal for me, being an outsider comes naturally to some of us. I am adding to this thread a link to a review by the respected (by me at least) Imaging Resource site, of the a99:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/sony-a99/sony-a99A.HTM

The first page features a ski pro doing a report and some images anyone interested in this level DSLR might take a look at. He mostly really likes it and is very positive re image quality. He had a few minor electronic wobbles and seems to be the kind of person to get worried about this kind of issue, transitory though it generally might be. Perhaps has not much experience with computers ;-)

We always use two cameras, as I know Sony will replace/fix whatever happens and I use insurance - so I don't worry. We just returned from eight weeks in Tibet and India.

Tibet had a temp range of warmest minimum of -10C down to around -25/-30C, in often dusty windy conditions, probably spent 4-6 hours a day outside for 18 days there. Max temps were 7-8C. Nary a problem, but battery life dropped to 150 shots per charge. Not a problem as China has a nationwide, enviable world class power supply.

The camera is returning images of the quality you can see in this review, and now Adobe has a very harmonious new RC engine in ACR7.2 (and no doubt in LR) that suits the new sensor to a tee.

Now - the big thing is dynamic range. Light in Tibet is extraordinary, the place has no real atmosphere, has 60-70% the oxygen you have at sea level, you can see clearly for 50-80kms, and has ultra bright skies and very deep shadows. I would say maybe 3-4 images I shot got past the sensor at both ends using my preferred neutral settings, whereas with the a900 it would have been (as experienced before) 50-60 or so. I am yet to see a shot I lost for anything other than my mistakes or unseen circumstances (pretty frequent for my material).

Next IQ related feature is the noise pattern, and noise performance at levels around 1600-3200 - it is very 'tight' and even, and does not interfere with the results almost at all, leaving good detail intact...despite the small loss to the SLT. IR, under 'Image Quality' appear to understand the fine balance needed for detail retention and noise smoothing. I feel Sony got the balance quite right for the kind of noise the sensor produces.

Tested against the 5DII, D600 and D800, they say this:

'Bottom line, the Sony A99 easily holds its own with the big boys from other companies.' In fact their image comparisons were a big factor in buying one 2-3 weeks before the trip.

The sensor is very good, and without exaggeration is a key factor in the images produced by the RX1, which has many experienced shooters very impressed indeed, me included. I'd love one. I have lenses every bit as good or better however, for my purposes.

But the real heart is the fine EVF and its features, also detailed upthread. A quote that mirrors my experience from this outdoor pro:

'I am also convinced that the electronic viewfinder is a great resource when shooting non-standard exposures as it gives you an incredibly good real-time impression of what your exposure settings will create.'

I now actually wallk around some interior locations looking through the finder as I am finding the capabilites of the camera are so much better than I can imagine - and I am looking at a very good representation of *what the sensor records*.

The 'cons' in this review seem a little petty compared with the IQ related 'pros' I feel, especially for my type of usage. They end with this:

'The A99 produces crisp, sharp, beautiful still images even at high ISO levels. The combination of the Sony Alpha A99's full-frame sensor, sensor-based SteadyShot image stabilization and, of course, some quality lenses, produced top-flight images with exceptional dynamic range. And its 14-bit RAW files allow for immense latitude and adjustment in post production.'

I wholeheartedly agree, the robustness of the files in post is astounding, and add that capture RAW file size is now ~24Mp compared with the ~36Mb of the a900. 620 RAWs to a 16Gb card, 1240 shots for 32Gb.

Other news: the price has dropped I see, prob around $2400-2500 or so now. Excellent value for money. And Sony is releasing firmware very soon, I don't known why.

Lest you feel I am just another over-oxygenated one-eyed fan, nothing is further from the truth, any more than these guys are. I hope everyone loves the images their cameras give them, and they are as happy with them as I am with this one. I have been doing this for decades and think there is a place for all kinds of cameras in the market - the more choice the better.

Jan 26, 2013 at 09:50 AM
formula4speed
• • •
p.26 #18 · Sony A99

Thanks for posting Philip. I'm very tempted to sell off my Canon gear for this camera, since I got my OM-D I am finding that I actually prefer an EVF to an OVF. There are a couple lenses I would miss, but the selection on the Sony side seems adequate.

Where are you seeing the price drop you mentioned? I don't see anything at the big US retailers.

Jan 26, 2013 at 04:43 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.26 #19 · Sony A99

philip_pj wrote:
I wholeheartedly agree, the robustness of the files in post is astounding, and add that capture RAW file size is now ~24Mp compared with the ~36Mb of the a900. 620 RAWs to a 16Gb card, 1240 shots for 32Gb.

FWIW, I believe that is because shooting raw on the A99 is like shooting cRAW on the A900.

Jan 26, 2013 at 04:56 PM
Jonas B
• • • •
p.26 #20 · Sony A99

douglasf13 wrote:
FWIW, I believe that is because shooting raw on the A99 is like shooting cRAW on the A900.

If you don't mind me being a bit a bit lazy; what exactly does that mean?
My memory may be failing me but I recall cRAW as a Canon (and perhaps others as well) thing were the resolution is decreased. Is that right? If so, are you saying the raw files from the A99 aren't 24Mbit 14-bit files? Or, is cRAW simply meaning compressed raw files?

Jan 26, 2013 at 06:05 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password