Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4              28       29       end

Archive 2012 · Sony A99

Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Sony A99

sebboh wrote:
i don't want it to be larger.

You know, strangely, I would like it to be a little larger - maybe an inch or so taller so all my fingers wrap around the grip and don't hang off the bottom. I think that would also help with some of the larger lenses and accessories that would likely be used with a FF body. There is also the stigma of showing up for a job with something that looks close to the size of a P&S but I guess accessory battery holders and so forth could take care of that.

Jul 26, 2012 at 11:24 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Sony A99

Sounds like an a77 or a65 with the slt mirror removed.

Jul 27, 2012 at 12:30 AM
mawz
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Sony A99

sebboh wrote:
i don't want it to be larger.

I actually would, but not too much larger. I think it would benefit from a small size increase to better balance really fast FF glass. I'm thinking 50/1.2's, 85/1.4's, 35/1.4's here, I find the 7 usable with the larger glass, but it really does balance better with the smaller FF lenses.

Jul 27, 2012 at 03:12 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Sony A99

mawz wrote:
I actually would, but not too much larger. I think it would benefit from a small size increase to better balance really fast FF glass. I'm thinking 50/1.2's, 85/1.4's, 35/1.4's here, I find the 7 usable with the larger glass, but it really does balance better with the smaller FF lenses.

i actually prefer the nex-7 grip to many dslrs with my 50/1.2s, 85/1.4, and 35/1.4 even though i only have two fingers around the grip. i'd much rather have the option to go as small as possible and attach an add on grip (like jim buchanan's) for times when it would be useful (only on a tripod for me).

Jul 27, 2012 at 03:40 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Sony A99

Tariq Gibran wrote:
Yeah, AF would be nice to have on occasion. I think what everyone really wants is just a larger, FF mirrorless option - a NEX-7 on steroids.

I'd buy it eventually, once I start getting more out of focus shots than in with the a900. As long as I've got a good focusing aid, lacking AF wouldn't bother me. I've been trying out some AF lenses and I can't say it's been a positive user experience. The amount of whining I've done over AF motor noise and the need for micro-adjust is on par with Matthew Broderick's character in "Biloxi Blues" when he's whining about the heat.

Jul 27, 2012 at 04:09 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Sony A99

freaklikeme wrote:
I'd buy it eventually, once I start getting more out of focus shots than in with the a900. As long as I've got a good focusing aid, lacking AF wouldn't bother me. I've been trying out some AF lenses and I can't say it's been a positive user experience. The amount of whining I've done over AF motor noise and the need for micro-adjust is on par with Matthew Broderick's character in "Biloxi Blues" when he's whining about the heat.

yeah, once you get pretty good at manual focus your tolerance for autofocus quirks rapidly diminishes.

Jul 27, 2012 at 04:16 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Sony A99

sebboh wrote:
yeah, once you get pretty good at manual focus your tolerance for autofocus quirks rapidly diminishes.

I think it makes it more difficult to get true candids as well. People seemed to be tuned to the sound of an AF motor.

Jul 27, 2012 at 04:31 AM
thrice
• • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Sony A99

ricardovaste wrote:
For it to not be an a77 with a full-frame sensor stuck in. Alas, I'm just hopeful. Not in the market for a camera, but I take an interest as this is the only system I use.

It won't be...

Jul 27, 2012 at 10:04 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Sony A99

Thrice, I was implying that the next camera, supposed "a99", will simply be that - an a77 with a FF sensor stuck in. This is what I personally wouldn't want. Are you saying the a99 won't be that, or the 2013 cam won't be that?

Yes, I'm aware I've made things more difficult than they needed to be

Jul 27, 2012 at 10:08 AM
thrice
• • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Sony A99

I'm saying the A99 will be quite different and quite superior to the A77 from a body/features perspective even if you ignore the FF sensor.

I understand people being critical of the 24MP sensor and not wanting the framerate, but there are obviously people who DO want the framerate, the phase detect AF in video and the improved ISO performance. For people who want low ISO colour, OVF and a conventional SLR... the A900 is quite cheap on the used market.

There is a lot of anti-EVF sentiment and I suggest those who so strongly oppose it have a look through an A77 or NEX-7 OLED EVF. The contrast in these can be adjusted as well. The A99 EVF is superior again.

Jul 27, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

carstenw
• • • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Sony A99

I have looked through both A77 and NEX-7 EVFs, and do not really like either. Clearly such an interface has strengths, but the optical viewfinder is just a completely different way to compose and see things. The optical viewfinder is clearly hitting its limitations with 24MP and 36MP cameras, for narrow depth of field, however.

FWIW, I have compared the NEX-7 and Olympus VF-2 viewfinders, and prefer the latter, in spite of its lower resolution. the gaps between pixels is smaller, or something, and it reacts a little quicker.

Jul 27, 2012 at 10:48 AM
mawz
• • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Sony A99

ricardovaste wrote:
Thrice, I was implying that the next camera, supposed "a99", will simply be that - an a77 with a FF sensor stuck in. This is what I personally wouldn't want. Are you saying the a99 won't be that, or the 2013 cam won't be that?

Yes, I'm aware I've made things more difficult than they needed to be

Every indication is that while the A99 will share a lot of A77 DNA, it will be a significant upgrade in most regards. A new, far more capable AF system, wider ISO range and other upgrades, but similar ergonomics, control layout and LCD articulation. I'd expect an upgraded EVF as well, but it may not be a huge improvement over the A77's, depends on what Sony's come up with for small OLED panels.

Edited on Jul 27, 2012 at 12:27 PM · View previous versions

Jul 27, 2012 at 12:24 PM
mawz
• • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Sony A99

sebboh wrote:
i actually prefer the nex-7 grip to many dslrs with my 50/1.2s, 85/1.4, and 35/1.4 even though i only have two fingers around the grip. i'd much rather have the option to go as small as possible and attach an add on grip (like jim buchanan's) for times when it would be useful (only on a tripod for me).

For me, I want something more akin to an M in size, the NEX-7 is pretty much at the lower limit of the size I'm comfortable with and putting larger/heavier glass on it compromises the handling for me. But I do agree that it handles better than many (most/all) DSLR's with primes attached, but I only really like DSLR handling with actually large lenses like 70-200/2.8's, which I don't use anyways.

Jul 27, 2012 at 12:27 PM
michael49
• • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Sony A99

dasrocket wrote:
....+1. Even though OVFs are much better to look through IMO, focusing fast glass is quite a different experience between the NEX 7 and 5D2. Peaking on the other hand, I only find accurate on WAs or stopped down enough to ensure a good in focus range.

I'm going to have to disagree with this. I would say that I'm able to get a high percentage of my shots in focus with fast glass using peaking, but its taken some practice.

FD 50 1.4 @ f/2.....

f/2 again....

C/Y 50 1.7, f/2....

FD 50 f/1.4, f/2.8...

Jul 27, 2012 at 01:10 PM
alwang
• • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Sony A99

If Sony really does a FF mirrorless, I'd like to see them be a little more creative as far as form factor. I actually think a boxier design held like a small Hasselblad (with a tiltable EVF/screen) is a more comfortable fit for using a range of lens sizes rather than sticking a large lens on a rangefinder-like body. Making a body thin is only useful to a point if the lens is jutting out orthogonally. Or even finding a way to bring back their old DSC-F707 body design, which I always thought was extremely effective for waist level shooting.

Jul 27, 2012 at 01:14 PM
mirkoc
• • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Sony A99

thrice wrote:
There is a lot of anti-EVF sentiment and I suggest those who so strongly oppose it have a look through an A77 or NEX-7 OLED EVF. The contrast in these can be adjusted as well. The A99 EVF is superior again.

So how big is it, as A900 OVF or bigger?

What about other completely new features? Anything ground braking?

Jul 27, 2012 at 01:47 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Sony A99

michael49 wrote:
I'm going to have to disagree with this. I would say that I'm able to get a high percentage of my shots in focus with fast glass using peaking, but its taken some practice.

but those are all at f/2-2.8 where peaking really shines. at f/1.2-1.4 i find peaking to not be consistant enough to count on.

Jul 27, 2012 at 04:16 PM
Joseph Marney
• • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Sony A99

carstenw wrote:
FWIW, I have compared the NEX-7 and Olympus VF-2 viewfinders, and prefer the latter, in spite of its lower resolution. the gaps between pixels is smaller, or something, and it reacts a little quicker.

Same experience b/w the NEX-7 and OM-D. Even though the OM-D EVF is lower resolution, it doesn't block up as bad and isn't nearly as noisy when boosting for low light. Also, I experienced a strange color shift with the NEX-7 my eye was not right on axis with the viewfinder.

And, having owned the A850 - very much preferred that to either, but I'm realize that EVf is pretty much the future, and am not going to sit here and curmudgeonly oppose it, but rather hope for it's continued improvement.

Jul 27, 2012 at 04:26 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Sony A99

Joseph Marney wrote:
Same experience b/w the NEX-7 and OM-D. Even though the OM-D EVF is lower resolution, it doesn't block up as bad and isn't nearly as noisy when boosting for low light. Also, I experienced a strange color shift with the NEX-7 my eye was not right on axis with the viewfinder.

And, having owned the A850 - very much preferred that to either, but I'm realize that EVf is pretty much the future, and am not going to sit here and curmudgeonly oppose it, but rather hope for it's continued improvement.

i agree about the VF-2 viewfinder looking more natural with stock settings, but a few tweaks to the jpeg settings made the NEX-7 evf look better than the OM-D to me. more importantly (to me), i find manual focus without magnification or peaking to be much more accurate with the NEX-7 evf and it's not even close when you add peaking. the big problem with the NEX-7 evf for me is it's sensitivity to eye location combined with the terrible eye cup. your eye must be exactly in the center of the viewfinder otherwise you see lots of smearing, CA, etc and the eye cup is too poorly shaped to easily rest against to hold your eye in the right position (it's not so good at actually blocking light either). i don't remember whether the a77 is better in this regard. i've been using the rubber hood from my 40 cron as an eye cup on my NEX-7 and it is a big improvement for maintaining eye position, but doesn't do near as well at blocking stray light since it has a much bigger opening. got find a good source for binocular or telescope eye cups...

Jul 27, 2012 at 04:41 PM
dasrocket
• • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Sony A99

michael49 wrote:

YMMV..the problem I find with peaking is that with 1.2s and 1.4s the red mark shows a thicker slice of in-focus area than what I actually get in the image. In the two shots below, the focused area was within the "red" even though I slightly adjusted the barrel on my Oly 50 1.4

Oly 50 1.4 -both shots within peaked range

Jul 27, 2012 at 04:48 PM
1       2      

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password