Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · How I sped up LR4.1

louloulou
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · How I sped up LR4.1

I just did the bios method moved to 'extreme' and the preference file method which is Lightroom 4 Preferences.agprefs for windows 7

these have improved LR4 dramatically. The cloning and healing are still a bit sticky but nothing like before.

Thanks morganb and andrewho!!!!!!

to find the pref File locations in Windows 7 and Vista click link below takes you to adobe

from link

Jul 27, 2012 at 02:56 AM
maxwell1295
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · How I sped up LR4.1

For Win7 and Vista (people still use this?)

Hit Start, type "%appdata%" (no quotes) and press enter.
Open 'Adobe' folder
Open 'Lightroom' folder
Open 'Preferences' folder
Rename "Lightroom 4 Preferences.agprefs" to something else (like "old lightroom 4 preferences.agprefs").

Start Lightroom (and make sure you choose your correct catalog). This probably killed a few of your settings, so you can redo those if you feel this sped things up. If you don't feel it's any faster, just repeat the steps above, deleting the new preferences file that Lightroom created and renaming the old one back.

Jul 27, 2012 at 03:07 AM
louloulou
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · How I sped up LR4.1

maxwell1295 wrote:

Open 'Adobe' folder
Open 'Lightroom' folder
Rename "Lightroom 4 Preferences.agprefs" to something else (like "old lightroom 4 preferences.agprefs").

Start Lightroom (and make sure you choose your correct catalog). This probably killed a few of your settings, so you can redo those if you feel this sped things up. If you don't feel it's any faster, just repeat the steps above, deleting the new preferences file that Lightroom created and renaming the old one back.

thanks!

Jul 27, 2012 at 03:11 AM
morganb4
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · How I sped up LR4.1

To all doubters. I have spent last 3 days in a pitch fight with an SQL server. The absolute last thing I feel like doing now is benchmarking my own machine. In fact if I see another computer again in the next week it will throw it on the river.

Jul 27, 2012 at 09:45 AM
Ziffl3
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · How I sped up LR4.1

maxwell1295 wrote:

Open 'Adobe' folder
Open 'Lightroom' folder

thats it ...thanks Alan.

mine was corrupted after LR2/LR3/LR4 being installed.

Jul 27, 2012 at 12:47 PM
EVO088
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · How I sped up LR4.1

louloulou wrote:
When you say you renamed it you're talking about the file extension, yes? I'm just thinking of copying the file to an external drive first and then deleting it.

opps .. sorry for the late response! Yes, I just renamed the file to .123 and when I reopen LR .. LR re-generated a new file

Jul 27, 2012 at 02:30 PM
maniu

p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · How I sped up LR4.1

BIG THANKS FOR THE TIP
After deleting the profile file the difference is night an day on my system. I would say at least 50% boost in responsiveness.
M.

Jul 27, 2012 at 04:44 PM
morganb4
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · How I sped up LR4.1

Benched using XBench. Between 17% and 19% improvement in speed. Note the setting question is not affecting the RAM speed but apparently is a memory controller optimisation.

So if the RAM or the controller is bottlenecking, then an improvement like this could be good if it brakes the bottleneck.

Jul 29, 2012 at 09:19 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · How I sped up LR4.1

maxwell1295 wrote:

Open 'Adobe' folder
Open 'Lightroom' folder

Geez! Why didn't I do this sooner. That made a world of difference. This is the fastest LR has EVER been for me. It still delays the initial develop module startup; but dear God, it's blazing fast the rest of the time now. Preview/Grid loads are finally instant! It's so fast now, I may never do another update. lol Thanks for the easy instructions Alan.

Jul 29, 2012 at 09:43 AM
maxwell1295
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · How I sped up LR4.1

Don't thank me! Thank Andrew Ho. If he didn't bring it up, I would have never googled it.

Jul 29, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

davidimdpt
• •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · How I sped up LR4.1

I know this is an old thread but how do you choose the correct catalog after you rename the catalog?

Oct 05, 2012 at 05:41 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · How I sped up LR4.1

Double click the actual catalog file itself.

Oct 05, 2012 at 05:58 PM
davidimdpt
• •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · How I sped up LR4.1

amonline wrote:
Double click the actual catalog file itself.

Thanks for the quick response. I'm at work so I'll try that when I get home. Just to be clear, all I have to do is double click on the new preferences file after I name it and open it up with LR?

Oct 05, 2012 at 06:10 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · How I sped up LR4.1

No. You asked how to open a catalog you renamed. Just double click it.

If you're asking about the pref file, that doesn't matter. Just follow the instructions.

Oct 05, 2012 at 09:59 PM
davidimdpt
• •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · How I sped up LR4.1

Thanks,
I got confused when the instructions stated "Start Lightroom (and make sure you choose your correct catalog)" I thought you might have been referring to choosing the new preferences folder since when I started LR it couldn't find the original files. I appreciate the help.

Oct 05, 2012 at 10:26 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · How I sped up LR4.1

No problem.

Oct 05, 2012 at 11:22 PM
HawksFan66
• •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · How I sped up LR4.1

I tried this and can no longer access my most recent (since updating to LR4) catalogs. HELP PLEASE!

Nov 09, 2012 at 12:13 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · How I sped up LR4.1

You tried what? There are a few things mentioned in this thread. And, where are your catalogs stored?

Nov 09, 2012 at 12:39 AM
morganb4
• • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · How I sped up LR4.1

Deleted his preferences I think

Nov 09, 2012 at 12:58 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · How I sped up LR4.1

The directions don't say to "delete" them. Not completely, anyway.

Regardless, find your catalog and double-click it.

Nov 09, 2012 at 02:39 AM
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password