Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

Archive 2012 · How many D800/E and D4 have the focus issue?

LivLif
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · How many D800/E and D4 have the focus issue?

EltonTeng wrote:
I guess I will find out about the D4 on Wednesday!

You can check no. It's perfect!

Jul 25, 2012 at 12:34 AM
LivLif
• • •
p.2 #2 · How many D800/E and D4 have the focus issue?

I had a D4 and have a D800 now. Neither had focal point issues.

Jul 25, 2012 at 12:35 AM
ontopofm

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · How many D800/E and D4 have the focus issue?

My 2 D800s are waiting for pick up at El Segundo service point. Dropped off on the 17th and was ready for pick up since yesterday.

Jul 25, 2012 at 05:12 PM
hkurkela
• •
p.2 #4 · How many D800/E and D4 have the focus issue?

I have a D4 and a D800E and both are OK, as far as I can see from my testing.

Heikki

Jul 25, 2012 at 06:02 PM
gugs
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · How many D800/E and D4 have the focus issue?

Both my D800 and D4 are ok.

Guy

Jul 25, 2012 at 08:39 PM
form
• • • •
p.2 #6 · How many D800/E and D4 have the focus issue?

Having trouble telling if my d800 is good or not. I only have an 85 f/1.8g and just got my first nikon camera ever today...

Jul 26, 2012 at 12:07 AM
akclimber
• • • •
p.2 #7 · How many D800/E and D4 have the focus issue?

My D800e has the problem

Jul 26, 2012 at 04:48 AM
JoeMelzer
• •
p.2 #8 · How many D800/E and D4 have the focus issue?

My D800 has the problem. At first I was quite upset, but then again I can work around this easily. As soon as there is definately a fix for all bodies - and it appears right now there isn't - I'll send it in for repair and be done with it

Jul 26, 2012 at 07:33 AM
patriot
• •
p.2 #9 · How many D800/E and D4 have the focus issue?

Might be more interesting to track this based on what % of each camera have this issue. Right now it seems that almost half the D800's are effected, a much higher rate than the D800E and D4. Yet all 3 share the same AF unit.

Also would be interesting, in another other poll, to track the successful fix % by service center on the 1st try, 2nd try, 3rd, or more. Nikon would go insane if the more than 1 or 2 % need more than one try to fix it, rightfully so, which might just lead to the proper house cleaning in the DC's bringing dishonor on Nikon.

Jul 26, 2012 at 10:21 AM
traylorc
• •
p.2 #10 · How many D800/E and D4 have the focus issue?

davidnholtjr wrote:
It seems to me that Nikon has rushed the D800 and D4 to beat Canon out of the gate to get new stuff out. Have not really heard any problems with Canons new big guns.

I'm not sure it's simply a matter of Nikon rushing the D800 and D4 out to the market. IMHO one of the downsides of being a manufacturer of electronic products is that occasionally there are going to be issues with your products.

Jul 26, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

maljo
• •
p.2 #11 · How many D800/E and D4 have the focus issue?

No focus issue on D800E.

Jul 26, 2012 at 01:30 PM
Smridevan
• •
p.2 #12 · How many D800/E and D4 have the focus issue?

patriot wrote:
Also would be interesting, in another other poll, to track the successful fix % by service center on the 1st try, 2nd try, 3rd, or more. Nikon would go insane if the more than 1 or 2 % need more than one try to fix it, rightfully so, which might just lead to the proper house cleaning in the DC's bringing dishonor on Nikon.

Yes, that would be interesting to know but I don't think there's enough data out there yet on that. I'm also interested in knowing whether they have a fix yet because I need to send mine in as well.

Jul 26, 2012 at 04:03 PM
gugs
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · How many D800/E and D4 have the focus issue?

BTW I voted for no problem with my D800, I could not vote for no problem with my D4 at the same time. The results might be a bit biased, knowing that several people use different bodies over here....

Guy

Jul 26, 2012 at 08:27 PM
Nikon Rob
• •
p.2 #14 · How many D800/E and D4 have the focus issue?

patriot wrote:
Right now it seems that almost half the D800's are effected, a much higher rate than the D800E and D4. Yet all 3 share the same AF unit.

You really can't base the overall percentage on a poll like this. People with the problem are MUCH more likely to be coming in and reading threads like this than people without the problem. I'd be very surprised if even 25% of them actually had a problem big enough to show up.

Jul 27, 2012 at 12:17 PM
rick_reno
• •
p.2 #15 · How many D800/E and D4 have the focus issue?

cynerjist wrote:
ordered a D800 direct from Nikon store serial # 3027xxx -- AF tested on 50/1.8 -- all good

Mine is # 3027xxx too, and appears to be good.

Jul 27, 2012 at 01:30 PM
m_appeal
• • •
p.2 #16 · How many D800/E and D4 have the focus issue?

Don't have it.

Jul 28, 2012 at 01:53 PM
najibs
• • •
p.2 #17 · How many D800/E and D4 have the focus issue?

It's funny how such a HUGE deal is made from this issue. I mean, who the heck uses the left most focusing point all the time?

I bet most of the people would have NEVER noticed the issue, had they not read about it. Some people have sooo much time going out of their way to deliberately find a problem.

Jul 28, 2012 at 04:02 PM
caad4rep
• •
p.2 #18 · How many D800/E and D4 have the focus issue?

najibs wrote:
It's funny how such a HUGE deal is made from this issue. I mean, who the heck uses the left most focusing point all the time?

I bet most of the people would have NEVER noticed the issue, had they not read about it. Some people have sooo much time going out of their way to deliberately find a problem.

I actually find this to be a huge deal. I don't use the left point, right point, top point, etc... all the time but I do use them. If Nikon can't make the Left point or any of the outside points work, why are they there?

I'll also add that I sent my camera to Nikon twice before evening knowing that this an ongoing D800 issue. When I camera came back the second time not fixed I took to the forums to cause a ruckus only to find many others were having this problem.

Another problem this is causing is resale. The D800 has worn out it's welcome in my camp. I am so frustrated with this camera and Nikon that I just want to go back to shooting a D3 or D700. So, IF my camera comes back from Nikon and the 3rd time is a charm and it's fixed I would like to sell it and pick up a used D3. What can I get for a my D800? How many people are going to take a risk on a used D800 knowing they have no warranty?

Jul 28, 2012 at 04:16 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.2 #19 · How many D800/E and D4 have the focus issue?

I've been spending lots of time tweaking the MA on my D800E, and retesting the AF accuracy with my various lenses. I've confirmed that the left AF issue only affects my 14-24mm f2.8, and I've also discovered that it only happens when the camera is horizontal - that same AF point works fine if the camera is shot vertically. Has anyone else with an affected camera noticed this?

Jul 29, 2012 at 01:26 AM
Nikon Rob
• •
p.2 #20 · How many D800/E and D4 have the focus issue?

molson wrote:
I've been spending lots of time tweaking the MA on my D800E, and retesting the AF accuracy with my various lenses. I've confirmed that the left AF issue only affects my 14-24mm f2.8, and I've also discovered that it only happens when the camera is horizontal - that same AF point works fine if the camera is shot vertically. Has anyone else with an affected camera noticed this?

To me that doesn't sound like the AF misalignment issue people are reporting (but I could be wrong). I had that happen when I first tried my camera simply because of what I was trying to focus on. The outer focus points only detect information vertically, and I guess the object I was trying to focus on was repetitive along that axis, so it was missing focus. When I tried focusing on something else it worked fine. Unless I'm misunderstanding something I don't see how else the autofocus could be affected by the orientation of the camera, since the autofocus module doesn't even know the camera's orientation.

Have you tried multiple different objects/test charts with the camera to confirm the issue?

Jul 29, 2012 at 03:52 AM
       3       4       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password