New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · Thinking about diving into medium format

Deezie
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Thinking about diving into medium format

If you intend on shooting for commercial jobs, almost all art directors require digital files on set. They're used to seeing the images come up on screen and participating in the process of evaluating what's being shot. I don't know a single client who would allow me to shoot on film. Like others have said - shooting personal work is not an issue, but for clients, they're going to want digital.

Edited on Jul 28, 2012 at 09:00 AM · View previous versions

Jul 26, 2012 at 10:33 AM
RDKirk
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Thinking about diving into medium format

Unless you're a rare star like Norman Jean Roy. But I'm not sure if even he shoots film on commercial jobs, versus editorial.

Edit: Hah, just saw a video of NJR shooting a commercial job with a digital Hasselblad tethered to a laptop.

Edited on Jul 31, 2012 at 07:46 AM · View previous versions

Jul 26, 2012 at 01:40 PM
RDKirk
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Thinking about diving into medium format

Flatbed scanning 4x5 is more successful than medium format because of the thinness of the medium format film base. Flatness is a huge factor with that thin base (it was a huge factor for analog enlarging, too). You will want to pursue some kind of glass carrier solution with medium format on a flatbed, and those have their own pros and cons. Or go to a drum or tension-type scanner.

Jul 26, 2012 at 01:43 PM
cineski
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Thinking about diving into medium format

IIRC, Jobo was set to come out with a brand new processor. There are a lot of photographers buying their own scanners like the Fuji Frontier because processing and scanning at a lab is outrageously expensive. I scan using a Nikon 9000 and it honestly drives me nuts scanning a job. However, the results are absolutely amazing.

Jul 28, 2012 at 10:00 AM
cmpine

p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Thinking about diving into medium format

As others here have mentioned, shooting medium format film is an entirely different experience than shooting 35mm film. It is far slower and more deliberate. I am a former wedding photographer (1980s-1990s). I used mostly Hasselblad 500C/M, which has a manual film advance that required a full circle turn of the film advance. The medium format lenses are much larger and heavier than anything that you are used to. This also applies to the excellent Mamiya RZ systems, which are even heavier than the Hasselblads and Bronicas. There is no question that medium format will require a slower workflow. If you are used to shooting hundreds of frames per minute in a studio setting, that number will likely be reduced to 20 to 30 per minute with a medium format film system, even with an autowinder. Remember that autowinders on a 6x6 or 6x7cm format have to move a lot more film per frame and to do so safely and consistently is a much slower process than a Nikon F Series with winder.

My advice is that if you are looking for a much higher resolution system that will actually be enjoyable to use in a fast-moving studio setting, move up to a D800, which has a resolution that rivals today's medium format DSLRs. I have two of these. They are much lighter weight and ergonomic to use than medium format cameras of any type. Further, Nikon F lenses cost far less than comparable medium format lenses. You should also consider that within another 5 years or so, the average pro DSLR will have higher resolution than today's medium format DSLRs, so to move to medium format now may not be your best move.

Jul 30, 2012 at 10:58 PM
ericevans
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Thinking about diving into medium format

I have went medium format digital and I have pretty much left it except for my Cambo wide and a few backs. Other than architecture and landscapes I hate it now, for those purposes it is great for the rest it slows me down. I have went back to shooting Canon and mostly on a 5DMarkII which I love. I also had a complete RZ system for a while and did not care for it with digital backs.

Nov 19, 2012 at 02:18 AM
anthonygh
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Thinking about diving into medium format

Think about a 6 X 4.5 format.....negs are still 6X the area of 35mm film but the gear is generally cheaper and much easier to handle.

I scan these negs on a V700 and maybe I'm lucky but my A3 prints easily match those from my 5D for sheer visual impact (note I only use B+W film).

There is the option to add a digital back later if the right body is available.

Dec 05, 2012 at 01:48 PM
Sid Ceaser
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Thinking about diving into medium format

dmacmillan wrote:
I still have a JOBO 4x5 drum in the basement. I imagine JOBO is long gone.

JOBO is back is back in production with a new updated model and being sold through Freestyle: http://www.freestylephoto.biz/40831-Jobo-CPP-3-Processor-Kit-with-Lift-and-Cog

I was raised and trained on film and for a long time after switching over to digital, the film gear sat in the closet unused and the film stacked in the fridge.

Sometime last year I promised to start shooting more film again; it just has something about it that looks better than digital, IMHO. I love getting back into the "zone" that I used to get into when shooting film.

If you can get an RZ for cheap (I used to have an RB67 before switching to Hasselblad - that thing was a TANK of a camera) definitely pick one up and start playing with it. Pick up some cheap 120 b&w rolls and start learning the habits of the camera. I've been using my Hassy as a weekend "general" camera to have on me, and I try to break it out at the end of sessions with clients and just grab a roll or two.

Someday I'd like to pick up a digital back for the Hasselblad, simply because I've never loved using a camera more than it. Just the *KA-SLAP!* it makes is music to my ears.

Cheers,
Sid

Jan 12, 2013 at 08:25 AM
       end

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.