Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

Archive 2012 · Any Nikon to Canon converts over here?

nburwell
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Any Nikon to Canon converts over here?

When the EOS 20D was originally released, I sold my D70 and made the conversion. I haven't looked back since. I have been tempted by the D800, but I love my 5DII too much to part ways with it. Plus, I have a decent amount of Canon glass that I cherish as well.

-Nick

Jul 27, 2012 at 10:26 AM
mick5

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Any Nikon to Canon converts over here?

I switched from 7D to Nikon D800, i didnt have many canon lens so i didnt loss much, But now i have D800 and nikon 24-70mm f/2.8 (D800 has has only 84 click both new)which is my second D800 first had focus left focus problem, iam switching back to 5DIII i miss handling of canon.

Jul 27, 2012 at 01:23 PM
Paul Gardner
• • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Any Nikon to Canon converts over here?

I doubt that I will ever switch to Nikon, although I added a D800E and a 24mm F1.4
to the stable. This will hold me until Canon gets off the movie kick and gives us a 40/60 MP replacement for the 1DSIII. I will probaly dump the D800E at that point. I guess I just much prefer the handling of the Canon. I had hoped that the Nikon wluld grow on me but so far it hasen't happened.

Jul 29, 2012 at 10:18 AM
vchowdhary
• • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Any Nikon to Canon converts over here?

Switched to Canon for about a year and a half and back to Nikon.

Primary reason was to get an affordable super tele (500 IS). Fell in love with the 85 L II and the 35L.

Still prefer Canon colors. But Canon sensor tech is way behind the competition right now. Maybe the next refresh will bring them upto spec or beyond the Sony sensors. May consider changing then.

Jul 29, 2012 at 01:20 PM
nswelton
• •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Any Nikon to Canon converts over here?

switched to nikon and then back to canon over the course of the last 8 months.

reasons for coming back to canon: way better AF assist performance on the strobes, like the skin tones & colors way more, like the ergonomics more, 70-200 f4is, 135 f2, 50 1.2, 600ex units, no more radio poppers.

Jul 29, 2012 at 04:21 PM
Tim Ashton
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Any Nikon to Canon converts over here?

kewlcanon wrote:
^^^ talk to molson, he switches back and forth 4 times in a year .

+1

But which brand?? I would love a 5D3/D800/1dx/d4/the oly omd5 and my D7k continues to produce. We are now so blessed with choices it doesnt really matter

Answer? A bigger camera bag

Tim

Jul 29, 2012 at 04:46 PM
Side1Cincy
• •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Any Nikon to Canon converts over here?

I had a Nikon F100 and had a nicer p&s Nikon...when I went to switch to an DLSR, at the time I felt that the 20d was a better option than the D70. Never saw a reason to switch as I'm a hobbyist, so I don't need the latest and greatest.

Jul 29, 2012 at 09:45 PM
ntv369
• •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Any Nikon to Canon converts over here?

I switched to Canon, due to the yellow cast in NIKON. Even the D4 has it. Canon color reproduction is perfect. And one more reason , Canon's 300mm USM F/2.8 lens and 500mm f/4 lens and 135mm f/2 lens.

Jul 29, 2012 at 10:54 PM
mick5

p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Any Nikon to Canon converts over here?

Iam planing to get 5D MkIII with 17-40mm and 70-200mm f4

Jul 30, 2012 at 09:50 AM
Dgw2

p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Any Nikon to Canon converts over here?

I am a serious amateur. Mostly family, kids sports, and a real passion for ducks and now other birds. I started with Rebel (not much invested then). When I got serious I went to a Nikon D300 and really liked it. Then I pulled the trigger on a D700 and loved it. I always struggled with long lens stuff just felt the need for more pixels as I was cropping all the time. As result I dumped all my Nikon gear (by that time I had acquired a lot) and went to a 7D/5D Mark II combo. I still really missed my D700 though so I eventually got rid of the 7D and got a 1D Mark IV and then the 5D Mark III. Only now do I really feel like I am truly comfortable with my set up all around. I have since invested in a 500mm for the birds and like the options for lenses available more so for Canon than those of Nikon. I am glad I did not hold out for the D800 as I really do not think it would have worked as well for me. I was not in need of the extreme pixel count, just more than the 12mp on the full-frame. I really like my current gear and right now do not have a want for anything else. I could probably even just live with just the Mark III but I really like that 1D body and high frame rate i get with the Mark IV. That's my story.

Jul 30, 2012 at 01:00 PM
SteveP
• •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Any Nikon to Canon converts over here?

Yeah, back when digital was just getting started. It all had to do with the Nikon viewfinder. It was so bad it spurred me to switch to Canon. Glad I did because I now like the Canon lens choices. Still miss my Nikon film cameras, though -- they were the "best."

Jul 30, 2012 at 01:06 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Any Nikon to Canon converts over here?

Tim Ashton wrote:
Answer? A bigger camera bag

I tried that approach, too... anybody want to buy some (big) used camera bags?

Jul 30, 2012 at 01:57 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Any Nikon to Canon converts over here?

As far I can remember I switched from Nikon to Cann in 1997 or 1998. From a used F 501 to an EOS 650 (used, too). Because of the bad AF. The Canons one was not working better, but the camera felt much better in my hands.

In 1999 I switched to EOS 5 because of EFC. THAT was working brilliant (with me). In 2002 I went digital (EOS D60). I did not stuck with Canon because of lenses. Never owned more than three at a time. But I never found a Nikon equivalent working for me compared to the actual EOS body I was using (D60, 350D, 30D, 40D, 50D, 5D MK II).

The only uncomfortable EOS I used was the 350D. After half a year I switched to 30D. I am fixed to the use of the back wheel. I did not get along without.

Ralph

Jul 30, 2012 at 02:19 PM
Steve Beck
• • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Any Nikon to Canon converts over here?

ntv369 wrote:
I switched to Canon, due to the yellow cast in NIKON. Even the D4 has it. Canon color reproduction is perfect. And one more reason , Canon's 300mm USM F/2.8 lens and 500mm f/4 lens and 135mm f/2 lens.

All my canon gear has a blue or red cast depending on the body. Most was red. Spent all my time in post. My experience is opposite with Nikon, I shoot and burn pics to cd, not much post in my life anymore.

Jul 31, 2012 at 07:14 PM
kewlcanon
• • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Any Nikon to Canon converts over here?

If you enjoy greenish color.. Nikon is da best .

Jul 31, 2012 at 07:37 PM
dehowie
• • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Any Nikon to Canon converts over here?

Switched in 03 with a 10D from an F100..
Then Canon where the king of digital and my opinion that hasn't changed in the 9 years since.

Jul 31, 2012 at 09:04 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Any Nikon to Canon converts over here?

Steve Beck wrote:
All my canon gear has a blue or red cast depending on the body. Most was red. Spent all my time in post. My experience is opposite with Nikon, I shoot and burn pics to cd, not much post in my life anymore.

My experience has been that the 5D Mark III files straight out of the camera have pretty much the same colour rendition as the recent Nikons.

Jul 31, 2012 at 09:34 PM
Tom Dix
• • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Any Nikon to Canon converts over here?

I began the switch from Nikon to Canon in the late 90s, while shooting film and made a full conversion to Canon after my first 5D, sold the f5 fm2s and the final 3 or 3 Nikon lenses in late 06. I believe that both are great systems and are capable of producing terrific images.

Strokes for folks.

Jul 31, 2012 at 10:25 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Any Nikon to Canon converts over here?

Steve Beck wrote:

I had a D700 for almost 2 years. IMHO, the Canon (1Ds Mark III, 5D Mark II that I had at the same time of the D700) rendition of colors was better. It just shows that it is more perceived rather than real. Of course, the monitor calibration plays a significant role in that matter, too.

Aug 01, 2012 at 07:20 AM
PhilDrinkwater
• • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Any Nikon to Canon converts over here?

Ralph Conway wrote:
I am fixed to the use of the back wheel. I did not get along without.

Ralph

I keep forgetting about that... it's a really really good tool and I would miss it too, especially when I see my Nikon friends going through photos.

Aug 01, 2012 at 09:14 AM
1       2      
       4       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.