Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5      
       end

Archive 2012 · Carry Speed Camera Strap Review/Feedback

huntingskeet

Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #1 · Carry Speed Camera Strap Review/Feedback

I'm considering going the sling strap route and am trying to decide between the Black Rapid and Carry Speed Pro or Sport models.

I was hoping that someone familiar with the new Carry Speed model could answer a question about the new mounting plate that comes with those models. I have a Vanguard tripod with quick mount plates, will that thread into one of the tripod holes in bottom of the Carry Speeds plate?

Mar 01, 2013 at 06:35 PM
vsg28
• • •
p.6 #2 · Carry Speed Camera Strap Review/Feedback

They should, as long as they have a standard 3/8" thread.

Mar 03, 2013 at 04:30 AM
surfg1mp

p.6 #3 · Carry Speed Camera Strap Review/Feedback

I have just bought the cs-pro strap and am pretty pleased with it. It seems to be of a decent quality and design. I mounted the plate which I believe is the c3 the opposite way round because it didn't seem to secure very well having it the suggested way with the ball head at the front. Mounting it backwards with the ball heads at the back makes the connection a lot more secure on my d700. The camera sits at a nicer angle pointing slightly down rather than backwards, but that's just personal I guess. The only thing I'm not that sure of is the method for securing a longer lens. So if you want to mount a 70-200 you have to swap the plate onto the lens foot, screw the d thingy into the camera tripod mount, then attach the provided clip. All well and good if you plan to only use that lens. I swap lenses a lot and will not be bothered to go to all that hassle. I have mounted the 70-200 to the camera and used the c3 mounting plate on the camera. It seems to handle the weight well. I'd like some insurance though.

Apr 08, 2013 at 08:53 PM
andyz
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #4 · Carry Speed Camera Strap Review/Feedback

What you're going to do is strain the connection between that heavier lens and the lighter camera and you could wind up damaging your camera. That's why you should have a mount attached to the lens. This is the same reason when you mount the camera onto a tripod you mount lens foot, not the camera body. Some folks may come back and say that never had a problem but others may say that it's not made to be that way. I'm in the latter.

Apr 08, 2013 at 09:16 PM
3iron
• •
p.6 #5 · Carry Speed Camera Strap Review/Feedback

What andyz says.

Apr 08, 2013 at 09:45 PM
Volks1470
• •
p.6 #6 · Carry Speed Camera Strap Review/Feedback

So after having this strap for what I think is about a year now, the ball head connector on the strap seems to be wearing down. Such as, the little cup that the ball goes into has actually worn down/pressed the metal. I don't think it's going to be failing any time soon, but it's something i'm going to keep an eye on as more time passes.

I believe they have updated the material used in the ball head connection. Reason for my assumption, I have the old model and my friend bought a strap a few months back and it's a completely different color than mine.

I'll see if I can get some pictures of what i'm talking about.

I'm also considering picking up the double strap they offer, but that one is still up in the air on whether I'll get it.

One year with the Carry Speed. I still love it and use it every time I go out.

Jun 06, 2013 at 04:10 AM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.6 #7 · Carry Speed Camera Strap Review/Feedback

Did you try the new plate they have, where you fold that ballhead/pin down.

Jun 06, 2013 at 04:56 AM
Volks1470
• •
p.6 #8 · Carry Speed Camera Strap Review/Feedback

Sunny Sra wrote:
Did you try the new plate they have, where you fold that ballhead/pin down.

Nope, I'm still using the old C3 plate. Still working great though!

My friend has the new C4 (non folding) and he likes it.

Edit: Here's some pictures of the mount and connector about a year later. Remember this is the old model. Carry Speed could have updated this already.

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM lens    125mm    f/9.0    30s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    EF24-70mm f/2.8L USM lens    42mm    f/13.0    25s    2500 ISO    +1.3 EV  

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    EF24-70mm f/2.8L USM lens    50mm    f/14.0    30s    640 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jun 06, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Volks1470
• •
p.6 #9 · Carry Speed Camera Strap Review/Feedback

andyz wrote:
What you're going to do is strain the connection between that heavier lens and the lighter camera and you could wind up damaging your camera. That's why you should have a mount attached to the lens. This is the same reason when you mount the camera onto a tripod you mount lens foot, not the camera body. Some folks may come back and say that never had a problem but others may say that it's not made to be that way. I'm in the latter.

X3 on this. I know it's not ideal, but if switching lenses is really that frequent, you can buy two plates and leave one on the lens foot.

I really like the way you can precisely mount the plate on the lens foot to ensure perfect balance. See photos below as an example.

Balance

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    EF24-70mm f/2.8L USM lens    70mm    f/4.0    1s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Closer Look

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    EF24-70mm f/2.8L USM lens    35mm    f/4.0    2s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jun 06, 2013 at 11:27 AM
fordsrule_31

p.6 #10 · Carry Speed Camera Strap Review/Feedback

Since I have owned the latest version of the Carry Speed strap (CSProII w/ C4 plate) for about 4 months now, I thought I would give my two cents to this thread. I have used the C3 plate before and have to say that I prefer the new C4 plate a TON more. It lacks the two risers (See Volks1470's pictures) that prevent it from being mounted flushly to the bottom of the camera in any orientation desired. Additionally, it has a rubbery grippy surface on it now that creates a more secure attachment to the camera/tripod mount (it wont twist on its own and it stays tight. In fact I have never had to re-tighten the screw on mine).

As far as the new ProII strap, it has the quick adjuster which lets you keep it tight and the camera held up high for when you are just walking around, and very quickly allows you to extend the strap out so you can get the camera up to your face. The only downside is that it drops on its own gradually with a heavier camera setup (Gripped 7D and 70-200 F/2.8) and if you lean forward your camera will come out in front of you potentially endangering it, or at least causing an inconvenience.

I have to admit that at first the size of the plate deterred me because I like to shoot in portrait orientation quite often but it does not really bother me, and I have tiny burger king hands.

Finally, having met Tim personally, and talking to him extensively at CP+ in Yokohama this year, he truly seems to value customer feedback, which is probably why the Carry Speed designs change a lot.

Jun 06, 2013 at 12:03 PM
andyz
• • •
p.6 #11 · Carry Speed Camera Strap Review/Feedback

I haven't noticed wear and tear yet and the best part of the new plate to me is that it folds and packs easier in a case on my backpack.

Jun 06, 2013 at 12:43 PM
Weasel_Loader
• • •
p.6 #12 · Carry Speed Camera Strap Review/Feedback

I had the Carry Speed Pro system (newest version) and used it a few times. Just didn't work for me. Having the big plate on the bottom of my camera was too much and didn't fit my RRS quick release. I found my BR system to suit my needs a little better.

Edited on Jun 07, 2013 at 05:59 PM · View previous versions

Jun 07, 2013 at 05:55 PM
pmiller228

p.6 #13 · Carry Speed Camera Strap Review/Feedback

I have the fs-pro. It's fairly comfortable for carrying but I hate the bracket placement for the ball connection.

Jun 07, 2013 at 05:57 PM
Volks1470
• •
p.6 #14 · Carry Speed Camera Strap Review/Feedback

Weasel_Loader wrote:
I had the Carry Speed Pro system (newest version) and used it a few times. Just didn't work for me. Having the big plate on the bottom of my camera was too much and didn't fit my RRS quick release. I found my BR system to suit my needs a little better.

did you have the F-1 plate?

http://www.carryspeed.com/products/f-1-foldable-mounting-plate

pmiller228 wrote:
I have the fs-pro. It's fairly comfortable for carrying but I hate the bracket placement for the ball connection.

Can you please elaborate?

Jun 08, 2013 at 11:36 PM
Weasel_Loader
• • •
p.6 #15 · Carry Speed Camera Strap Review/Feedback

Yes, I had the F-1 plate. Doesn't fit on RRS quick release plates.

Jun 08, 2013 at 11:45 PM
pmiller228

p.6 #16 · Carry Speed Camera Strap Review/Feedback

Volks1470 wrote:
did you have the F-1 plate?

http://www.carryspeed.com/products/f-1-foldable-mounting-plate

Can you please elaborate?

The ball jabs me in the wrist when I'm using heavy glass. This could just be the way I am used to resting the camera while im shooting (especially when im using a wrist strap) and might not affect most people. If the ball was on the centerline of the plate it would be much more comfortable for me, but then it wouldn't mount to a tripod.

Jun 09, 2013 at 01:01 PM
       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password