New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

3              5       6       end

Archive 2012 · Carry Speed Camera Strap Review/Feedback

jman83

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Carry Speed Camera Strap Review/Feedback

I contacted Carryspeed about their new foldable mounting plate and they said they have it at the warehouse and will be released for sale to the public shortly.

Aug 14, 2012 at 12:40 PM
vsg28
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Carry Speed Camera Strap Review/Feedback

Do they have any more information about this plate? I wanted to know if it is worth waiting for this or not.

is all I can find.

Aug 14, 2012 at 12:55 PM
andyz
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Carry Speed Camera Strap Review/Feedback

That would be the next gen I believe where the stud/ballhead folds out of the way. What is sold today (or mine from a month ago anyway) is not like that. Mine is this one, http://www.carryspeed.com/products/c-2-mounting-plate-with-ball-head-locknut

Aug 14, 2012 at 01:35 PM
vsg28
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Carry Speed Camera Strap Review/Feedback

Ya, I guess I will wait for a while to see if the new mounting plate ever comes out. Thanks for all the help!

Aug 14, 2012 at 03:09 PM
jman83

p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Carry Speed Camera Strap Review/Feedback

FYI... website is updated with information about the new foldable mounting plate.

Aug 14, 2012 at 05:15 PM
andyz
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Carry Speed Camera Strap Review/Feedback

Storing the plate in my camera or lens bag is the only reason I would care that it folds. That said, I just ordered one to try.

Aug 14, 2012 at 05:33 PM
vsg28
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Carry Speed Camera Strap Review/Feedback

Oh good god I had no idea till now that the company was <10 miles from me. I called up the customer service number and the person said they would update their website to include the new sling system with the foldable mounting plate by tomorrow morning.

He also ok'ed me coming over to take a look at the new system and I can also buy directly from them right away if I want to. I may very well end up going tomorrow or Thursday to take a look at this. Let me know if you guys want me to ask/test anything specific.

Aug 14, 2012 at 05:43 PM
jman83

p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Carry Speed Camera Strap Review/Feedback

The other reason I see where the folding plate will be blessing is when you have to place your camera flat on a surface for say... swapping out lenses or whatever else the reason maybe.

Aug 14, 2012 at 06:04 PM
vsg28
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Carry Speed Camera Strap Review/Feedback

Ya, that's the only reason: To keep your body flat if need be.

Edited on Aug 14, 2012 at 10:07 PM · View previous versions

Aug 14, 2012 at 07:58 PM
andyz
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Carry Speed Camera Strap Review/Feedback

I want to know that the hinge system is very secure since the camera and lens weight will be attached through that and the ball head to the strap. How strong is it and how is that hinge secured? Screws can back out. Washers and bolts? It looks good. Love the strap even more since I got the extension for it. Tell them it's a good product at a fair price.

Aug 14, 2012 at 09:19 PM
Volks1470
• •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Carry Speed Camera Strap Review/Feedback

I just got my Pixel BG-E11 Battery grip in today. Once again, the carry speed impresses. Of course, i will be providing pictures and more information later (on lunch right now).

Stay tuned

Aug 14, 2012 at 09:51 PM
Volks1470
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Carry Speed Camera Strap Review/Feedback

Alright so i got some pictures with the CS-3 Mount on a battery grip. I haven't used it in the field yet, so i can't give a final verdict yet. So here are the first impressions on a BG-E11 grip, other grips may vary.

CRW_0123.jpg by Volks1470, on Flickr

Before the grip the camera was able to sit fine at a weird angle. With the grip it becomes too unstable to sit on the bottom. I'm not surprised they are releasing a new mount with a swivel ball head because it does become a problem setting the camera down stably. With a long lens it sits fine though.

CRW_0126.jpg by Volks1470, on Flickr

I tried to get a good shot for you guys to get an idea of how you use the vertical grip with the C-3 mount. The tripod mount pictured previously is not on in the above picture. In my opinion the mount made the grip work better. This grip is terribly uncomfortable to hold, in comparison to my old Meike T2i/550D grip. The C-3 mount provides a stable holding place for the middle finger. The hard(ish) edges of the mount are the most comfortable, but it's still better than the original grip feel. Now this is just my preference, yours may vary greatly.

Another note, with the black rapid strap you would not be able to use the vertical grip because the hook sticks right out in the middle of the grip. So I believe this is the only grip enabling the use of the vertical grip.

I've heard complaints of the C-3 mount not being solid or it doesn't stay in place. In my use, i have NEVER seen this thing budge. It's very solid and does NOT move if mounted properly.

CRW_0133.jpg by Volks1470, on Flickr

This isn't so much for the Carry Speed part of the review but those worried about a plastic grip threads ripping out or breaking. This it what is inside of the Pixel BG-E11. The bottom threads are mounted onto a metal plate running along the entire bottom side of the grip. Probably not as safe as the Canon grip, but i'm not going to worry too much.

Of course, these are just first impressions. I'll will report back later with more experience using the grip and mount. I'm glad to provide feedback I hope these posts have helped those looking for a good camera strap!

Aug 15, 2012 at 04:33 AM
Volks1470
• •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Carry Speed Camera Strap Review/Feedback

For those wanting the new mount

http://www.carryspeed.com/products/f-1-foldable-mounting-plate

Aug 15, 2012 at 06:09 AM
vsg28
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Carry Speed Camera Strap Review/Feedback

I went ahead and visited the Carry Speed office in Houston, it was a small office with no signs or labels. When I went in, the entire staff was a massive FOUR: Tim, the designer; 2 secretaries and 1 shipping/loading person. All the actual manufacturing happens in China and Tim was insistent on me not giving out a lot of publicity to their US operation.

I did not realize the new sling system had also improvements in the strap itself, I did not take pictures of it but it essentially looks the same as the one on the CS-Pro; just more neoprene. I actually like the new one as it also has more elasticity and grips onto your shoulder better. The comfort is about the same though.

But the main thing I wanted to take here is the new mount: The F1-folding mounting plate. Below are 3 pictures comparing the old plate and the new one:

New mount (right) vs Old mount (left)

New mount with the ball head connection folded

No more coin only in the new mount- also uses the supplied Allen wrench

Aug 16, 2012 at 04:10 PM
andyz
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Carry Speed Camera Strap Review/Feedback

Thanks for the follow up. Does the new ball head arrangement look pretty solid?

Aug 16, 2012 at 04:18 PM
vsg28
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Carry Speed Camera Strap Review/Feedback

Ok I do not know how to insert text between uploads as done above by Volks so excuse me while I need to make a new post. Below are 3 more pictures focusing on the mounting plate itself: I absolutely love that Tim has incorporated a universal Arca-Swiss type quick release system into the plate and I can now directly mount the plate onto my tripod head. If you do not have a A-S type system, the plate has 6 drilled screw holes for your quick release plate.

Another improvement is the addition of the rubber grips on the new mount ensuring a tight fit with your camera body/grip. I was pretty glad Tim threw in the older mounting plate for free so that I could do these comparisons.

They have the new sling system up online now: http://www.carryspeed.com/products/fs-pro-camera-sling-strap-with-f-1-foldable-mounting-plate

Tim was going to call it the CS-Pro mark II but I guess I managed to convince to call it the FS-Pro instead. The earlier CS-Pro models suffered from the bad reviews of the original mounting plates and I felt a new name would help him a lot more. I am glad I was able to help

On a side note, apparently B&H and Adorama pressurized him to manufacture the original CS-Pro slings even when he was not happy with the mounting plate design. That led to some bad reviews for him. Also, he is planning to release a new "Sports" sling with the underarm strap similar to the BRAD tether from Black Rapid in case anyone is interested.

All in all, I was glad to have gone over and talk to the guy, it was a good $70 spent. I tried the system with my gripped 60D and 70-200 IS II attached and it felt very secure. I give this a big thumbs up

New plate with the A-S type quick release built in

Rubber grip on the new mount

Rubber grip on the new mount

Aug 16, 2012 at 04:20 PM
vsg28
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Carry Speed Camera Strap Review/Feedback

andyz wrote:
Thanks for the follow up. Does the new ball head arrangement look pretty solid?

Yeah, I was afraid the foldable system might mean the camera would turn on the ball head axis by 90 degrees as well but no such thing- they have a safety stop preventing this highly unlikely thing from happening.

Tim also showed me reports of a stress-strain test done in USA on the ball head system: They went all the way to 300 lbs pressure on the ball head without any issues before calling it quits.

Aug 16, 2012 at 04:22 PM
3iron
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Carry Speed Camera Strap Review/Feedback

Folks: I've been following this thread for a bit now and am wondering if this system wold be adequate for a full size camera such as the Canon 1D series with a 5 lb lens on it such as a 300 2.8 or even heavier 400 2.8. This outfit would weigh 8 to 12 lbs. That little metal stud does not look like it would take the load.
Do you have any comments relative to this?
Thanks and best wishes.

Aug 16, 2012 at 04:32 PM
vsg28
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Carry Speed Camera Strap Review/Feedback

The entire system comes with a few free attachments that will help you out here: http://www.carryspeed.com/products/uni-strap-hand-strap

You mount the plate onto your lens, and the unistrap (which is essentially a Black Rapid style connector) to your camera body. The sling connects to the mounting plate via the ball head connector and to the unistrap connector via a buckle strap giving you 2 points of connection to your camera outfit and hence the load is divided amongst them. I personally would not worry about this, but maybe you can try this out at a local store if available soon?

Aug 16, 2012 at 04:38 PM
andyz
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Carry Speed Camera Strap Review/Feedback

I have tested it with a 1D Mk III and a 70-200. No issues and it feels more secure than with my old Black Rapid. I attach the strap to the lens foot and I'll add the safety strap from CS to the camera and the hook on the strap.

I would not try it on my 300 2.8 because a) I keep that on my monopod and b) that is a big lens - I don't want it dangling at my hip from any connector.

Aug 16, 2012 at 05:10 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.