Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · What size do you compress your photo to for your client?

amonline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · What size do you compress your photo to for your client?

lol They'll upload the high resolution. lol

Jul 24, 2012 at 05:20 AM
derbarrett
• •
p.2 #2 · What size do you compress your photo to for your client?

We have recently changed our business model because we are trying to get away from shoot and burn model. Digital negatives are no longer included in the bottom package but are included in the top 2 packages. That being said we want to encourage clients to print small pictures themselves (4x6, 5x7, ectů) but we want them to come to us for anything larger than a 8x10. What file size will print fairly well up to an 8x10 and start degrade thereafter. Does 1800 pixels on the long side @ 100-150 DPI sound about right?

Feb 27, 2013 at 07:58 PM
lilyphoto
• • •
p.2 #3 · What size do you compress your photo to for your client?

I don't reduce the size at all.

Feb 27, 2013 at 08:13 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · What size do you compress your photo to for your client?

derbarrett wrote:
We have recently changed our business model because we are trying to get away from shoot and burn model. Digital negatives are no longer included in the bottom package but are included in the top 2 packages. That being said we want to encourage clients to print small pictures themselves (4x6, 5x7, ectů) but we want them to come to us for anything larger than a 8x10. What file size will print fairly well up to an 8x10 and start degrade thereafter. Does 1800 pixels on the long side @ 100-150 DPI sound about right?

If your intent is that they be able to print 4x5 proofs ONLY, with decent results, then I'd export around 144-216ppi at that size. They need to know that "proof" quality are all they should expect. You could go as low as 144ppi, but most labs might not accept the image, and they'll just end up coming back for a new disk because they can't upsize it themselves. If I were doing this, I'd export around 216ppi at 4x5. 300ppi at 4x5 would likely allow them to print 8x10's with very little loss. (to them, at least) I'd stay in the 200ppi range with a stern warning that these are optimized for "proof only" at 4x5.

Feb 27, 2013 at 09:58 PM
Prettym1k3
• • •
p.2 #5 · What size do you compress your photo to for your client?

If they buy the images, they get full resolution at 300dpi.

If they buy the images, then they also get resized for Facebook images, which we resize to 1000px on the long edge.

Feb 28, 2013 at 10:13 PM
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password