Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2012 · Beginner CONFUSION

Richard Nye
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · Beginner CONFUSION

I would recommend the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 non-VC. It's a very nice lens, well built with good IQ, nice price, but it doesn't have image stabilization. You don't need image stabilization as much in the shorter focal lengths.

Jul 22, 2012 at 05:52 AM
n0b0
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · Beginner CONFUSION

Richard Nye wrote:
I would recommend the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 non-VC. It's a very nice lens, well built with good IQ, nice price, but it doesn't have image stabilization. You don't need image stabilization as much in the shorter focal lengths.

I would strongly suggest this lens as well. The image quality is more than just good, it's great.

Image Stabilisation is great to have but shooting without it is more beneficial for learning and prevent an over reliance for it.

Jul 22, 2012 at 07:37 AM
15Bit
• • • •
p.2 #3 · Beginner CONFUSION

Its worth pointing out that lenses, especially well regarded ones, hold their value quite well. It is enitrely possible to buy a second hand lens, keep it a couple of years and sell it for pretty much the same as you paid for it. Ownership of better lenses is thus not "expensive", it just ties up capital.

I confess i was not aware that "tog" was so etymologically interesting. As it is obviously a potentially offensive difference we have in definition, I propose that we merge our definitions to give:

Tog: (noun) - a person who takes photographs in houses of ill repute

Jul 22, 2012 at 09:20 AM
eilerjc
• •
p.2 #4 · Beginner CONFUSION

15Bit wrote:
ITog: (noun) - a person who takes photographs in houses of ill repute

TOG = The Obstetrician & Gynaecologist (research publication)

may have photos of similar content ;-)

Jul 22, 2012 at 01:37 PM
rongoe
• •
p.2 #5 · Beginner CONFUSION

+1

Jul 22, 2012 at 02:20 PM
Deborah Kolt
• •
p.2 #6 · Beginner CONFUSION

You might get more precise answers if you indicate what you prefer to shoot. Fast glass is a must for low-light or action, but not for some other subjects. Basically, without more specifics, you are going to get suggestions based more on the recommending photographers' subject preferences than your own. Which means, as someone said above, that every one will be different. Giving an idea of your budget would also help narrow the field.

Without knowing what you are shooting, my advice would just be to buy the best glass you can afford. Top quality glass holds its value.

Jul 22, 2012 at 02:46 PM
n0b0
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · Beginner CONFUSION

Deborah Kolt wrote:
You might get more precise answers if you indicate what you prefer to shoot. Fast glass is a must for low-light or action, but not for some other subjects. Basically, without more specifics, you are going to get suggestions based more on the recommending photographers' subject preferences than your own. Which means, as someone said above, that every one will be different. Giving an idea of your budget would also help narrow the field.

Without knowing what you are shooting, my advice would just be to buy the best glass you can afford. Top quality glass holds its value.
...Show more

Normally I would agree and ask the OP what he wants to shoot, but in this case, he's quite specific on what he wants, a standard zoom lens.

A standard zoom with constant f/2.8 aperture is the way to go. There are plenty of choices out there depending on the budget, but for "beginner's money" as the OP put it, the non VC Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 is the best bang for buck lens you can get.

You don't get any kind of image stabilisation but the constant f/2.8 and the great image quality more than makes up for it.

Jul 22, 2012 at 04:02 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · Beginner CONFUSION

Turns out that I just wrote a short article at my blog about lens choices for beginners getting a first DSLR: http://www.gdanmitchell.com/2012/07/20/new-dlsr-you-do-not-need-a-50mm-prime

General recommendations:

1. Do not get a 50mm prime at first. (Oops. You already did that. Oh, well. ;-)

2. Do get the fine EFS 18-55mm IS (image-stabilized) kit lens. It covers the core focal length range, it produces fine image quality, the IS feature is like to be useful. (It also covers the 50mm focal length range. Oh, wait, already mentioned that...) Shoot a lot with this lens before buying more lenses. You will learn a lot about how your camera operates, about the functionality of various lens attributes (focal length, aperture, IS, etc.), and about your own developing photographic interests and preferences. Learning all of these things before investing in a lot of gear is critical!

3. Hold off on buying any other lenses for now. Lens selection is largely a function of your photographic preferences and what you are trying to accomplish. You cannot actually know what lenses you will want until you do a bit of photography and begin to figure this out. I have not read the rest of this thread yet, but if it is typical you will get a wide range of specific recommendations - buy this or that prime, get (or don't get) L lenses, get a wide zoom, get a telephoto, get large aperture lenses, don't' get large aperture lenses, and more. All of these may be true - for the photographers who suggested them. But they are not necessarily true for you. Any of their recommendations (or mine) could turn out to match up with your needs. Or not. There is no way to know until you get some shooting under your belt.

The EFS 18-55mm IS kit lens is a perfect starting point for a person in your position. It is inexpensive, covers a useful focal length range, has a somewhat enhanced low-light capability via IS, and produces quite decent image quality. But even more, it is a useful and low-cost way to acquire enough experience to begin to recognize your needs and preferences, which will allow you to begin to make much more intelligent decisions about future purchases.

Take care,

Dan

WannaTakePix wrote:
Hi Togs,

Confused N00b here...

I've just acquired a Canon 40D.
I have also just bought a 50mm 1.8 Prime that was too good to refuse - 57.60 delivered.

I'm probably going to go for the Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II Lens

But, am confused with regards to which short Zoom I should go for, for Beginners money.

The Canon EF-S Zoom Lens 18 mm - 55 mm - f/3.5-5.6 IS MK II
or
The Sigma 18-50mm f2.8-4.5 DC OS HSM

Confused?
Because I've been told/read that the Canon is a good lens even for a kit.
That the Sigma is better build quality, comes with a Hood
...Show more

Edited on Jul 22, 2012 at 04:28 PM · View previous versions

Jul 22, 2012 at 04:26 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.2 #9 · Beginner CONFUSION

Since you have your fast 50 f1.8 I'd get the 18-55 and 55-250 combo; don't worry about faster f2.8 lenses just yet, your 50mm is fine to start with. The 18-55 and 55-250 combo is one of the most cost effective kits that gives you wide angle and telephoto focal lengths. Pickup an inexpensive tripod and/or a monopod, they come in handy and a tripod is mandatory when shooting long exposures.

Take your time experimenting with the myriad of features your 40D provides. Shoot at all focal lengths, apertures, shutter speeds, etc. while exploring all the 40D's auto modes and LiveView. Understand your gear as best and as throughly as possible...again take your time to do this.

After you're comfortable with the 40D's controls and features, add a Kenko 1.4x teleconverter (the one that lets you use EF-S lenses) this will give you more reach; about 350mm on the telephoto end. Kenko also makes a nice extension tube set, use these with your 50mm or zooms for close-up/macro shots.

Enjoy shooting, explore the world around you, even a blade or more of grass, from water parched to dew dropped are worthy of images. Garden plants, flowers, bugs; crawling n flying are fun to shoot. There's a lot to see, interpret, find anew in our wonderful world!

I'd recommend a book or two to help you get started...

Understanding Exposure, 3rd Edition: How to Shoot Great Photographs with Any Camera
By Brian Peterson
http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Exposure-3rd-Edition-Photographs/dp/0817439390/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1342972753&sr=8-1&keywords=understanding+exposure

The Photographer's Eye: Composition and Design for Better Digital Photos
By Michael Freeman
http://www.amazon.com/The-Photographers-Eye-Composition-Digital/dp/0240809343/ref=pd_sim_b_5

After you are completely hooked on creating images, then upgrade your gear, glass first. I bought my 1st DSLR in late 07, a 40D and still shoot with it toady; only recently picking up a used 50D from here on FM. My 1st set of lenses were a 50 f1.4, 28-90 and 75-300 (these last two are quite entry level; cheep under $200 zooms, but were fun to learn with) the image below was taken handheld with my 40D and the 75-300.

My best to you, enjoy your new hobby, it can be a rewarding journey, mine is 40+ years in the making so far

Jerry

Canon EOS 40D    1.0 mm lens    290mm    f/7.1    1/1000s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jul 22, 2012 at 04:27 PM
WannaTakePix

p.2 #10 · Beginner CONFUSION

Thanks for your reply & nice image.

Could I get similar images with the 55-250 IS II ?
I'm 90% decided on that from the positive things I hear about it.

The main problem at the moment, decision wise is the short zoom:
Canon 18-55mm IS II (91) or Sigma 17-50mm for reasonable (~150)
or
Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 XR Di II VC for ~350 or Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 DC OS Macro HSM for ~320
Which also begs the question what long zoom if I go for the 17-70mm Sigma

STILL CONFUSED

& oh yeah...

What tripod should I be buying if any at the moment?

Jul 22, 2012 at 04:43 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · Beginner CONFUSION

Slow down, big fella'!

The kit lens is a great place to start. You don't have to buy a bunch of gear at first. That can come later. Wait to see if you need the 55-250mm lens... or no longer lens... or a different one.

Photography equipment is compelling and exciting. Equipment forums and marketing make it even more attractive and can even create the impression that photography is about the equipment.

Ain't so.

Go a bit slower. Focus on your shooting. Think about what works and doesn't work as you do your photography. The equipment questions will begin to answer themselves, but you need to be a bit patient.

Take care,

Dan

WannaTakePix wrote:
Thanks for your reply & nice image.

Could I get similar images with the 55-250 IS II ?
I'm 90% decided on that from the positive things I hear about it.

The main problem at the moment, decision wise is the short zoom:
Canon 18-55mm IS II (91) or Sigma 17-50mm for reasonable (~150)
or
Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 XR Di II VC for ~350 or Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 DC OS Macro HSM for ~320
Which also begs the question what long zoom if I go for the 17-70mm Sigma

STILL CONFUSED

& oh yeah...

What tripod should I be buying if any at the moment?

Jul 22, 2012 at 04:58 PM
AmbientMike
• • •
p.2 #12 · Beginner CONFUSION

I love my 55-250. IS is nice if the Sigma doesn't have it get the Canon. None of what you suggested sounds bad to me. 2.8 is great for low light but won't make a lot of difference at f/8. You have better stuff than I did starting out. 18-55 and 5 5-250 can do a lot and with IS can do ok in low light on stationary objects.

Jul 22, 2012 at 05:06 PM
WannaTakePix

p.2 #13 · Beginner CONFUSION

Thanks Dan,

I was going to purchase the 18-55mm Canon Kit, but the rotating end element was putting me off, which would make using a polarising filter awkward.
&
You don't even get a hood with it.

WTP

Edited on Jul 22, 2012 at 05:34 PM · View previous versions

Jul 22, 2012 at 05:20 PM
WannaTakePix

p.2 #14 · Beginner CONFUSION

--REMOVED - duplicate--

Edited on Jul 22, 2012 at 05:31 PM · View previous versions

WannaTakePix

p.2 #15 · Beginner CONFUSION

--REMOVED - duplicate--

Edited on Jul 22, 2012 at 05:26 PM · View previous versions

AmbientMike
• • •
p.2 #16 · Beginner CONFUSION

You will need less tripod if you use mlu. I like 3-4 kg tripods however it's amazingthe crap I've gotten by with. Slik U-212 if I have the number right looks potentially good. I have Bogen 3021pro legs and 3055 head which are quality but annoy me. But they switched everything up recently look over the manfrotto ones. I like at least 60"+ tall with minmal center post raising as they can be flimsy ( the center post.) Cable release won't hurt. I believe that is the slik that has similar specifications to the one I used to use. I like a tripod that goes to eye level. But with care a cheap one can work.

What are you thinking you'll shoot? Might make a big difference in recommendations. However 18-55 and 55-250 cover a lot of ground with excellent iq.

Rotating front element not that big of a deal imo. Just readjust polarizer.

Edited on Jul 22, 2012 at 05:29 PM · View previous versions

Jul 22, 2012 at 05:25 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.2 #17 · Beginner CONFUSION

The 55-250 is a slightly better lens than my 75-300, plus it has IS. So yes it will let you create similar images, good technique, a seasoned eye helps also. Shoot a lot, every day, learn, explore and have fun doing so, but don't put a lot of money into this until your budget allows you to.

Just a thought, I read Dan's above post and tend to agree with his thoughts on buying just the 18-55 at first, if you shoot sports, at zoos, kids sports, etc. then the extra reach of the 55-250 will help.

As for a tripod, it's not necessary, for most shots the IS will help a lot, be just fine. Shoot handheld at first, use buildings, handrails, trees, benches, etc to help steady your shooting. I've as of late been using a monopod that has three extendable legs...it's not as steady as a tripod but helps.

I picked up this kit on sale, I wanted a small tabletop support for still-life shooting, the kit is usually under $200, but you can get cheaper support systems, a cheap tripod might be best, Bogen/Manfrotto has several...

Trek-Tech TrekPod Go! ProTripod Essentials 5 Piece Kit
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003GWDAAQ/ref=wms_ohs_product

Trek-Teck
http://www.trek-tech.com/

Good luck, my best advise is just keep shooting...everything...with what you can afford...and have fun

Jerry

Jul 22, 2012 at 05:26 PM
WannaTakePix

p.2 #18 · Beginner CONFUSION

AmbientMike wrote:
You will need less tripod if you use mlu.

mlu ?

Jul 22, 2012 at 05:33 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.2 #19 · Beginner CONFUSION

MLU = Mirror Lock Up
MLU is a function and can be set using the 40D's menus.

This reduces vibration since the mirror doesn't move during exposure, this can help produce sharper, less blurry images due to camera shake; turn IS off if you try this; IS lenses have a switch to do this...leaving IS on when using a tripod can blur an image. Just shoot handheld don't worry about MLU for now.

As Dan said, slow down...be patient...take your time to learn your gear before buying lots of stuff or trying advanced techniques, there is SO much to learn before you use MLU...much, much more!

Jerry

Jul 22, 2012 at 05:43 PM
Ramkat

p.2 #20 · Beginner CONFUSION

One piece of advice I wished somebody had given me - bodies come and go - lenses are forever, buy the fastest and best you can afford - I eventually got to Canon originals via Sigma and Tamron

Jul 22, 2012 at 06:36 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password