Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              18      
       end

Archive 2012 · EOS-M - Canon mirroless system

sebboh
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.19 #1 · EOS-M - Canon mirroless system

Imagemaster wrote:
And the choice of using all these lenses, some of which people already own and are using with the EOS-M:

except that all those lenses will all pretty much work better on the NEX since it has a tilt lcd and evf both of which help a great deal in handling large lenses.

Jul 29, 2012 at 08:11 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.19 #2 · EOS-M - Canon mirroless system

Imagemaster wrote:
And the choice of using all these lenses, some of which people already own and are using with the EOS-M:

That isn't specific to this camera, just to the adapter and the system.

I guess it raises an interesting question though. I doubt that the system will go anywhere on its own as it stands (which can change, of course, if Canon releases a more interesting body and more interesting lenses), but can it survive simply by providing a crop body alternative way of using EF/EF-S lenses? In other words, will it become the second (or third...) camera for EF/EF-S lens owners often enough to be a success on those terms?

My feeling is no, a system needs first to stand on its own, but maybe I am wrong.

Jul 29, 2012 at 08:31 PM
aleksanderpolo
• • •
p.19 #3 · EOS-M - Canon mirroless system

Depends on how fast those PDAF lens focus on the EF-M, right?

Jul 29, 2012 at 08:37 PM
wfrank
• • • •
p.19 #4 · EOS-M - Canon mirroless system

sebboh wrote:
except that all those lenses will all pretty much work better on the NEX since it has a tilt lcd and evf both of which help a great deal in handling large lenses.

Not a big fan of the (first) EOS-M, but isnt the idea that you get both AF and IS (when present)? If so I'd say it dwarfs the NEX benefits. Even the sensor which is kind of what I dislike most with Canon at the moment (comparing to best in class, ie Sony)

Jul 29, 2012 at 08:44 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.19 #5 · EOS-M - Canon mirroless system

wfrank wrote:
Not a big fan of the (first) EOS-M, but isnt the idea that you get both AF and IS (when present)? If so I'd say it dwarfs the NEX benefits. Even the sensor which is kind of what I dislike most with Canon at the moment (comparing to best in class, ie Sony)

the NEX - eos adapter gives you IS and auto aperture control, and it seems like AF focus on the eos-m with those lenses is going suck as much as it does for 4/3 lenses on 43/ and alpha lenses on NEX with the mirrorless adapter. if canon can make autofocus with those lenses useful then it'll mean something, but so far it doesn't seem like they even got AF on their eos-m lens to be fast...

Jul 29, 2012 at 09:51 PM
wfrank
• • • •
p.19 #6 · EOS-M - Canon mirroless system

sebboh wrote:
the NEX - eos adapter gives you IS and auto aperture control, and it seems like AF focus on the eos-m with those lenses is going suck as much as it does for 4/3 lenses on 43/ and alpha lenses on NEX with the mirrorless adapter. if canon can make autofocus with those lenses useful then it'll mean something, but so far it doesn't seem like they even got AF on their eos-m lens to be fast...

Maybe youre right I dont know. It's a bit premature but I would expect native as opposed to reverse engineered AF to work better (as with IS for that matter). But who knows, maybe the Canon EOS-M engineers are isolated from the rest of the company, could be, why not. They designed a soap, maybe a good looking one, but with so many faults.

Here's the preacher Pelle in the band Hives at Jools Holland with the song "Hate to say I told you so"
http://youtu.be/Ux0Ay9eNILQ?hd=1 (fullscreen and a lot of noise please)

Jul 29, 2012 at 10:40 PM
jctriguy
• • •
p.19 #7 · EOS-M - Canon mirroless system

carstenw wrote:
That isn't specific to this camera, just to the adapter and the system.

I guess it raises an interesting question though. I doubt that the system will go anywhere on its own as it stands (which can change, of course, if Canon releases a more interesting body and more interesting lenses), but can it survive simply by providing a crop body alternative way of using EF/EF-S lenses? In other words, will it become the second (or third...) camera for EF/EF-S lens owners often enough to be a success on those terms?

My feeling is no, a system needs first to stand on
...Show more

I'm sure they will release some more lenses and bodies to add to the system. They obviously wouldn't work on a new mount if they were going to stop at 2 lenses and one body.

Jul 29, 2012 at 11:41 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.19 #8 · EOS-M - Canon mirroless system

jctriguy wrote:
I'm sure they will release some more lenses and bodies to add to the system. They obviously wouldn't work on a new mount if they were going to stop at 2 lenses and one body.

Of course they will, but in the meantime, we get all these whiners complaining that they did not bring everything onto the market at the start.

Jul 30, 2012 at 01:47 AM
mawz
• • • • •
p.19 #9 · EOS-M - Canon mirroless system

wfrank wrote:
Maybe youre right I dont know. It's a bit premature but I would expect native as opposed to reverse engineered AF to work better (as with IS for that matter). But who knows, maybe the Canon EOS-M engineers are isolated from the rest of the company, could be, why not. They designed a soap, maybe a good looking one, but with so many faults.

Here's the preacher Pelle in the band Hives at Jools Holland with the song "Hate to say I told you so"
http://youtu.be/Ux0Ay9eNILQ?hd=1 (fullscreen and a lot of noise please)

The EOS-NEX adapters don't offer AF, only IS and Aperture control (and IS effectiveness depends on the lens, not the body) but remember that the EOS-M has Hybrid-AF, which only works well with STM lenses (all 4 of them, 1 EF, 1 EF-S and 2 EF-M lenses) on both the EOS-M and the Rebel T4i (which shares the EOS-M's AF system for LV and Video modes). Don't expect good AF performance from the non-STM lenses, it'll probably be as slow as non-Imager AF 4/3rds lenses are on the Oly m43 bodies (and remember, Olympus has been working on this a LOT longer than Canon and still hasn't found a solution to getting fast AF with a CDAF system, which is fundamentally what the EOS-M has, the on-chip PDAF Canon went with is an assist, not a primary focusing system like Nikon's 1 series)

Jul 30, 2012 at 02:26 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.19 #10 · EOS-M - Canon mirroless system

<beep>

Edited on Jul 31, 2012 at 10:15 PM · View previous versions

Jul 30, 2012 at 04:36 AM
Lotusm50
• • • • •
p.19 #11 · EOS-M - Canon mirroless system

Kinko begins to ship MILC lenses to Canon

"Kinko Optical, a Taiwan-based maker of optical lens pieces, began shipments of glass lenses for use in MILCs (mirrorless interchangeable-lens cameras) to Canon in July, according to industry sources in Taiwan."

see: http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20120731PD201.html?mod=2

Jul 31, 2012 at 10:04 PM
Lotusm50
• • • • •
p.19 #12 · EOS-M - Canon mirroless system

carstenw wrote:
<beep>

<beep<beep>

I guess it all depends on how strong and reliable you believe that implied promise to be.

Jul 31, 2012 at 11:03 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.19 #13 · EOS-M - Canon mirroless system

Yeah, in hindsight I was too harsh there. Ah well.

Aug 01, 2012 at 07:58 AM
       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password