Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Album Selection

ricardovaste
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Album Selection

I feel like I need to improve this process, so I was wondering if anyone could offer guidance. I always have a digital review of the album, and 1 or 2 rounds of changes, so when they come to ordering they're happy. But the initial selection process seems to be slower, or more difficult.

At the moment I either suggest the structure (based on the story telling) from an album I make (when I know they're very keen on a good album) or through the blog post. With this suggestion, I let them decide what they'd like in. Perhaps this is where I give too much control, and slows down the process.

I'm pondering a difference process. Perhaps let them pick the images that they definitely want (usually just close family images) and perhaps the images they definitely don't want, and then leave the rest to me for filling in the selection.

Thoughts welcome...

Jul 18, 2012 at 12:19 PM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Album Selection

My opinion, full predesign is most efficient. Don't give the clients any input on selection until you are finished with the album. From there, they have the option of making changes if they like.

Some of my clients accept the album as-is, 100%
Most of my clients have a few small changes
Some of my clients make a lot of changes

Either way, I'm finished with albums a lot quicker when I just do it all myself up front without any input from them. Clients can be VERY slow about making any sort of decisions after a wedding.

Jul 18, 2012 at 12:31 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Album Selection

Thanks Jamie. I used to think that approach was a bit controlling, but can completely see how it may well be the best way to go. I'll wait to see what others say, but I think a full pre-design with two rounds of changes might be best...

Jul 18, 2012 at 12:40 PM
ai3x
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Album Selection

I go with the full predesign method. Everything get's predesigned and I send them a PDF proof asking if they want to make any changes and reminding them that they'll get prints as well so they don't have to fit EVERYTHING in the album.

If they want to make changes we arrange a gotomeeting and share computer screens. It usually takes a couple of hours but we go through each page making any changes they'd like. At the end we go through the entire thing again together and they sign off on it. After that it's straight to the printers.

Jul 18, 2012 at 12:41 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Album Selection

Thanks Alex. The shared computer screens is a definite no at the moment, bad internet here. I'll keep that in mind though, I imagine it works pretty well.

Jul 18, 2012 at 12:57 PM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Album Selection

We allow up to 20 photos for them to select to go into their album. They have a deadline to meet to do that. If they don't make the deadline we design everything without further input; though we have not had to ever do this.

With the client selecting up 20 photos they feel like they have input in what goes into their album. We feel that this is fare too. Even though they can select up to 20 they know that not necessarily all 20 will end up in the album because not every image they select will fit the flow of the story.

Once we layout the design (which includes their selection of ~20 images) we allow them to change only a couple of images within the layout.

This process has worked VERY well for us and speeds things along. Of course all of this is set on deadlines; we set deadlines for ourselves and let the client know what that deadline is (in the contract). We also set deadlines for our clients to respond or we move along without their input.

Take control but give a little to make them happy to move forward with you. I've known about the predesign process for years but I'm afraid of the one client who may not like it and make tons of changes. This is in essence a predesign with their input.

Jul 18, 2012 at 01:19 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ai3x
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Album Selection

ricardovaste wrote:
Thanks Alex. The shared computer screens is a definite no at the moment, bad internet here. I'll keep that in mind though, I imagine it works pretty well.

Yeah it's especially good if you get the feeling the changes could become long and protracted. Since it's only a single session it can never really last more than a couple of hours. I've had other album changes go on for weeks.

If your net connections bad and your clients are local you might want to try getting them round. Crack open a bottle of red and make a night out of it for them.

Jul 18, 2012 at 01:53 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Album Selection

ai3x wrote:
Yeah it's especially good if you get the feeling the changes could become long and protracted. Since it's only a single session it can never really last more than a couple of hours. I've had other album changes go on for weeks.

If your net connections bad and your clients are local you might want to try getting them round. Crack open a bottle of red and make a night out of it for them.

Yep, that is the other option I offer right now. BTW, you mention prints... do you always produce a full set of 6x4's along with any album, as a way of showing the album doesn't have to be about quantity?

Jul 18, 2012 at 02:29 PM
ai3x
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Album Selection

I don't offer a full set no, I offer print credit. Prints to me are cheap and throwing them in with an album is a good way of making it look like they're getting more for their money. But yes I do use them as a means of showing that an album should be a showpiece rather than crammed with everything.

Jul 18, 2012 at 05:00 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Album Selection

Right, well I tried suggesting pre-design + choosing around 20 images and... I got a list of 75 images and a suggestion to fit them around what I thought worked well. Doesn't leave a lot of room for flexibility :/. But can't say I'm terribly surprised...

I spoke about this yesterday evening with a couple who's wedding I shot on Saturday and they definitely preferred this idea though, so hopefully I can go with it. They agreed that the process can be overwhelming, and that in part you're paying for the photographers vision, so to completely ignore that at the last stage would be a shame. This was face-to-face though, where as before (above) was done via email. So perhaps that is part of the problem, I'm not sure.

Jul 25, 2012 at 02:22 PM
PhotoFly99

p.1 #11 · Album Selection

I'm a photographer and hate this process. I hire EVER Album Design to design (www.everalbumdesign.com) and take control of the album making process. They design and work directly with a couple of album companies. They are currently offering KISS Books and Cypress Albums. They allow me to free up my time so I can focus on booking weddings.

Sep 11, 2012 at 07:22 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password