FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       5       end

Archive 2012 · AS Z1, Markins M20, or RRS BH55

surf monkey
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · AS Z1, Markins M20, or RRS BH55

sjms wrote:
i had a B1 with the aspheric ball. in the long run it really didn't make a world of difference at all. sounds cool but really has minimal effect.
i then went to markins and i've been at RRS since they came out.

Interesting.
I seems to make a difference for me.
Maybe it works better in the Z1?
It's not a "world of difference" of course, but I do notice the extra tension when tilted that offsets the additional weight when off-center. Or maybe it's just in my head (pun intended).
I have tried, but haven't bought either the Markins M20 or RRS BH50. Maybe they work the same.
I also have the Markins Q3, and I find the Z1 easier to set the tension just right. This may simply be a factor of it's larger size, or maybe the aspherical design.

But like I said previously, any of the choices are excellent. It really is just a matter of personal preference more than better performance.

Edited on Jul 18, 2012 at 09:09 AM · View previous versions

Jul 18, 2012 at 08:42 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · AS Z1, Markins M20, or RRS BH55

oh there is a "difference" as you said a little extra tension as it rolls fwd. but is it that much that it would be missed over time. for me, not really in the long run. it has been 10 years. some get all tuned up on a single "unique" feature. for me its how the whole thing works together overall.

agree with your last statement totally.

Jul 18, 2012 at 08:54 AM
eskimochaos
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · AS Z1, Markins M20, or RRS BH55

Just picked up an RRS L plate and BH55 from the classifieds. Should have it by the weekend!

Got my dream setup: TVC-34L, BH55 w/ Lever Release and L-Plate!

Jul 18, 2012 at 10:30 AM
rdcny
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · AS Z1, Markins M20, or RRS BH55

Good Luck with it - but I had a terrible experience with their BH-55 - I'd avoid it at all costs...the RRS folks have a nice catalog but their politics are not so nice...

Jul 18, 2012 at 02:10 PM
eskimochaos
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · AS Z1, Markins M20, or RRS BH55

Frankly, it doesn't affect me and I don't care. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and that's not where I want this thread to go. Thanks for your input.

Jul 18, 2012 at 02:11 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · AS Z1, Markins M20, or RRS BH55

My wife uses the Arca Z1 on here Manfrotto 441 carbon for her 300 2.8 and smaller lens... works great... I have the RRS BH-55 on a Feisol 3372 and use it on a 400 2.8... I do not think the RRS performs any better than hers and it does not hold tension as well.. No experience with Markin..

Jul 18, 2012 at 03:13 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · AS Z1, Markins M20, or RRS BH55

oldrattler wrote:
My wife uses the Arca Z1 on here Manfrotto 441 carbon for her 300 2.8 and smaller lens... works great... I have the RRS BH-55 on a Feisol 3372 and use it on a 400 2.8... I do not think the RRS performs any better than hers and it does not hold tension as well.. No experience with Markin..

as to it not holding tension have you done the simple test to see if the ball is actually slipping? it takes but a few minutes.

Jul 18, 2012 at 05:11 PM
eskimochaos
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · AS Z1, Markins M20, or RRS BH55

How do you recommend setting tension on the head? It's not going to see anything heavier than a 5D2 24-70 and some Lee filters.

Jul 18, 2012 at 05:16 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · AS Z1, Markins M20, or RRS BH55

I set it to a small amount with nothing on the head so that it does not flop around. Trying to set the tension for use with a camera/lens (as I suppose it is meant to be used) is basically an exercise in futility. The BH-55 is probably the sturdiest and heaviest mid-sized ball head around, but hardly the most precise.

The A-S has an advantage in that respect because thevballbis slightly aspherical. There are always tradeoffs.

EBH

Jul 18, 2012 at 07:04 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · AS Z1, Markins M20, or RRS BH55

it is a simple ball in socket assy. it is precision manufactured and high tolerance product.
it is not a geared head assy. its precision movement, which it is fully capable of, comes from it user nothing more nothing less.
perceived advantages of certain features aside all quality manufactured ballheads do pretty much the same thing.

Jul 19, 2012 at 08:04 AM
rdcny
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · AS Z1, Markins M20, or RRS BH55

Precision manufactured? Here is my experience with the BH-55: while doing research in Nepal and walking down a grassy path in a national park, the large knob (the "lockdown" knob) became loose and simply fell out of the main part of the ballhead. This was shocking to me...I have never had this experience with any other ballhead...and the ballhead looked brand new. It was not like I was fighting off tigers and rhinos with the tripod (a wonderful Benro) and that awful RRS ballhead.

When I reported this to the folks at RRS, they told me this was a known problem...

Add to that their politics - against Proposition 8 in California - I avoid that company. They don't seem so mom and apple pie to me. They are a business - that is good - but their products need close scrutiny too. And they would do best to keep themselves out of politics.

Edited on Aug 14, 2012 at 08:13 PM · View previous versions

Jul 20, 2012 at 05:27 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · AS Z1, Markins M20, or RRS BH55

yes there is always going to be an error in manufacturing/method/usage. every single maker of product on the planet has had it happen and will. in fact over the years every single company mentioned here has had an issue or two. isolated incidents will happen. i deal with a few of lifes little imperfections every single day in my chosen career and on a fairly high technical order too. you have no idea.

on politics i will say this: open your eyes and look around you. don't limit your scope. there's much more going on that needs scrutiny for ethical methods in how things are done. but then, that might get in the way of your particular view of the world and how you you choose to live and do business in it. things can get real "interesting" when you find out whats/who's behind the curtian in the many aspects of your life.

Jul 20, 2012 at 07:31 AM
JohnJ80
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · AS Z1, Markins M20, or RRS BH55

Exactly right. Everyone is going to have some problem at some time. I will say this - my experience in owning both RRS and Markins - from my perspective, I found the Markins to be a more precise device although I'm not sure it mattered. Any of the mfgs that are listed here by the OP are "can't go wrong" choices.

What I did find though, is that the current generation of tripods in the top end (i.e. Gitzo and RRS) are so light and so stable that it really puts the pressure on the ballhead manufacturers to lose some weight. RRS BH55 is a solid chunk and needs to be put on a diet (haven't checked specs recently though). At the time, the M20 was much lighter. It's just such a waste to put a heavy ballhead on such a light tripod (for me).

Since I also have the Q3 on a Series 2 Gitzo, I also wanted the same control positioning plus the Q3 is, IMO, the best traveler ballhead out there.

As to politics: Everyone in this country gets to have an opinion and express it. Is that great or what? That goes for either side.

J.

Jul 20, 2012 at 10:40 AM
eskimochaos
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · AS Z1, Markins M20, or RRS BH55

Well I just got everything setup and could not be happier. I'm am engineer and appreciate very well made things. This is truly a work of art and an exceptionally well designed piece of hardware. I'm am RRS user for life.

Jul 20, 2012 at 11:03 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · AS Z1, Markins M20, or RRS BH55

go forth and shoot lots of sharp images

Jul 20, 2012 at 12:28 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · AS Z1, Markins M20, or RRS BH55

JohnJ80 wrote:
Exactly right. Everyone is going to have some problem at some time. I will say this - my experience in owning both RRS and Markins - from my perspective, I found the Markins to be a more precise device although I'm not sure it mattered. Any of the mfgs that are listed here by the OP are "can't go wrong" choices.

What I did find though, is that the current generation of tripods in the top end (i.e. Gitzo and RRS) are so light and so stable that it really puts the pressure on the ballhead manufacturers to lose some
...Show more

an opinion and relevent

on expression: true enough but when and where it's appropriate.

Jul 20, 2012 at 12:41 PM
JohnJ80
• • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · AS Z1, Markins M20, or RRS BH55

What's the quote? "What this country needs is more free speech worth listening to."- Hansell B. Duckett

Bottom line: Any of these are good.

Does AS have a website yet?

J.

Jul 20, 2012 at 01:55 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · AS Z1, Markins M20, or RRS BH55

AS - nope

the operatative words are "worth listening to"

Jul 20, 2012 at 05:29 PM
eskimochaos
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · AS Z1, Markins M20, or RRS BH55

RRS TVC-34L, BH55, & 80mm LR Plate by wfarrell4, on Flickr

Jul 20, 2012 at 05:31 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · AS Z1, Markins M20, or RRS BH55

rdcny wrote:
I would avoid the RRS BH-55 for two reasons: (1) my copy had a catastrophic failure when I had my 500mm F4 mounted on it. The larger knob (the lock down knob) simply fell out of the space ("hole") of the ballhead. When I contacted RRS about this, they told me it was a known problem...the glue (or the application thereof) that keeps that part attached to the main part of the ballhead was misapplied, not applied sufficiently or for whatever reasons, had decayed and become undone. My ballhead looked brand new...and as I said above, this is a problem
...Show more
+!
IR12

Jul 20, 2012 at 05:31 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.