Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · 1DX buffer depth video

Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · 1DX buffer depth video

eskimochaos wrote:
So why does Canon provide such small buffers? That's not even a gig of data. The memory technology is there as there are 3 gig video cards with far faster memory busses.

The nikon d4 has over 100 shot buffer without even a card in place.

The D4 doesn't have over 100 shot buffer without even a card in place. Look at the Rob Gailbraiths or any other test with it. He got 86 shots from it in a 30 sec burst with a Lexar 1000x card. And only 54 shots with a standard Sandisk card.
The only way to reach 100 is if you shoot smaller compressed jpg files

Jul 11, 2012 at 05:14 AM
cputeq
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · 1DX buffer depth video

That 12 FPS is an audible orgy. Nice. I mean, I had it with the A77, but only for 1 second, and the sound of just a shutter working (and no mirror) is just a little less manly.

I'm also amazed at how quiet that 5D3 quiet shutter is - wow.

Jul 11, 2012 at 05:48 AM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · 1DX buffer depth video

Lars Johnsson wrote:
In the scenario you give her, I don't belive anybody would press the shutter button at the highest speed all the time
And the Nikon also have a little bit less resolution of course

Lars, believe whatever you like, as I know you can be difficult to persuade otherwise. Quarterback drops back and rolls out looking for a receiver, linebacker in pursuit - 10-15 frames easily - pitches it to a nearby running back, breaks a tackle and punches through a seam in the defense - 10-15 frames - makes a 20-30 yard run - 20-30 frames, based on the rough average of 10 yards per second. As you can see, it's possible to hit a relatively generous buffer limit. No, it won't happen all that frequently, but I'd much rather not have to think about it. Of course not all of those images will be keepers, or great, but it's good to have the choice and at least for my client, they expect a broad selection of images to meet their production requirements. Having shot roughly 200 NFL football games for them now, most of which have been on digital, starting with the original 1D, I have hit the buffer wall a lot and the limitation conditioned me to subconsciously conserve buffer capacity whenever possible by letting off the shutter after about 1.5 seconds. But the consequence has been missed shots. It's really only with the 1DIV where the buffer has been O...K..., in part because of UDMA6 support that emptied the buffer in about 7 seconds, rather than 25-35 seconds in all previous 1D cameras.

Jul 11, 2012 at 08:27 AM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · 1DX buffer depth video

stanj wrote:
EDIT: Adding 8fps and 10fps video
EDIT 2: Adding video of 1DX 6fps sound, vs. 5D3 6fps sound, vs. 5D3 silent sound, vs. 1DX silent sound.

Link to 10fps video

Link to 8fps video

Link to sound comparison video.

Thanks Stan!

10fps is interesting... about 50 frames before it stutters. Unfortunately you had the strap over the counter and it wasn't possible to count the frames in the 8fps video, but considering that at 6fps the camera does around 100 frames, splitting the difference between 10 and 6fps, should allow around 75 frames at 8fps... give or take.

Jul 11, 2012 at 08:39 AM
pcho
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · 1DX buffer depth video

I shoot horse racing at or near the finish line and sometimes the buffer is not enough if I start shooting too early. With the additional shots with the 1dx, I reckon it is just about perfect. I do not need anymore. Larger buffer would be good but not necessary.

Perry

Jul 11, 2012 at 11:43 AM
Will Patterson
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · 1DX buffer depth video

cputeq wrote:

Do you mean when they're both in silent shutter mode? Because otherwise, they're the same to me.

Jul 11, 2012 at 01:06 PM
coranda
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · 1DX buffer depth video

Will Patterson wrote:
Do you mean when they're both in silent shutter mode? Because otherwise, they're the same to me.

The 5D3 sounds substantially quieter to me. It's a little quieter in normal shutter mode but much quieter in silent mode.

Jul 11, 2012 at 01:25 PM
Will Patterson
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · 1DX buffer depth video

I really disagree, personally. The 5D3 if anything sounds worse, has a "higher pitched" metallic sound. But I'll agree it's way quieter in silent mode.

Jul 11, 2012 at 03:19 PM
stanj
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · 1DX buffer depth video

cputeq wrote:

Will Patterson wrote:

The last movie shows both in normal and in silent mode... You can compare directly.

Jul 11, 2012 at 03:38 PM
Will Patterson
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · 1DX buffer depth video

That's the video I am referring to.

Jul 11, 2012 at 03:45 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

SeverianTL
• •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · 1DX buffer depth video

The Digital Picture has an mp3 of a 1DX burst where Bryan gets a 4.8 second burst @ 12fps before the buffer fills. Uses the same Lexar 1000X 32GB card. Stan's full speed burst is only 3.5 seconds. Curious to find out what differences in shooting conditions and settings caused this.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/News/News-Post.aspx?News=2685
http://media.the-digital-picture.com/Sounds/Canon-EOS-1D-X-Burst.mp3

Jul 11, 2012 at 05:08 PM
arbitrage
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · 1DX buffer depth video

Thanks for all the vids....I've been happy with my 6FPS (at the best of times) on the 5D3 and never really missed my 8FPS 7D. However, that 12FPS is simply amazing to see/listen to. Could you post the 14FPS jpeg just for kicks? Would love to hear that

Jul 11, 2012 at 05:15 PM
stanj
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · 1DX buffer depth video

SeverianTL wrote:
The Digital Picture has an mp3 of a 1DX burst where Bryan gets a 4.8 second burst @ 12fps before the buffer fills. Uses the same Lexar 1000X 32GB card. Stan's full speed burst is only 3.5 seconds. Curious to find out what differences in shooting conditions and settings caused this.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/News/News-Post.aspx?News=2685
http://media.the-digital-picture.com/Sounds/Canon-EOS-1D-X-Burst.mp3

Maybe my card was tired. My ISO was 200, maybe his was 100. Maybe his frame rate was lower because the battery was lower: it's documented that the 1DX will slow down on less than full charge, regardless what you set it to. So even in 12fps setting it very well may be running only 10 or 11.

I don't know.

Jul 11, 2012 at 05:20 PM
Will Patterson
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · 1DX buffer depth video

Does anybody know what the max write speed the 1DX is capable of to the CF card?

Jul 11, 2012 at 09:50 PM
stanj
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · 1DX buffer depth video

Will Patterson wrote:
Does anybody know what the max write speed the 1DX is capable of to the CF card?

If the 5D2 is any indicator, then it's firmware dependent. Since the most recent 5D2 firmware, it got wings... I can imagine so would the 1DX.

Jul 11, 2012 at 09:52 PM
Will Patterson
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · 1DX buffer depth video

stanj wrote:
If the 5D2 is any indicator, then it's firmware dependent. Since the most recent 5D2 firmware, it got wings... I can imagine so would the 1DX.

What I'm really wondering is if I should get the Lexar 1000x card or if the 90 mb/s Sandisk Extreme Pro's would be just as good.

Jul 11, 2012 at 09:55 PM
stanj
• • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · 1DX buffer depth video

Will Patterson wrote:

stanj wrote:

Will Patterson wrote:
What I'm really wondering is if I should get the Lexar 1000x card or if the 90 mb/s Sandisk Extreme Pro's would be just as good.

They are not as good by far, even in the 5D3. I have the 64GB ExtremePro and it's a slug in comparison.

Jul 11, 2012 at 09:57 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · 1DX buffer depth video

Lars Johnsson wrote:
I like the 12fps sound

Sound like an old movie projector.

12fps is insane.

It's amazing how much faster 8fps seems than 6fps.

On my 1D IV I had L speed continuous set at 5fps and then changed it to 6 as 5 was glacial. I then changed it to 7fps and even that's a noticeable step up from 6. 5D III with 7fps would have been very nice.

Jul 11, 2012 at 10:15 PM
SoundHound
• • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · 1DX buffer depth video

As I read the R. G. data table the D4 does either 108 or 110 shots with the Sony cards. That's a lot more than 37 if the data is comparable. Yes I would like to have 12fps but I also want more than 3 sec of, continuous, shooting so I would stay with the D4 (with which I have never filled up the buffer).

Jul 12, 2012 at 04:50 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · 1DX buffer depth video

SoundHound wrote:
As I read the R. G. data table the D4 does either 108 or 110 shots with the Sony cards. That's a lot more than 37 if the data is comparable. Yes I would like to have 12fps but I also want more than 3 sec of, continuous, shooting so I would stay with the D4 (with which I have never filled up the buffer).

No it does not do that in RGs test. It does 66 shots with Lexar 1000x cards and 76 shots with the XQD card (with 14 bits lossless compressed NEF files). And that's if he turn off the active-D lighing and similar stuff.
The D4 also has smaller files and less resolution than the 1DX. If shooting very long bursts like 70-80 shots the D4 will be faster than the 1DX. But if shooting bursts like 20-30 shots which also is much more common, the 1DX is faster than the D4.
Remember that 3 sec of continuous shooting with the 1DX gives you more shots than 3 seconds with the D4. Even when it has more resolution.
The 108 and 110 shots you talk about in RGs test, that's when he is shooting continuous with the D4 for 30 sec. So the D4 will give you an average of about 3,5 shots every second then

Jul 12, 2012 at 05:06 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password