FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · Macbook Retina - processing weddings

Kenneth Farver
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Macbook Retina - processing weddings

this may answer some questions:
http://www.mattk.com/2012/07/16/macbook-pro-rentina-for-photoshop-lightroom-and-photographers/

Jul 16, 2012 at 12:56 PM
ryan21
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Macbook Retina - processing weddings

@ryan21
How's the Pegasus R6? I was afraid to get one due to the horror stories of multiple drive failures within the first few months and the long wait times for getting replacement drives. Is it stable for you?

Absolutely kick ass. I actually had it prior to the MBP and used it with an iMac. It screams and has been 100% stable for the past 6 1/2 months. I have heard of a lot of drive failures from people trying to put in different drives than what the R6 originally ships with, while I think it is stupid I spoke with Promise and they confirmed that unless it is the same drive they ship it with then stability will be an issue. So I went online and bought a few spares.

Jul 16, 2012 at 04:14 PM
gabemc
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Macbook Retina - processing weddings

ryan21 wrote:
Well, like many here they are waiting for a legitimate Mac Pro update. My 2006 Mac Pro is about 8x slower than the MBPr so in many ways it is a fabulous replacement! Especially hooked up to the Promise Pegasus R6 for superfast editing. My Mac Pro, as good as it was, will never touch the MBPr. I also have two Apple Thunderbolt Displays which are quite good for editing on. For me it is a stepping stone. I will get a new Mac Pro next year and then the MBPr becomes a purely mobile workstation.

i don't see how a macbook pro would even compete in terms of speed of even a base MacPro.

i have a 3 year old MacPro tower. 8 core with 24GB's of RAM and i would bet that it would outperform most MBP's.

i may be totally wrong and missing out however. i've never claimed to be a computer techy guy

Jul 16, 2012 at 05:24 PM
ryan21
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Macbook Retina - processing weddings

i have a 3 year old MacPro tower. 8 core with 24GB's of RAM and i would bet that it would outperform most MBP's.

i may be totally wrong and missing out however. i've never claimed to be a computer techy guy

The 2009 Mac Pro can be faster depending on processor config... if it is just the baseline then they are about neck and neck. Geekbench scores them 11892 for the Mac Pro and 11991 for my 2.7 MBPr. Compared to my 2006 Mac Pro which is 5267 it is a LOT faster. The real difference is the Thunderbolt I/O that allows me nearly 10 TB of superfast storage. It is faster than when I was using eSATA with my MP to my old RAID.

Jul 17, 2012 at 10:43 AM
ryan21
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Macbook Retina - processing weddings

I thought that the R-MBP has the memory soldiered on and can't be upgraded other than buying with the max ram option? please tell me this isn't true!?

It is true... buy the 16GB if you need it.

Jul 17, 2012 at 10:45 AM
EVO088
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Macbook Retina - processing weddings

so, I think its enough time for you guys to settle down with the new MBPs .. so, how is it treating you guys so far?

Nov 07, 2012 at 10:14 PM
david1234
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Macbook Retina - processing weddings

gabemc wrote:
i don't see how a macbook pro would even compete in terms of speed of even a base MacPro.

Seriously! Heres what i have realized with most people that buy macpros, they NEVER upgrade them and keep them "stock" so 3gbs ram and the 7200hd... Get a freaking SSD run your programs off that, and fill the other bays for data. Get 16gb min of ram or way more because its so dang cheap, and upgrade the video cards which isnt really needed. A mac pro will walk over a macbookpro any day

Nov 08, 2012 at 03:23 AM
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.