Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1      
2
       3       4       end
  

Archive 2012 · D800 Aftermarket Grip...Feedback??
  
 
CGrindahl
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · D800 Aftermarket Grip...Feedback??


LocoPhoto... you don't really think with a username like that you'll be taken seriously, do you?

I don't own a grip and don't want one, but I enjoy the back and forth between proponents of third party grips and the high price spread. The discussion of adding perceived value is interesting as is the feeling that having made an significant investment one has reason to defend it. No one likes to believe they've made a foolish investment. This is especially true for folks spending thousands of dollars on camera gear who then critique photos taken with a point and shoot that cost a few hundreds of dollars.

I bought Nikkor MF lenses rather than the high price spread and am having great fun... of course, I don't have the latest coatings or optical formulas so I can't possibly produce images as fine as what is produced by the latest and greatest. I've heard that comment more than once over the years. But that doesn't matter to me because this is how I want to pursue what is essentially a hobby. I trust folks will find their way both based on their budget and preferences. If spending significantly more money for a high priced grip makes no sense... don't do it. Finding a rationale for that decision may be interesting cookies for the mind, but it is of secondary importance. Just do it!




Jul 12, 2012 at 03:42 PM
traylorc
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · D800 Aftermarket Grip...Feedback??


LocoPhoto wrote:
Just my two cents....not saying there is NEVER a problem....but Nikon and Canon can't say they NEVER have a problem either....

LocoPhoto


I respect your opinion Loco, I just want to make sure that we are not simply being dismissive of the concerns of other forum members on this topic. That's great that you are an advocate of third party grips, but there will be others who remain skeptic or concerned. And they will remain concerned regardless of how many positive reviews there are on Amazon, or regardless of how many negative threads there are on the subjects. Just trying to see both sides of the argument.




Jul 12, 2012 at 05:52 PM
LocoPhoto
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · D800 Aftermarket Grip...Feedback??





I respect your opinion Loco, I just want to make sure that we are not simply being dismissive of the concerns of other forum members on this topic. That's great that you are an advocate of third party grips, but there will be others who remain skeptic or concerned. And they will remain concerned regardless of how many positive reviews there are on Amazon, or regardless of how many negative threads there are on the subjects. Just trying to see both sides of the argument.




I'm not being dismissive of the person's feelings, but I would strive to dismiss any bad information that is exaggerating how concerned anyone should be, especially since these third party grip companies are pricing their gear such that many are helped by the savings. Just trying to help people save their hard earned money and avoid the thinking that leads to buying overpriced gear for wrong reasoning.

We all make foolish decisions, but true foolishness is refusing to admit it. So sure...many have paid way too much for a grip that is not really different than one that cost 1/4th the price, and I get not wanting to face that, but it's not an insult to ourself or others to find we've made a mistake...paying that much for a grip just makes no good sense when the grips are identical and the little badge that says "Nikon" has no real meaning other than spelling out five letters in a row. That's what "brand identity" is about, a company of people who want your money trying so so hard to get you to believe a company's "pitch" of perceived value, that you become willing to give them far more money than the object holds in real value.

"And they will remain concerned regardless of how many positive reviews there are on Amazon,.."

Then that person may want to question why they believe what they believe. If facts can't convey an influence toward truth, then the person isn't interested in truth, or they're dealing with something that is clouding their thinking.

"or regardless of how many negative threads there are on the subjects."

That's the point...there aren't' many negative threads....so why you're trying to make an argument out of the hypothetical when there is no factual grounds for such makes me just wonder what the thought process is? When there is evidence of no real need for concern....is it wise to remain concerned?...That fear tactic is one that companies promote....to their gain and your loss of your hard earned money.

Put it another way...by saving $320 in buying a third party grip over that over-priced Nikon grip...you can buy insurance for years that covers the camera, grip and a lens or three with no-fault coverage. Buying the Nikon grip at $400 you have spent way too much for an $80 item, and you have no money to spend on whatever the other wants are in your life, be it security (then buy insurance possibly), lenses (buy glass), other items (you have over $300 now to go buy them).

I don't dismiss people at all, but I'm happy to help them away from the thinking that dismisses sound reasoning to the detriment of their own finances.

I should add that I respect your opinion as well, I'm not in Mike Tyson Typing mode, punching out views in a pugilistic parry of your own input, just adding my thoughts to your thinking as each of us will have holes potentially in our viewpoints that might benefit from another's involvement.

LocoPhoto



Jul 12, 2012 at 07:15 PM
Jan Brittenson
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · D800 Aftermarket Grip...Feedback??


The OEM D800 grip is definitely more solid than the D7000 grip. The D800 + grip feels like a single piece, with no flex at all; the D7000 flexes slightly. The other consideration is that RRS and Kirk at least make very nicely form-fitted plates and brackets for the OEM grip, with a lip to prevent rotation. (The OEM grip has an indentation that's perfect for this purpose.) The OEM grip is a very good product, and budget permitting is the obvious choice IMO.



Jul 12, 2012 at 07:35 PM
Guari
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #5 · D800 Aftermarket Grip...Feedback??


I would love to buy a grip for my 800. But I don't need it badly.

I will not risk my camera warranty to a possible failure by using a 3rd party grip.

i can wait for nikon to lower the price, I have no rush.



Jul 12, 2012 at 07:55 PM
traylorc
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #6 · D800 Aftermarket Grip...Feedback??




I respect your opinion Loco, I just want to make sure that we are not simply being dismissive of the concerns of other forum members on this topic. That's great that you are an advocate of third party grips, but there will be others who remain skeptic or concerned. And they will remain concerned regardless of how many positive reviews there are on Amazon, or regardless of how many negative threads there are on the subjects. Just trying to see both sides of the argument.




I'm not being dismissive of the person's feelings, but I would strive to dismiss any bad information that is exaggerating how concerned anyone should be, especially since these third party grip companies are pricing their gear such that many are helped by the savings. Just trying to help people save their hard earned money and avoid the thinking that leads to buying overpriced gear for wrong reasoning.

We all make foolish decisions, but true foolishness is refusing to admit it. So sure...many have paid way too much for a grip that is not really different than one that cost 1/4th the price, and I get not wanting to face that, but it's not an insult to ourself or others to find we've made a mistake...paying that much for a grip just makes no good sense when the grips are identical and the little badge that says "Nikon" has no real meaning other than spelling out five letters in a row. That's what "brand identity" is about, a company of people who want your money trying so so hard to get you to believe a company's "pitch" of perceived value, that you become willing to give them far more money than the object holds in real value.

"And they will remain concerned regardless of how many positive reviews there are on Amazon,.."

Then that person may want to question why they believe what they believe. If facts can't convey an influence toward truth, then the person isn't interested in truth, or they're dealing with something that is clouding their thinking.

"or regardless of how many negative threads there are on the subjects."

That's the point...there aren't' many negative threads....so why you're trying to make an argument out of the hypothetical when there is no factual grounds for such makes me just wonder what the thought process is? When there is evidence of no real need for concern....is it wise to remain concerned?...That fear tactic is one that companies promote....to their gain and your loss of your hard earned money.

Put it another way...by saving $320 in buying a third party grip over that over-priced Nikon grip...you can buy insurance for years that covers the camera, grip and a lens or three with no-fault coverage. Buying the Nikon grip at $400 you have spent way too much for an $80 item, and you have no money to spend on whatever the other wants are in your life, be it security (then buy insurance possibly), lenses (buy glass), other items (you have over $300 now to go buy them).

I don't dismiss people at all, but I'm happy to help them away from the thinking that dismisses sound reasoning to the detriment of their own finances.

I should add that I respect your opinion as well, I'm not in Mike Tyson Typing mode, punching out views in a pugilistic parry of your own input, just adding my thoughts to your thinking as each of us will have holes potentially in our viewpoints that might benefit from another's involvement.

LocoPhoto


I understand your point....you wonder why folks worry about the potential risks of using an aftermarket grip because there are numerous positive reviews of aftermarket grips or supposedly there are not as many negative threads as there are positive threads regarding these grips. Whenever I am considering the purchase of any piece of electronics I try to accumulate as many facts as possible and make an informed decision. I think you feel the same way.

But here is the reality....sometimes make decisions despite what all the facts may suggest. Sometimes all it takes is hearing a story, seeing a friend/peer/co-worker, or having a bad experience with aftermarket product to dissuade an individual from purchasing third party products. We can argue "facts" all day long, and they will not listen. Fair or not, I believe there is a negative perception or stigma out there about aftermarket products in general.

While you may feel paying $320 more for an overpriced Nikon grip is foolish or prevents you from having discretionary income to spend on other items, some individuals do not care. These individuals may have an abundance of disposable income. Some may feel they obtain peace of mind from purchasing the Nikon grip and not having to worry about potentially negating their warranty is worth the $320 premium. Others may purchase authentic Nikon accessories because they believe it will make it easier if they elect to sell their camera in the future.

In my opinion....that's okay. Different strokes for different folks.


Jul 12, 2012 at 09:45 PM
CGrindahl
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #7 · D800 Aftermarket Grip...Feedback??


I wish you guys would learn how to use the quote button available at the lower right side of every post on FM. And when you excerpt a portion of a quote, which is simple, easy and at times elegant, just make certain you have the same number of end quotes "/quote" in brackets as "quote" in brackets. Simply copying comments and pasting them in your post makes reading them unnecessarily confusing and often redundant. This really isn't rocket science...


Jul 12, 2012 at 09:59 PM
Tete
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #8 · D800 Aftermarket Grip...Feedback??


I have used both third party and manufacturer. Both have worked great. If I were in a safari I would opt for the Nikon version. But in most cases the third party one is fine. And in my experience have had no issues with them. No body starts a thread to talk about how great their grip is. But i can assure you there are 3 threads started every time one goes wrong.

It's your money, spend it how you see fit.



Jul 13, 2012 at 01:25 AM
LocoPhoto
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #9 · D800 Aftermarket Grip...Feedback??


Well said, and agreed.

And to the last two posts...agreed as well. Wow..harmony on the internet...whooda thought that could happen? And yes, I'd love to get a hang of the quote button as well, I was in a rush to move onto something next so I didn't check my post, but I knew it might be a bit messy. I'll tinker with it for future replies so I can be most respectful of the experience I'm creating online.

Good chatting with you guys, and just for the record...my point isn't aimed at people without disposable income. I can afford the Nikon grip and other toys as well, but there is nothing wrong with mixing good thinking with a good budget. Keeps one from wasting, which typically leads to more wasting. No insult implied toward anyone that buys the higher priced gear.

My D800e third party grip should be here soon, I'll report back if anyone is curious. I'm sure I'll love it, and with that said...watch my camera explode on contact.

LocoPhoto




Jul 13, 2012 at 05:25 AM
vtec44
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #10 · D800 Aftermarket Grip...Feedback??


I got one today and it's working great. The rubber grip matches the D800 grip perfectly. AF-On button, shutter button, and joystick are all working as they should. Obviously, it's made out of plastic and not magnesium like the OEM grip. However, fit and finish is great and you won't be able to tell from just by looking at it. It's a great alternative if you don't want to shell out $400+ dollar.


Jul 13, 2012 at 05:32 AM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



Tete
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #11 · D800 Aftermarket Grip...Feedback??


CGrindahl wrote:
LocoPhoto... you don't really think with a username like that you'll be taken seriously, do you?



in Loco's defense

We are on the internet.. Nothing here can be taken seriously.



Jul 13, 2012 at 06:16 AM
CGrindahl
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #12 · D800 Aftermarket Grip...Feedback??




If we all truly believed that we'd likely have much more fun and far fewer conflicts. As I've learned along the way "being right is the booby prize..." But it took a few years so I accept there are those among us who still feel the need to demonstrate their perspicacity...



Jul 13, 2012 at 06:29 AM
LocoPhoto
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #13 · D800 Aftermarket Grip...Feedback??


If that's a pot shot at me for being articulate I'd only say that I'm not looking to demonstrate anything...only apply it to be helpful to others.

LocoPhoto


CGrindahl wrote:


If we all truly believed that we'd likely have much more fun and far fewer conflicts. As I've learned along the way "being right is the booby prize..." But it took a few years so I accept there are those among us who still feel the need to demonstrate their perspicacity...




Jul 13, 2012 at 06:07 PM
LocoPhoto
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #14 · D800 Aftermarket Grip...Feedback??


vtec44 wrote:
I got one today and it's working great. The rubber grip matches the D800 grip perfectly. AF-On button, shutter button, and joystick are all working as they should. Obviously, it's made out of plastic and not magnesium like the OEM grip. However, fit and finish is great and you won't be able to tell from just by looking at it. It's a great alternative if you don't want to shell out $400+ dollar.



Hey which one you get? The Meike? My understanding is there is magnesium in that badness. Mine hasn't arrived yet, should be next week is my guess.

LocoPhoto



Jul 13, 2012 at 06:09 PM
vtec44
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #15 · D800 Aftermarket Grip...Feedback??


Yeah I got the Meikie. I didn't realize it has magnesium. It's very light but seems to be well put together. Oh, it doesn't have the tray for the new ENEL18 (only ENEL15 and AA trays).


Jul 13, 2012 at 07:29 PM
aztwang1
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #16 · D800 Aftermarket Grip...Feedback??


Thanks guys..... Great info and arguments. I orderd my Pixel today. I will report as soon as it arrives.


Jul 14, 2012 at 06:32 AM
Johnmel
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #17 · D800 Aftermarket Grip...Feedback??


vtec44 wrote:
I got one today and it's working great. The rubber grip matches the D800 grip perfectly. AF-On button, shutter button, and joystick are all working as they should. Obviously, it's made out of plastic and not magnesium like the OEM grip. However, fit and finish is great and you won't be able to tell from just by looking at it. It's a great alternative if you don't want to shell out $400+ dollar.



Here in the UK the Nikon OEM grip is 370 = 575 USD(Approx) an outrageous price in my opinion.



Jul 14, 2012 at 06:31 PM
sante
Offline

Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #18 · D800 Aftermarket Grip...Feedback??


I just received a MeiKe battery pack, placed on my D800E and everything works as it's supposed to, af-on for focusig, control wheels for shutter speed and aperturel and multiselector. I have the mb-d11 for my D7000 and they look almost identical. One thing I may add is that holding the camera with the grip does feel a lot more confortable in my hand specially with the the heavier lenses; 70-200, 24-70. The fit is perfect to the 800E. I hope this helps.

Sante



Jul 14, 2012 at 10:36 PM
jhinkey
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #19 · D800 Aftermarket Grip...Feedback??


sante wrote:
I just received a MeiKe battery pack, placed on my D800E and everything works as it's supposed to, af-on for focusig, control wheels for shutter speed and aperturel and multiselector. I have the mb-d11 for my D7000 and they look almost identical. One thing I may add is that holding the camera with the grip does feel a lot more confortable in my hand specially with the the heavier lenses; 70-200, 24-70. The fit is perfect to the 800E. I hope this helps.

Sante


Could you post a picture of the grip installed on your D800E?



Jul 14, 2012 at 10:57 PM
sante
Offline

Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #20 · D800 Aftermarket Grip...Feedback??


jhinkey, I hope these will help you decide. If you have other questions let me know, and I will try to answer.

Sante

















Jul 15, 2012 at 02:53 PM
1      
2
       3       4       end




FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1      
2
       3       4       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password