Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Scammers thru PMs

choiboyogg
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Scammers thru PMs

I figured this wouldn't get to the level that Craigslist did but I have gotten at least four PMs from "sellers" from outside the US

Telling me they got what I am looking for in my WTB ads

Please use caution folks.

Some good ways to know you are dealing with a scammer

1. New account. No feedback (not all new accounts are)
2. Broken English or way too proper
3. Out of the country
4. Some sob story
5. They want to offer you more money than your item is worth
6. Wire transfer or even paypal too

Good hunting

Edited by Fred Miranda on Jul 07, 2012 at 11:53 PM

Jul 07, 2012 at 09:49 PM
anil007
• • •
p.1 #2 · Scammers thru PMs

He/She PMed as well for my WTB.

Jul 07, 2012 at 09:58 PM
sublimesun
• •
p.1 #3 · Scammers thru PMs

canonman12 & gear432

Jul 07, 2012 at 09:58 PM
choiboyogg
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Scammers thru PMs

^yes sir. They are the ones

Jul 07, 2012 at 10:05 PM
netexpress
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Scammers thru PMs

That's a shame. FM is one of the last "clean" B&S boards left. Maybe we could start a scam sticky thread were we post the scam PM's. Usually these guys are no very original so they tend to have the same M.O. and use the same style over and over again. They often use a template and just change the part number, etc. If we post the PM's we will be able to recognize them. If the forum users are "scammer educated" maybe most scammers won't bother with FM. It won't be worth their time.

We could also post some WTB honey pots to bust scammers and shut them down proactively.

Also I want to point out that most of the non-U.S. buyers and sellers on this forum are honest people and I'd hate to see them get cut out of the market here because we all get too afraid of scammers.

Edited on Jul 07, 2012 at 10:13 PM · View previous versions

Jul 07, 2012 at 10:12 PM
Nozzleforward
• • •
p.1 #6 · Scammers thru PMs

I've seen these two today as well: taylorsan and jonahex.

Both of them had posted in WTB ads, when I contacted them about the 50mm 1.4's they were selling, and asked if they were selling anything else, both said no. When I mentioned that I was looking for such and such lens they had posted in a WTB ad for, suddenly it was "oh yes, I have one of those for sale"

Time to go buy a pitchfork!

Jul 07, 2012 at 10:12 PM
kewlcanon
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · Scammers thru PMs

Maybe we should have a sticky thread contains scammers handle.

Jul 07, 2012 at 10:14 PM
choiboyogg
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Scammers thru PMs

Here is the message I got all four times

I am contacting you regarding your wanted advert, How you still interested in buying this item.. I have it still in good working condition and in perfect order. let me know and email me at lucioruiz032@gmail.com for pictures and details,cos am not always checking my fredmiranda.just send me a direct email at lucioruiz032@gmail.com for details

Best regards
Lucio Ruiz
From Canada

Jul 07, 2012 at 10:14 PM
dpinkerton

p.1 #9 · Scammers thru PMs

Just got this one too from "Lucio". Thanks for the warning.

Jul 07, 2012 at 10:28 PM
walky
• •
p.1 #10 · Scammers thru PMs

netexpress wrote:
That's a shame. FM is one of the last "clean" B&S boards left.

Also I want to point out that most of the non-U.S. buyers and sellers on this forum are honest people and I'd hate to see them get cut out of the market here because we all get too afraid of scammers.

I am one of the non-USA buyers/sellers and I value the opportunity to trade with the good people from the US/CAN. It is often difficult enough to get sellers to send things outside the USA (I'm lucky in that I also have a USA shipping point), so the scum trying to rip people off are doing myself and other foreigners no favours.

Please consider the feedback of non-USA/CA people you are looking to work with before deciding we are too much trouble to deal with...

Jul 07, 2012 at 10:40 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Kaustubh
• •
p.1 #11 · Scammers thru PMs

I second for having a dedicated thread against spammer, and would suggest it inside 'BUY and SELL Photogear' with easy access, may be as the top post or the bottom post of the forum permanently so that one has easy access.

Jul 07, 2012 at 10:50 PM
rjk55425
• • • •
p.1 #12 · Scammers thru PMs

Great idea, let's keep this place the best for buying and selling gear by putting the spotlight on these scammers.

Jul 07, 2012 at 11:25 PM
rtread
• •
p.1 #13 · Scammers thru PMs

I just had one spam me he was from canada. CanonMan12

Jul 07, 2012 at 11:47 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #14 · Scammers thru PMs

They have all been banned.
Recently, I have allowed the email server "gmail.com" register in our forum and that is the source all 100% of the scammers. That is too bad because many good folks use gmail.com.
The best way to combat this type of thing is to LET ME KNOW by PM as soon as possible!
I do act fast!
Best,
Fred

Edited on Jul 07, 2012 at 11:56 PM

Jul 07, 2012 at 11:53 PM
choiboyogg
• • • •
p.1 #15 · Scammers thru PMs

Good thing I PM'd you then

Jul 07, 2012 at 11:55 PM
Wobble
• • •
p.1 #16 · Scammers thru PMs

Thank you Fred!!! I have, knock on wood, had very good experiences on FM in my time here.

Jul 08, 2012 at 01:35 AM
anthonysemone
• • • •
p.1 #17 · Scammers thru PMs

choiboyogg wrote:
Here is the message I got all four times

I am contacting you regarding your wanted advert, How you still interested in buying this item.. I have it still in good working condition and in perfect order. let me know and email me at lucioruiz032@gmail.com for pictures and details,cos am not always checking my fredmiranda.just send me a direct email at lucioruiz032@gmail.com for details

Best regards
Lucio Ruiz
From Canada

Tell Lucio to send the item to you for your inspection, and, if it is as advertised, you will send him/her payment. He should expect, however, that, since you are out of the country attending your great great uncle's mother's sister's funeral in Nigeria, that it will be a bit before you can get to it.

Jul 08, 2012 at 01:36 AM
bswpu012
• •
p.1 #18 · Scammers thru PMs

I just got that exact PM from canonman12 a few hours ago. It says his acct is locked so hopefully they can block his IP. I did notice there is no 'Report User' type button readily available, or am I just missing it?

Jul 08, 2012 at 02:04 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #19 · Scammers thru PMs

bswpu012 wrote:
I just got that exact PM from canonman12 a few hours ago. It says his acct is locked so hopefully they can block his IP. I did notice there is no 'Report User' type button readily available, or am I just missing it?

I removed all PMs as well.
I do block IPs...but they keep changing after every login.
The best remedy is to let me know as soon as possible.

Please read the board guidelines. I do write about "WTB" PMs.
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/boardrules.htm

Jul 08, 2012 at 02:47 AM
choiboyogg
• • • •
p.1 #20 · Scammers thru PMs

It's probably because these guys are at An Internet cafe at different locations

Jul 08, 2012 at 05:06 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register