Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · A couple of Hummers

viczig
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · A couple of Hummers

Among my first attempts at shooting them, I'm not to happy with the dark background caused by the flash.

NIKON D2X    70.0-200.0 mm f/2.8 lens    70mm    f/4.0    1/250s    140 ISO    0.0 EV  

NIKON D2X    70.0-200.0 mm f/2.8 lens    70mm    f/4.0    1/250s    140 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jul 06, 2012 at 05:53 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · A couple of Hummers

You have beautiful detail Vic.

It is not the flash that is causing the dark background, it is your ambient exposure. What you need to do is expose for the ambient light as if you are not using flash. The ISO you chose is very low and you want one that will give you a reasonable fast shutter as the ambient exposure will be part of your exposure. I like to do my primary exposure in manual and use auto flash though you can use auto exposure if you like. As you are shooting Nikon you can take advantage of the wonderful Nikon CLS feature called Balanced Light. This will require your setting your metering mode to Matrix so that the camera can meter the background and tell the flash to expose to put the same amount of flash on your subject as is on the background. Also enable High Speed Sync on your body to allow the use of flash at high shutter speeds. Set your flash for TTL-BL and you should be close to where you want to be if not spot on.

Good luck,

Morris

Jul 06, 2012 at 06:45 PM
viczig
• • •
p.1 #3 · A couple of Hummers

Thanks Morris I'll give it a go.

Jul 06, 2012 at 08:39 PM
Ted ellis
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · A couple of Hummers

Victor, I have no problem with a dark bg. In many cases I seek darker bgs when shooting hummers. Some noise reduction greatly enhances your image(s).

Ted

Jul 06, 2012 at 08:47 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Tim Kuhn
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · A couple of Hummers

For my eye the dark background works nicely, it is the bright objects in the background that I find distracting. The bird is tack sharp and beautiful

Tim

Jul 06, 2012 at 10:02 PM
Jonathan Huynh
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · A couple of Hummers

Excellence.

Jul 07, 2012 at 04:17 AM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · A couple of Hummers