Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Oriental Darter

NikonGuy221

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Oriental Darter

Here are some pics I took of an Oriental Darter a couple of years ago in Habarana, Sri Lanka. The second pic didn't have great light (the sun was behind a cloud) but I like the pose better...

My original blog post here
http://www.sashdias.com/photography-blog/origami-or-oriental-darter.html

Jul 06, 2012 at 05:25 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Oriental Darter

The first is a beauty and looks very much like our Anhinga. For the first photo you used +1 EV compensation, the second only +2/3 yet the sky looks like it was just a bright (Iím judging by the change in the brightness of the sky. I suspect you needed to be at +1 1/3 for the second. Some of us prefer to use manual exposure to avoid the odd effects of backgrounds on the exposure as we are trying to expose the subject, not the background which is where evaluative metering systems go. Google Sunny 16 to learn about setting your exposure without using your cameraís meter. Also consider using an incident light meter or take light readings from neutral subjects such as the blue sky facing away from the sun, the palm of your hand, or foliage.

Morris

Jul 06, 2012 at 05:43 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Oriental Darter

Nice set. They look so much like the Anhinga, it is amazing.

Birdie

Jul 06, 2012 at 06:34 PM
jamach
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Oriental Darter

both images can be improved with a little processing and adjustment layers. without adjustment it is all about settings and luck, just like film days. The new darkroom is in the computer, although many cameras allow for in camera adjustments. I don't think there was ever a film person that did not manipulate their developing.

#1 has a sophistication about it that is artful, imho

Joe

Jul 07, 2012 at 02:12 AM
Jude Perera
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Oriental Darter

Nice captures. Love the first one.

Jude

Jul 08, 2012 at 07:18 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register