Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2012 · Cubs Killed - Bear #130 and Family (Grizzly) - along Trans Canada Highway

Fisherman
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Cubs Killed - Bear #130 and Family (Grizzly) - along Trans Canada Highway

Love these, especially the ones of the black bear.

Jul 08, 2012 at 10:43 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Cubs Killed - Bear #130 and Family (Grizzly) - along Trans Canada Highway

Fisherman: The black bear was a chunky fellow. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Jul 08, 2012 at 10:56 PM
eyelaser
• • • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Cubs Killed - Bear #130 and Family (Grizzly) - along Trans Canada Highway

Having not seen these guys in the wild I am amazed how many you see on a fairly regular basis. Photo "A" of the black bear portion is my favorite. But of course any of these would be a welcome addition to my hard drive!
Eric

Jul 08, 2012 at 11:12 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Cubs Killed - Bear #130 and Family (Grizzly) - along Trans Canada Highway

Eyelaser: You should have been with me this morning. I almost died of fright.

I was shooting landscapes at Bow Lake and returned to my car and started putting my lens and tripod away, and behind me I heard some trotting. I turned around and a grizzly was at full speed running (thought he was charging) toward me. He was running so fast by the time I processed the event he had gained about 50' and was closing the last 50', full speed at a big trot flying through the air between strides.

I was debating jumping in my back door on top of my 500 f4, ts17, 5diii.... with the damage that would result... and also considering that I had run out of time and likely would be pulled from the car and should just face him.. but then I decided he was going to go by me since (now down to 20') he was going so fast and slightly tangently, so I pulled my camera up, but by then he flashed by within 10' and kept on going, without a picture to prove it. All took about 2 seconds.

It took about 10 minutes for my heart to slow down and the adrenaline to decline. Then I followed with my big lens and car (car first) to check to see whether he had surprised the other photographer I saw, and the other guy send the same thing. About 300' beyond me he went over a bridge with full speed and a look toward the other guy, and carried on, leaving the other photographer in the same state. Finally I just found a group of hikers with their bear spray out - about 1/2 km away, so he must have kept on going exciting everyone in the path.

After the incident, I checked around and found that:
1) a fishermen had disturbed the bear in the bushes - he was equally excited.
2) the bear had been hazed (shot with bean bags) the previous evening because he was hanging out too close to the lodge

So despite my intense excitement, he was just running by me at full speed (amazing speed) to get away from a (imagined) pending bean bag in the but.

I have operated with as long as I am within 1/3 of the distance between car - assuming I am 1/3 the speed - but now I know I could not even get my bear spray out in this time.

Thanks for the comments. Much appreciated.

Scott

[ You are likely to see this story posted again so its not buried below a long posting, so indulge me.]

Jul 08, 2012 at 11:31 PM
Schlotkins
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Cubs Killed - Bear #130 and Family (Grizzly) - along Trans Canada Highway

These are just fantastic shots. I thought I commented on them already, but this is the 4th time I've looked at them. I love #4 and the last one. That is one big bear!!

I'm glad to hear that you are OK - I can't imagine the fear level. I hope I get to see some of these guys one day ... without quite that much excitement.

Chris

Jul 09, 2012 at 11:06 AM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Cubs Killed - Bear #130 and Family (Grizzly) - along Trans Canada Highway

Schlotkins: This is the time of the year to take bear pictures (and again in late September/ early October). You should come and see them yourself. Glad you like them so much. It was a fantastic day. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Jul 09, 2012 at 01:55 PM
Conrad Tan
• • • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Cubs Killed - Bear #130 and Family (Grizzly) - along Trans Canada Highway

Very nice!

Jul 10, 2012 at 04:22 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Cubs Killed - Bear #130 and Family (Grizzly) - along Trans Canada Highway

Conrad Tan: Glad you like them. Thanks for teh feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Jul 10, 2012 at 06:48 PM
waldr_p
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Cubs Killed - Bear #130 and Family (Grizzly) - along Trans Canada Highway

Cool set Scott, that last black bear image is of one big beast!

Paul.

Jul 12, 2012 at 10:17 AM
James McQueen
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Cubs Killed - Bear #130 and Family (Grizzly) - along Trans Canada Highway

Wow …………… awesome bear images. I’d be a nervous wreck that close to danger and would forget to snap the image.

- Jim

Jul 12, 2012 at 10:25 AM
dalite
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Cubs Killed - Bear #130 and Family (Grizzly) - along Trans Canada Highway

Scott, you are so fortunate to be living close to this beautiful stretch of Hwy, and with such wildlife. Nice shots.

Jul 13, 2012 at 07:13 PM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Cubs Killed - Bear #130 and Family (Grizzly) - along Trans Canada Highway

Nice work Scott. #4 is a great image.

Jul 14, 2012 at 08:32 AM
OwlsEyes
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Cubs Killed - Bear #130 and Family (Grizzly) - along Trans Canada Highway

Scott I really like the solitary cub... amazing what iso 3200 can do even on a 7D
I'm not sure if it's the perspective, but I've got to say that your final black bear is a real giant of a bear... looks like he/she has had her fill of dandelion salad
cheers,
bruce

Jul 14, 2012 at 08:42 AM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Cubs Killed - Bear #130 and Family (Grizzly) - along Trans Canada Highway

Sorry for being tardy. I am just back from a whole lot of fun in the deep woods, involving wet sleeping bags and carrying too many lens.

waldr_p: He was a really healthy bear. Everyone says I am healthy too - but thats another story. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

James McQueen: Looking through the lens gives you confidence - false confidence Glad you like the bears. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

dalite: I agree - within a couple of hours there are endless opportunities to be eaten by a bear or find a great picture. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

KCollett:Glad you like 4. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

OwlsEyes: I have put the cub on as my screen saver. I like him too. 3200 works, it just requres a good exposure. Amazing what a dandelion can do. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Jul 15, 2012 at 10:40 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Cubs Killed - Bear #130 and Family (Grizzly) - along Trans Canada Highway

Some excellent captures Scott. I love C (as does everyone it seems) !

Slow SS ? I dream of 1/250 on some birding days Though yes, slow for 500+1.4

Jul 16, 2012 at 01:01 AM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Cubs Killed - Bear #130 and Family (Grizzly) - along Trans Canada Highway

Frogfish: Those pesky bears only stick their head out late in the day, and 9:30PM shooting is challenging for light in the mountains with the big shadows. Glad you like them. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Jul 16, 2012 at 01:29 PM
Britserker

p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Cubs Killed - Bear #130 and Family (Grizzly) - along Trans Canada Highway

I am really sad to report both cubs of Bear 130 were struck and killed by a train in Banff today. The CBC report of the incident is here.

Oct 08, 2012 at 07:09 PM
raymondjbarlow
• • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Cubs Killed - Bear #130 and Family (Grizzly) - along Trans Canada Highway

very awesome images!

Oct 08, 2012 at 07:19 PM
B Benson
• • • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Cubs Killed - Bear #130 and Family (Grizzly) - along Trans Canada Highway

Whoa, C is one fat bear. Bruce

Oct 08, 2012 at 08:07 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Cubs Killed - Bear #130 and Family (Grizzly) - along Trans Canada Highway

Britserker wrote:
I am really sad to report both cubs of Bear 130 were struck and killed by a train in Banff today. The CBC report of the incident is here.

Briserker: Thank you for the sad report. They were healthy looking bears and their mom looked healthy as well. A very big loss for the grizzly population in Banff. Hopefully the railway will find a way to slow the deaths. Scott

Oct 08, 2012 at 11:39 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.