FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

Archive 2012 · Hyperbole Abound

SloPhoto
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Hyperbole Abound

The fact that this forum can still support some critique is why I read it so often.

While I should likely stay out of it until I am a better photographer, I strongly feel that it is a great tool for pushing each other to do better.

Two key examples-
I posted to another FM forum a photo with some processing that I was unsure of. I learned NOTHING about how to refine/improve that processing from the critiques posted. (just a bunch of "thats great" type comments)

A member here posted one of his first weddings to this forum and to a separate wedding forum (lets call it forum B). It was a fairly rough wedding, and he received tons of critical viewpoints here. On forum B he received nothing but a bunch of pats on the back. Fast forward several months and he has become far better in several respects that directly correlate to the critiques he received here.

Jul 06, 2012 at 09:28 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Hyperbole Abound

I thought about a situation Chuck found himself in on another forum. He offered a tactful, helpful honest critique. He bent over backwards to not be negative, although it was warranted. The OP was a little defensive, but acknowledged the truthfulness and intent of the post. However, out of the blue came a battalion of white knights to defend the honor of the OP. The attacks on Chuck became personal, questioning his motivation. The OP was cool (sort of), it was others who showed their rears.

Jul 07, 2012 at 01:48 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Hyperbole Abound

marti.g3 wrote:
Opinions are like..............everyone's got one.

heard this the other day.....

opinions ... every has one but my opinions are right.

Jul 08, 2012 at 09:50 AM
Sergio Mottola
• • • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Hyperbole Abound

most critiques are just people of vastly different socioeconomic and geographical backgrounds disagreeing on a standard of what wedding photography is or should be. i could say "this really lacks any flair or interesting storytelling" but if someone sells posed work in a different market, why even bother? that's why you see more affirming posts than the opposite. it's better to build than tear down.

Jul 08, 2012 at 12:55 PM
katiedis
• • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Hyperbole Abound

Chuck, you were one of the people who gave me very thoughtful, useful feedback when I was just starting out. I always valued it. I totally agree with your original post!

Jul 08, 2012 at 07:13 PM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Hyperbole Abound

Sergio Mottola wrote:
most critiques are just people of vastly different socioeconomic and geographical backgrounds disagreeing on a standard of what wedding photography is or should be. i could say "this really lacks any flair or interesting storytelling" but if someone sells posed work in a different market, why even bother? that's why you see more affirming posts than the opposite. it's better to build than tear down.

I for one would love to see you do some critique. It is very clear what your brand/style is so it should be easy for someone who is not selling that style to take your critique with a grain of salt and only use it when the time is appropriate.

I am sure you have valuable insight even for the most posed of styles, as I suspect there are artists you look up to who have a completely different style from your own.

Jul 08, 2012 at 07:26 PM
John-Tolentino
• •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Hyperbole Abound

As a new member and a rookie photographer, I tend to state what i like and don't like about a specific set. I try not to comment on technical aspect as it may offend others since it's coming from a rookie like myself. I concentrate more on the aesthetic of the photographs and how it looks from non-photographer's POV (if that makes any sense).

I've given a couple of negative feedbacks mostly when I knew that the OP would somewhat benefit from it. I tend to response more on those images that other people does not care to give any comments on as I can relate to them. But there are those photographers that post wonderful images and the only word out of me is just plain "AWESOME"

The reason I joined this forum is to receive honest feedback even if its delivered in a blunt fashion as long as the comment is constructive and detailed to a point where it's beneficial to me.

Jul 09, 2012 at 09:32 AM
jb1970
• •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Hyperbole Abound

Sergio Mottola wrote:

Very true. Once you get past any basic issues the 'artistic' aspect can be a matter of horses for courses.

Jul 09, 2012 at 11:10 AM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Hyperbole Abound

SloPhoto wrote:
I for one would love to see you do some critique. It is very clear what your brand/style is so it should be easy for someone who is not selling that style to take your critique with a grain of salt and only use it when the time is appropriate.

I am sure you have valuable insight even for the most posed of styles, as I suspect there are artists you look up to who have a completely different style from your own.

Just because Serg has a different style than most does not mean we should necessarily take his crit with a grain of salt.
I find that during wedding season we get a HUGE amount of new people posting and quite frankly it is almost a full time job just to keep up on all the posts. Sitting down and critiquing 100s of photos a day ... or even just a few whole sets... takes a good portion of time. It is far easier to pop in and tell our friends good job and then get back to editing.

Jul 09, 2012 at 11:17 AM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Hyperbole Abound

Again. I'm not really talking about critiques. I just think we should be more judicious with our superlatives.

Jul 09, 2012 at 11:28 AM
lisy78
• • • • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Hyperbole Abound

canerino wrote:
Again. I'm not really talking about critiques. I just think we should be more judicious with our superlatives.

I agree 1000%

Jul 09, 2012 at 11:37 AM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · Hyperbole Abound

hardlyboring wrote:
Just because Serg has a different style than most does not mean we should necessarily take his crit with a grain of salt.
I find that during wedding season we get a HUGE amount of new people posting and quite frankly it is almost a full time job just to keep up on all the posts. Sitting down and critiquing 100s of photos a day ... or even just a few whole sets... takes a good portion of time. It is far easier to pop in and tell our friends good job and then get back to editing.

I agree, not giving a the time is a valid reason not to. But to think we are not getting valuable critique from sergio because he thinks it would be counterproductive..... that sucks.

Jul 09, 2012 at 12:44 PM
Andrew Welsh
• • • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · Hyperbole Abound

Heh, a discussion thread about discussion threads. It's meta-FM.

This is my glowing contribution for today

P.S> Serg has a good point, someone shooting like he does here in upstate NY would have only a select few clients from this area... the vast majority would pass him by in favor of more traditional photos. Likewise, a traditional photographer in Seattle would be about as cool as the macarena.

Jul 09, 2012 at 09:54 PM
1       2       3      
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.