Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Left or right?

Toothwalker
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Left or right?

Somebody saw me taking a picture and told me that I am a rare bird. I don't believe it. Let's collect statistics.

Which eye do you use with viewfinder cameras? Is there a correlation with handedness?

Jul 05, 2012 at 11:03 PM
PSquared63
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Left or right?

I used to be right-handed and right-eyed, but after LASIK, my left eye Is actually better than my right eye, so I converted to left-eyed shooting.

Jul 05, 2012 at 11:16 PM
OneAnt
• • •
p.1 #3 · Left or right?

Sometimes I( hold the camera upside-down so it took me a while agonizing over how to vote.

One day in the street I had guy ask me what I was doing. He said it in a tone that suggested he thought I wasn't aware the camera was upside-down.
I told him I had inverted eyeballs and he looked into my eyes to see this amazing turn of nature. I love making folk tales ...I've made a few and the objective is that one day someone will say "did you hear about?" and having the folk tale came back to me is the trophy. I haven't had one come back yet but I know it takes a while. I don't expect this one to survive as a tale, its the wrong kind of topic so I have no difficulty telling you this one.

While he was looking into my eyes (think about it) I was telling him that I see everything upside-down ...

He was in awe.

Ant
uʍop ǝpısdn ǝǝs uɐɔ

Jul 05, 2012 at 11:41 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Left or right?

! Awesome....

I voted no preference. I go from R to L and back in the blink of an eye - literally. Changing off eyes provides me with a new take on the scene I'm composing. Not sure why but it seems to help in that regard. It also keeps the humidity from building up on the internal structure and circuit board thereby either preventing rust from forming on the unprotected tin skeleton or condensing to short out the electronics. You might think I'm kidding but Panasonic GH1, G1, G2, GH2 and similar bodies are built so freaking cheaply both have actually happened already to me.

Using either eye is not a big deal as I don't seem to favor one eye over the other so....

Jul 06, 2012 at 01:25 AM
kwalsh
• • •
p.1 #5 · Left or right?

OneAnt wrote:
While he was looking into my eyes (think about it) I was telling him that I see everything upside-down ...

Wow, that must be really useful down there! I'm sure your countrymen are jealous!

Jul 06, 2012 at 02:11 AM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Left or right?

I voted no preference. My left eye is a little better, but I've switched to right eye since I've started shooting the X100 and NEX-7, for the sake of the viewfinder location. I've switched back and forth several times over the years. If both of your eyes are relatively equal in vision, it isn't tough to switch...at least not nearly as tough as switching hand dominance.

Jul 06, 2012 at 03:39 AM
ucphotog
• •
p.1 #7 · Left or right?

I voted right handed and right eyed, but when I have a grip on that lets me shoot portrait mode, I shoot landscape right eyed and portrait with the left. It spreads the eye strain out.

Jul 06, 2012 at 03:53 AM
Beni
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · Left or right?

My left eye is better for manual focus, when I'm shooting alt I use my left.

Jul 06, 2012 at 04:41 AM
redisburning
• • •
Account locked
p.1 #9 · Left or right?

Im right eye dominant (so I voted right-right) but I do alright with my left eye as well.

I am more ambidextrous than most but not enough to truly live up to that term.

Jul 06, 2012 at 04:51 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · Left or right?

I also voted right-right like most "normal" people

But currently shooting with RF cameras, the location of the VF being at the extreme left makes it easy to use the left eye unlike with SLR. So I do shoot with the left eye sometimes, just for fun or because I feel like it.

Jul 06, 2012 at 05:06 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

rscheffler
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Left or right?

kwalsh wrote:
Wow, that must be really useful down there! I'm sure your countrymen are jealous!

Well, technically, we all see everything upside-down, just that our brains correct this minor problem.
Great tale nonetheless!

I too have shot with the camera upside-down. Sometimes, when doing touristy self-portraits, or when I needed that extra inch or two to see over heads in front of me. Works great if the camera has a grip with shutter release on the bottom and you don't mind shooting left-handed.

As for the original question - I am left handed and started off shooting right eyed because that's how SLRs are optimized, therefore for camera control I also became right-handed, though I still can't write right-handed. I've been in photography getting on 30 years now (started very young) and I think I slowly wore out my right eye, because it's now no longer as sharp (astigmatism) as my left eye. Therefore, if it's a matter of critical focus, be it SLR or rangefinder, I switch to left eyed. Incidentally, when I shoot right eye I keep my left eye open for better peripheral vision. Comes from shooting a lot of sports where it's always good to see if danger is coming from the side. This freaks out some subjects, usually at wedding receptions after they've had a few drinks. Same thing when I shoot without even looking through the camera... that really boggles their minds.

Jul 06, 2012 at 07:42 AM
artur5
• •
p.1 #12 · Left or right?

edwardkaraa wrote:
I also voted right-right like most "normal" people

But currently shooting with RF cameras, the location of the VF being at the extreme left makes it easy to use the left eye unlike with SLR. So I do shoot with the left eye sometimes, just for fun or because I feel like it.

Your answer really puzzles me. Due to a problem on my right eye, I'm left eyed only. The location of the viewfinder is one of the reasons for what I've gave up on digital RF cameras. Looking with the left eye through a Leica M8 viewfinder meant squeezing my nose on the rear LCD and/or twisting my neck uncomfortably. I conclude that you haven't a nose.

Jul 06, 2012 at 10:25 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · Left or right?

artur5 wrote:
Your answer really puzzles me. Due to a problem on my right eye, I'm left eyed only. The location of the viewfinder is one of the reasons for what I've gave up on digital RF cameras. Looking with the left eye through a Leica M8 viewfinder meant squeezing my nose on the rear LCD and/or twisting my neck uncomfortably. I conclude that you haven't a nose.

I assure you that I have a big Mediterranean nose

What I meant is that your nose will squeeze into the camera anyway, whether you use an DSLR or RF. But the RF have more space to the right if you are left eyed while DSLR do not.

Jul 06, 2012 at 10:45 AM
Samuli Vahonen
• • •
p.1 #14 · Left or right?

"Right-handed, left-eyed", due to how I shoot 99% of time. However if space requires (or LCDVF is turned wrong way and I would have to turn it 180 degrees and won't since I'm lazy) I shoot with right eye. I'm quite versatile and for reason or another I shoot rifle as well from left or right and I'm way better than average here (we have mandatory army service in Finland) on shooting accuracy, no matter which side I shoot. Same way it really doesn't matter which eye I use for focusing. Also using left eye makes connection of camera to forehead better if one is using optical viewfinder (I don't).

EDIT: even results are same with left or right, I don't feel as comfortable focusing with right eye, it always feels awkward.

Samuli

Jul 06, 2012 at 11:01 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · Left or right?

I'm right handed, left eyed.

It'll be interesting to see how this compares with a similar thread I posted in 2008.

Archive 2008 Left eye, right hand, or what? http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/632749

Jul 06, 2012 at 12:38 PM
AhamB
• • • •
p.1 #16 · Left or right?

Right-handed, left eyed. I can use my right eye, but it's not as easy and I see a quite different color balance, which is a bit disconcerting when changing from left to right while composing. Does anyone else have that difference in color balance? Edit: Apparently some people do: http://www.pixiq.com/article/the-white-balance-of-your-eyes

Jul 06, 2012 at 12:42 PM
mortyb
• • •
p.1 #17 · Left or right?

Right-handed, left eyed.

Jul 06, 2012 at 01:00 PM
gtxtom

p.1 #18 · Left or right?

Left-handed, right-eyed.

Jul 06, 2012 at 03:53 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · Left or right?

artur5 wrote:

As Edward said, it isn't any worse than using any other viewfinder with your left eye. On the positive, when I switch to left eye with a rangefinder type camera, I can keep my right eye open, since the camera blocks its view, and that helps me with eyestrain. Granted, I still generally shoot with my right eye, so that my face/nose doesn't touch anything.

Jul 06, 2012 at 04:43 PM
Toothwalker
• • •
p.1 #20 · Left or right?

Thanks for the reactions. I am right/left, and not a rare bird at all. The eyedness is stronger than the handedness; I can do many things with the left hand, but taking pictures with the right eye is very uncomfortable.

jcolwell wrote:
I'm right handed, left eyed.
It'll be interesting to see how this compares with a similar thread I posted in 2008.
Archive 2008 Left eye, right hand, or what? http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/632749

Thanks. I looked briefly for an existing thread, but did not find any. There was need for interpretation from my side, counting camera viewfinders and not rifles, counting the present state and not the history. This is what I extract. Numbers one and two have changed place:

Left-handed, left-eyed xx
Right-handed, right-eyed xxxxxxxxxxxx
Right-handed, left-eyed xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Left-handed, right-eyed xxxx
No preference (eye-wise) xxx

AhamB wrote:
Right-handed, left eyed. I can use my right eye, but it's not as easy and I see a quite different color balance, which is a bit disconcerting when changing from left to right while composing. Does anyone else have that difference in color balance? Edit: Apparently some people do: http://www.pixiq.com/article/the-white-balance-of-your-eyes

I noticed this post in the other thread. Personally I have had times when the vision with one eye was pink, but blamed it on an eye inflammation.

Jul 07, 2012 at 11:13 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password