1       2      
       end

Archive 2012 · Canon 500mm II shipped! *UPDATE* 600mmII shipped also

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Canon 500mm II shipped! *UPDATE* 600mmII shipped also

AGeoJO wrote:
I understand that. Then I would suggest to bring a Kenko 1.4X and tape the pin of that TC and you can use that in combo with your Canon 1,4X TC to get an effective 2X multiplier in a pinch for more semi-static target. That generic TC does weigh much and is small enough to stay within your light travel mode. Again the situation in Serengeti and Masai Mara, you have to stay on the path and you will find out that the action is mostly far, far away. You have to be really lucky to encounter action close to
...Show more

That could be good. I used to own the Kenko many years ago.
Which kenko 1.4x version has the best image quality? Would this combo yield better IQ than a taped Canon 2xIII?

Jul 06, 2012 at 07:33 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Canon 500mm II shipped! *UPDATE* 600mmII shipped also

Fred,
I taped my Canon 2X Mark III TC and it would not AF or only very sketchily using the 500mm Mark I on my 5D Mark III. I am not sure how the Canon 500mm Mark II will work though with the taped Canon 2X Mark III, if any. I got the feeling that it would behave similarly to the Mark I lens.

I compared the Canon 2X TC Mark II with the combo Canon 1.4X Mark II TC plus Kenko 1.4X TC and the combo was better than, the Canon 2X TC Mark II by itself. Acutally, Will (trenchmonkey) gave me the tip back then several years ago and I could confirm that to be the case. I am not sure how that combo compared to the 2X TC Mark III.

Jul 06, 2012 at 07:56 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Canon 500mm II shipped! *UPDATE* 600mmII shipped also

There are two Kenko 1.4x versions. One with 8-pins (Teleplus MC4) and another with 11-pins (Teleplus Pro 300)
The former does not need to be taped. There could be a difference in IQ between the two though since the Teleplus Pro 300 is about twice the MC4's price.

Jul 06, 2012 at 07:58 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Canon 500mm II shipped! *UPDATE* 600mmII shipped also

The Teleplus Pro 300 it is. I believe there is another designation after that, like a "DG" or so. I don't have the TC here with me but with mine, I have to tape the first 3 pins to get it to work. I leave the tape on there "permanently" and use that in combo with my 1.4X TC Mark III to get the effective 2X multiplier.

I saw that I made a typo in my previous post. What I meant was this TC does not weigh much and small enough to stay within your light travel mode. Sorry .

Jul 06, 2012 at 08:08 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Canon 500mm II shipped! *UPDATE* 600mmII shipped also

AGeoJO wrote:
The Teleplus Pro 300 it is. I believe there is another designation after that, like a "DG" or so. I don't have the TC here with me but with mine, I have to tape the first 3 pins to get it to work. I leave the tape on there "permanently" and use that in combo with my 1.4X TC Mark III to get the effective 2X multiplier.

I saw that I made a typo in my previous post. What I meant was this TC does not weigh much and small enough to stay within your light travel mode. Sorry .

Thanks for the info!

Jul 07, 2012 at 12:49 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Canon 500mm II shipped! *UPDATE* 600mmII shipped also

netexpress wrote:
Is the new 600 II worth twice the going price of a second hand version I on B&S?

It is about the price of the new 300II. Good deal if the weight is not a consideration.
Thanks for the images.
Post some next to the 500II when you have some time.

Jul 07, 2012 at 12:58 AM
Schlotkins
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Canon 500mm II shipped! *UPDATE* 600mmII shipped also

Does anyone have the 600 II that had the 500l? I am on the fence between the 500 II/600 II. I'm curious how handholding the 600 II compares to the 500l. They are the same weight but it would seem handholding the 600 II would be harder because it's longer and wider. On the other hand, I hear the II lenses have better balance.

Thanks
Chris

Jul 08, 2012 at 11:55 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Canon 500mm II shipped! *UPDATE* 600mmII shipped also

Although the mk II is doing better it's only a small gap between the two. Slightly better contrast and sharpness with a hair more detail. mk I is still great lens and indeed is the mk II worth 2x as much? 1.35kg lighter and 1m smaller mfd with 2 stop better IS is a lot of improvement and means the 600 mk II is now basically the same specs as 500 mk I except for length.

Jul 08, 2012 at 05:39 PM
speedmaster20d
• • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Canon 500mm II shipped! *UPDATE* 600mmII shipped also

The 600 MKII is very nice to handhold, it feels better balanced than 500 MKI IMO. This is a bit early to tell but I have this impression that it focuses a bit faster with the TC compared to the old 500 as well.

Jul 09, 2012 at 02:55 AM
Jim McCann
• • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Canon 500mm II shipped! *UPDATE* 600mmII shipped also

Disclaimer: Before recieving my 500 a few days ago, I've never hand held a "Big White" lens. In the film days you just didn't do that.

Dry fly fishing for arctic grayling got in the way of photography last evening, but on the way home from the river I did stop and photograph several moose with the handheld 500. Seemed odd to be doing so, but from what I viewed on the LCD screen, this lens is awesome. For the price, it damn well better be! A much younger man than I with a background of firearms shooting should be able to use these big lenses to great advantage.

Jim

Jul 12, 2012 at 12:27 PM
Jim McCann
• • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Canon 500mm II shipped! *UPDATE* 600mmII shipped also

Here's a cropped shot of a moose I photographed with the handheld 500 last evening after the sunlight slipped down below the treeline. It was done with my 5D III at 800 ISO.

Jul 12, 2012 at 07:10 PM
big country
• • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Canon 500mm II shipped! *UPDATE* 600mmII shipped also

If anyone is looking for a 500 ii I know where one is from authorized canon USA dealer.

Aug 01, 2012 at 07:14 AM
Don12x20

p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Canon 500mm II shipped! *UPDATE* 600mmII shipped also

speedmaster20d wrote:
The 600 MKII is very nice to handhold, it feels better balanced than 500 MKI IMO. This is a bit early to tell but I have this impression that it focuses a bit faster with the TC compared to the old 500 as well.

Arash
I also have that impression - seems like 600(II)+Tc1.4 autofocuses just a litte faster than 500(I)+1.4 (for TC1.4 II. I'll have to try the III this weekend if the birds cooperate).

Aug 01, 2012 at 11:10 PM
jaybird555
• • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Canon 500mm II shipped! *UPDATE* 600mmII shipped also

Fred Miranda wrote:
When I get this lens, I am going to Africa!

Fred, are you going to need help with your luggage...

Aug 02, 2012 at 06:52 AM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.