Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       end
  

Archive 2012 · Happy Birthday present...D800
  
 
eyelaser
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Happy Birthday present...D800


Well it is the USA's birthday and what better way to celebrate than with a new body....but rather than spend hours at the gym I just ordered from Norman Camera .
I had a great way of convincing myself that this purchase made sense. I have some Nikon stuff from my dark period in 2009 including a 200-400 and 70-200 2.8 so I got to thinking. When Canon's 200-400 comes out it will be about $11k but a Nikon D800 is $8k less (you can go broke saving all that money ). So I decided to pull the trigger with the thought that I could couple it with the Nikon version....Ok, I convinced myself, did I convince any of you
There really is a learning curve coming from Canon...most everything is in a totally different place but in general it is a really fine camera that really requires you have good technique to get the most out of it. Now there is a 450+ page manual...I'll wait for the movie to come out..
I started playing around with it and used a bean bag from the car, a tripod at home and some hand held shots with a 300 F4 that I also have but is balky.
I have a long long way to go and really want to try this out on some big animals as that is my prime interest but all the damn eles and lions have left the wilds of NJ long ago.
I hope the read was worth it

Eric

1






2






3






4






5








Jul 04, 2012 at 09:53 PM
angel manguel
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Happy Birthday present...D800


Welcome to the world of the enlightened!

I also like your argument/logic!!

Nice images too! See that didn't hurt at all did it?

Alan



Jul 04, 2012 at 10:05 PM
Conrad Tan
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Happy Birthday present...D800


Hey hey! Congrats Eric! Nice images man. Even nicer argument for the purchase by the way

Happy Birthday bro!



Jul 04, 2012 at 10:19 PM
CDaescher
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · Happy Birthday present...D800


Nice set already, Eric.
I think having a 200-400 f4 and 70-200 f2.8 laying around makes perfect sense the get a camera for it.
Big congrats on the new toy.
Chris



Jul 04, 2012 at 10:36 PM
kmunroe
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · Happy Birthday present...D800


nice set Eric.. congrats on the new body


Jul 04, 2012 at 10:48 PM
Shasoc
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · Happy Birthday present...D800


Definitely worth to get it, Eric. Plus, having already some nice lenses makes a lot of sense.
Enjoy your new toy
Socrate



Jul 04, 2012 at 10:51 PM
jamach
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · Happy Birthday present...D800


very good, my time will come.........enjoy yours
I like that oriole in #4

Joe



Jul 04, 2012 at 11:02 PM
morris
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · Happy Birthday present...D800


These look good Eric. Having used that 200-400 VR of yours I feel you picked up the wrong lens to do these tests. Enjoy the D800!

Morris



Jul 04, 2012 at 11:40 PM
Charlie Shugart
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · Happy Birthday present...D800


Good stuff, Eric.
Your rationalization (oh- I mean cool logic) makes perfect sense.
AND it helps me to understand why my 4X zoom P&S isn't the best for bird images .
Charlie



Jul 05, 2012 at 12:19 AM
harshaj1
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · Happy Birthday present...D800


I think you are nuts. Just kidding. I like mine a lot. It is a great landscape camera for sure.
Great est shots Eric.
harsha



Jul 05, 2012 at 12:34 AM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



birdied
Online
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · Happy Birthday present...D800


Congratulations Eric !! My kind of logic Great images by the way.

Birdie




Jul 05, 2012 at 12:38 AM
surfnron
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · Happy Birthday present...D800


Please tell me it ain't so Eric... The dark side?? Well, these are nice shots anyway, but don't come whining to me when you miss that great shot... ~ Ron


Jul 05, 2012 at 12:41 AM
Tim Kuhn
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · Happy Birthday present...D800


Funny, I was just on the phone with Norman Camera on Friday. I didn't order a Nikon body........ nuf said.

Congrats on the new toy, oh excuse me, tool of the trade

Super set to start out with Eric. I see the Goldy in hanging his head in shame with you That or he sees your wife coming with the skillet and he can't bear to watch The first isn't a "great" photo but it sure gets my vote for the super character you captured. That one really makes me smile.

Tim



Jul 05, 2012 at 01:20 AM
Karl Witt
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · Happy Birthday present...D800


You know the true test in any new piece of photo gear is in the 'floral proofing' of it don't you?

So which are you sticking with?

Karl



Jul 05, 2012 at 04:28 AM
Jim Bau
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #15 · Happy Birthday present...D800


Congrats on the birthday present to yourself Eric! Another one drinks the German koolaid!


Jul 05, 2012 at 07:49 AM
eyelaser
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #16 · Happy Birthday present...D800


angel manguel wrote:
Welcome to the world of the enlightened!

I also like your argument/logic!!

Nice images too! See that didn't hurt at all did it?

Alan

Thanks Alan...no it didn't hurt a bit...although it's not the end of the billing cycle yet...then it may hurt!
Eric



Jul 05, 2012 at 11:49 AM
eyelaser
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #17 · Happy Birthday present...D800


Conrad Tan wrote:
Hey hey! Congrats Eric! Nice images man. Even nicer argument for the purchase by the way

Happy Birthday bro!

Thanks Conrad...you know it was your country's birthday too so you were entitled to a present
Eric



Jul 05, 2012 at 11:50 AM
eyelaser
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #18 · Happy Birthday present...D800


CDaescher wrote:
Nice set already, Eric.
I think having a 200-400 f4 and 70-200 f2.8 laying around makes perfect sense the get a camera for it.
Big congrats on the new toy.
Chris

Thanks Chris...I'm just hoping it's not too much camera for my style of shooting and being the pixel peeper I have become.
Eric



Jul 05, 2012 at 11:51 AM
eyelaser
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #19 · Happy Birthday present...D800


kmunroe wrote:
nice set Eric.. congrats on the new body

Thanks Ken...I hope buyers remorse doesn't kick in soon...we'll see.
Eric



Jul 05, 2012 at 11:52 AM
eyelaser
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #20 · Happy Birthday present...D800


Shasoc wrote:
Definitely worth to get it, Eric. Plus, having already some nice lenses makes a lot of sense.
Enjoy your new toy
Socrate

Thanks Socrate...now I just have to have some self restraint when Canon's version comes out...not sure how I am going to spin that one
Eric



Jul 05, 2012 at 11:53 AM
1
       2       end




FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password