Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       3       4       end
  

Archive 2012 · The Canon 50 f/1.2L
  
 
Jefferson
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · The Canon 50 f/1.2L


After reading many discussions on the good…the bad…and the ugly of the Canon 50 f/1.2L over several years now, I and my IPA have come to the conclusion that the main problem, except in a normal, expected (maybe .01 %) rate of failure, just my number,…which would show on a forum dedicated to photography at a much, much higher rate…is due to the most part…

Operator Error…Think I’ll get one for use on a Full Frame…refurbished by Canon of course...

Jefferson



Jul 03, 2012 at 02:51 AM
mttran
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · The Canon 50 f/1.2L


Don't say out loud your thinking. Some will hang you high...real high i love my 50L


Jul 03, 2012 at 03:21 AM
Jefferson
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · The Canon 50 f/1.2L


...already got rope marks, a few more won't make much matter

Fell free to post your examples to express your point of view...no nudes unless approved by me...and maybe Fred



Jul 03, 2012 at 03:29 AM
Tenn.Jer
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · The Canon 50 f/1.2L


I love mine.

(egads, what a huge dust spot I just noticed! )




Last summer

  Canon EOS-1D Mark IV    EF50mm f/1.2L USM lens    50mm    f/1.2    1/2000s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  






Last week; f/4 because I needed more DOF this time...

  Canon EOS 5D Mark II    EF50mm f/1.2L USM lens    50mm    f/4.0    1/800s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  




Jul 03, 2012 at 04:11 AM
mttran
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · The Canon 50 f/1.2L


Jerry, are they the same in both images or 1st and 2nd generation? they look lovely. Mine was a week old



Edited on Oct 11, 2012 at 06:24 PM · View previous versions



Jul 03, 2012 at 04:19 AM
Jefferson
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · The Canon 50 f/1.2L





Jul 03, 2012 at 04:23 AM
969Mike
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · The Canon 50 f/1.2L


Same thinking here. Love it!


Jul 03, 2012 at 05:03 AM
RogerC11
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · The Canon 50 f/1.2L


Jefferson, how about posting some pics of that dog in your avatar?


Jul 03, 2012 at 05:11 AM
saneproduction
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · The Canon 50 f/1.2L


My favorite lens, even more than the 35L, 85L II and 200 1.8L


Jul 03, 2012 at 05:15 AM
Jefferson
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · The Canon 50 f/1.2L


RogerC11 wrote:
Jefferson, how about posting some pics of that dog in your avatar?


That's Luke...found him sitting in the road about three years ago...he fit in the palm of my hand...he was 3/4s starved... now 100+ lbs and eats and sleeps better than most folks in this world...my best friend

I'll ask him about the shots...



Jul 03, 2012 at 05:29 AM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



skasol
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · The Canon 50 f/1.2L


I too love my 50L. it's sharp as it can be. I like it as an all around lens. no problems with mine.


Jul 03, 2012 at 06:00 AM
dehowie
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · The Canon 50 f/1.2L


Great lens love mine especially now with the new AF module giving unparalleled accuracy.
You won't regret it one bit..

http://www.vortexaviationphotography.com/Other/The-Hounds/i-TBk4KHZ/0/L/20120522-IMG0194-L.jpg

http://www.vortexaviationphotography.com/Photography-around-the-Globe/Japan-2012/i-ZSxH6jM/1/L/20120620-IMG0604-3-L.jpg
http://www.vortexaviationphotography.com/Photography-around-the-Globe/Japan-2012/i-9kfLMJJ/3/L/20120623-IMG1058-L.jpg

Beautiful dog photos above and he young puppy photo of Mttrans shows the dreamy bokeh I love so much.






Jul 03, 2012 at 06:32 AM
PhilDrinkwater
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · The Canon 50 f/1.2L


Wicked lens. One of the most accurate on my 5dii and 5diii.


Jul 03, 2012 at 08:44 AM
lexvo
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · The Canon 50 f/1.2L


After I MA'd it on my 5DII the AF is very accurate. Wide open, sharpness is very usable.
Stopped down, sharpness is just great.



Jul 03, 2012 at 10:13 AM
PhilDrinkwater
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · The Canon 50 f/1.2L


lexvo wrote:
After I MA'd it on my 5DII the AF is very accurate. Wide open, sharpness is very usable.
Stopped down, sharpness is just great.


TBH I don't think it's great stopped down. It's worse than the 50mm 1.4 at f4 and f8 for example:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=403&Camera=453&Sample=0&FLI=0&API=6&LensComp=115&CameraComp=453&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=5

.. and only about the same as the 24-70 at f8. I personally only really recommend it if you're going to shoot at <f2 a lot... That's what it was designed for



Jul 03, 2012 at 10:28 AM
dehowie
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · The Canon 50 f/1.2L


Not sure where that comes from my copy is razor razor sharp and murders my 24-70 at every F stop.



Jul 03, 2012 at 11:03 AM
garyvot
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · The Canon 50 f/1.2L


PhilDrinkwater wrote:
TBH I don't think it's great stopped down. It's worse than the 50mm 1.4 at f4 and f8 for example:
.. and only about the same as the 24-70 at f8. I personally only really recommend it if you're going to shoot at <f2 a lot... That's what it was designed for


I think their copy was broken.



Jul 03, 2012 at 02:04 PM
lexvo
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · The Canon 50 f/1.2L


PhilDrinkwater wrote:
TBH I don't think it's great stopped down. It's worse than the 50mm 1.4 at f4 and f8 for example:


The 50/1.4 is a great performer also when stopped down. However, I think my 50/1.2 is at least as good as my 50/1.4. As a matter of fact, my 50/1.2 comes really close to my 135/2.

I agree that being able to shoot at f/1.2 is one of the reasons to buy this lens. Another reason for me was build quality.






Jul 03, 2012 at 02:57 PM
Gochugogi
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · The Canon 50 f/1.2L


garyvot wrote:
I think their copy was broken.


Lots of copy variation obviously as experiences are all over the place. However, my 50 1.2L is a little sharper than both my 50 1.4 and 50 1.8 from F2.8 to F5.6. At F8 I couldn't see much difference. From F1.4 to F2.8 the 50L was significantly sharper. Perhaps my 50 1.4/1.8 were poor copies but they were horrid wide open until F 2.8. The only significantly sharper 50 I've owned is the EF 50 2.5 and it's sharp from edge to edge at any aperture.



Jul 03, 2012 at 06:31 PM
Jefferson
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · The Canon 50 f/1.2L


RogerC11 wrote:
Jefferson, how about posting some pics of that dog in your avatar?



Not with a 50mm...Luke...




























Jul 04, 2012 at 04:51 AM
1
       2       3       4       end




FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       3       4       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password