Deadline: August 20th noon UTC/GMT

WA Rules ยท Current entries

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · #508 The Sixties

relms
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · #508 The Sixties

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to heaven, we were all going direct the other way." Charles Dickens might well have had some insight into what was to come a century after he wrote those words. Ah, the Sixties... a time of exploration, experimentation, segregation, demonstration and hallucination. It was a time when we waged war, and demonstrated for peace. A time when we loved freely, and hated strongly. It was a time of fast cars, and drive-in movies; long hair and short skirts. But more than anything else, it was a time of musical magic, producing songs that refuse to step aside for the latest fad, standing the test of time and spanning generations... songs such as those on Atlantic Records' Super Hits Vol. 4.

Jul 01, 2012 at 10:22 PM
Oregon Gal
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · #508 The Sixties

Robert, I remember those musicians and listened to their music quite often. It brings back good memories, well done.

Jul 01, 2012 at 11:29 PM
svassh
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · #508 The Sixties

Nice lighting and love the added smoke, brings back another 60's memory.

Jul 02, 2012 at 08:06 AM
Strad
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · #508 The Sixties

It's certainly one of your signature brilliant shots, Robert. The light is perfect as is the composition. But, I don't get the significance of the smoke and the old record album. I was too busy with my own music practice and performances during the 60s to have heard any of the music you mention so it's quite possible I missed the tie-in.

Fond regards,

Endre

Jul 02, 2012 at 10:59 AM
relms
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · #508 The Sixties

Oregon Gal wrote:
Robert, I remember those musicians and listened to their music quite often. It brings back good memories, well done.

Thank you!

Jul 02, 2012 at 08:05 PM
relms
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · #508 The Sixties

svassh wrote:
Nice lighting and love the added smoke, brings back another 60's memory.

I understand.

Jul 02, 2012 at 08:06 PM
relms
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · #508 The Sixties

Strad wrote:
It's certainly one of your signature brilliant shots, Robert. The light is perfect as is the composition. But, I don't get the significance of the smoke and the old record album. I was too busy with my own music practice and performances during the 60s to have heard any of the music you mention so it's quite possible I missed the tie-in.

Fond regards,

Endre

Now, Endre, you are kidding, right? The assignment theme is Music. The old record album was released in the Sixties, arguably the most prolific decade for music in the last century. The smoke? Well, the smoke could be from a cigarette, because almost everyone smoked during the Sixties, or it could be from burning incense, also popular during the Sixties, but more than likely it was from neither. I am told that music took on an entirely different level of quality and intensity when accompanied by a little weed. I don't know for sure, but that is what I have been told.

Jul 02, 2012 at 08:21 PM
Travis Rhoads
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · #508 The Sixties

I love it, and I got the smoke reference, despite not having been around in the 60's. Music can always be amplified...just depends on how you chose to do it! Great image, I think the smoke is captured very nicely with great depth to it.

Robert, I am down in your neck of the woods this week, we have passed through Santa Rosa the last two nights on our way to dinner.

Jul 03, 2012 at 09:42 PM
relms
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · #508 The Sixties

Yeah, Travis, that is what my friends were doing back in the Sixties; they were amplifying the music. No electricity needed.

Enjoy your time at the beach, and thanks for commenting.

Robert

Jul 04, 2012 at 12:29 AM
Strad
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · #508 The Sixties

No, Robert, I wasn't kidding. Throughout the 60s I was either practicing (4 to 5 hours a day) or going to school. There certainly wasn't any time to listen to whatever popular music was being produced nor, honestly, did I have much interest in same. Now that you explain it, I understand, but that is only because I heard about such things much later. Thanks for the clarification.

Fond regards,

Endre

relms wrote:
Now, Endre, you are kidding, right? The assignment theme is Music. The old record album was released in the Sixties, arguably the most prolific decade for music in the last century. The smoke? Well, the smoke could be from a cigarette, because almost everyone smoked during the Sixties, or it could be from burning incense, also popular during the Sixties, but more than likely it was from neither. I am told that music took on an entirely different level of quality and intensity when accompanied by a little weed. I don't know for sure, but that is what I have
...Show more

Jul 04, 2012 at 10:55 AM

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.