Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5      
       7              248       249       end

OM-D & PEN Images

bobbytan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #1 · OM-D & PEN Images

Hrow wrote:
I do most of my major tonal and contrast corrections as a color image and then a pretty straight B&W conversion using Silver Efex. From there it is localized enhancements to specific details using Viveza and/or Color Efex filters. I tend to spend a lot of time on little things in the images and experiment till I get the look I want. Most of the time I could no more repeat what I did on a complex image than I could fly.

I've heard good things about Silver Efex. I have the whole Nik package but have not only used Viveza 2. I need to check on the Silver Efex tutorial.

Jul 24, 2012 at 03:51 PM
Jman13
• • • • •
p.6 #2 · OM-D & PEN Images

I figured it was a Silver Efex conversion (I've never gotten B&W conversions that can approach what you've done there without using Silver Efex). I've been using Silver Efex 2 for a while now, and it has dramatically increased the quality of my B&W conversions. I too use it in conjunction with Color Efex 4 quite often. Great to layer the two from time to time.

Jul 24, 2012 at 04:32 PM
Hrow
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #3 · OM-D & PEN Images

Color Efex 4 crashes my Mac quite consistently so I am using V3. Many long e-mails back and forth with their tech support to no avail. Hopefully it will work better with Apple's OS upgrade but I'm not counting on it.

Booby, no need to spend much time with the tutorials. Its pretty straight forward and from the quality of your images I'm sure you already possess the knowledge and skills to make it sing.

Jul 24, 2012 at 05:35 PM
cputeq
• • • •
p.6 #4 · OM-D & PEN Images

+1 for silver efex. Great software, and it really shines when you get into control point editing instead of using globals for everything.

Hrow, you editing workflow sounds a lot like mine -- flex the file until I find something I like...which I probably cannot duplicate later

Nice shots all. I am considering a partial move to the OMD after Sept, and these images and thoughts sure help.

Jul 24, 2012 at 06:00 PM
Hrow
• • • • •
p.6 #5 · OM-D & PEN Images

On the camera's first outing as a travel cam. Shot in a drizzle Panny 7-14 @12mm.

Jul 24, 2012 at 10:35 PM
JeffG
• • •
p.6 #6 · OM-D & PEN Images

Hrow wrote:
On the camera's first outing as a travel cam. Shot in a drizzle Panny 7-14 @12mm.

although i think the HDR was a tad overdone and unnatural on the edges, your composition and color are fantastic. well done

Jul 25, 2012 at 05:03 AM
Hrow
• • • • •
p.6 #7 · OM-D & PEN Images

Its not HDR. It is a single file processed with pretty standard tools in an attempt to see how much room a dull file had to increase contrast before it went to crap. What's interesting to me is that as the DR of cameras increases there is a tendency to hit the point at which a file looks manipulated. In this case, it goes from dull to looking HDR with no useful intermediate point.

Noticed the same thing with a D800 file from the same trip. Shoot in RAW at ISO 100, the file looks like it has recorded the full range of DR (14 stops) and the simple act of applying minimal sharpening makes it look HDR. Interesting conundrum to ponder.

Jul 25, 2012 at 11:56 AM
kidigital
• • • •
p.6 #8 · OM-D & PEN Images

A few recent images with the OMD.

Jul 25, 2012 at 12:06 PM
cputeq
• • • •
p.6 #9 · OM-D & PEN Images

What (if anything) are you guys using for a fast 35mm equiv? I'm strongly (as in, almost a done deal) considering the move to an OM-D from my DSLRs, but the lack of a fast 35mm I find frankly amazing.

I know Voigtlander has one, but it looks pretty darn large. Does the Panny 20mm almost suffice?

Jul 25, 2012 at 07:36 PM
Jman13
• • • • •
p.6 #10 · OM-D & PEN Images

Obviously the Panny 20 is a little narrower than 35mm, but it's a very good lens. Your only option for a fast 35mm equivalent right now is the Voigtlander 17.5 f/0.95. As you said, it's a rather large lens (though still smaller than something like the Canon 35L...it's 1/4" shorter and 0.6" narrower, while weighing 40g less than the 35L), but it's what we've got right now. You should be able to get good subject separation, and it's got a nice look, though it's got a fair amount of CA and fringing wide open...but heck, it's f/0.95!

Jul 25, 2012 at 07:48 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.6 #11 · OM-D & PEN Images

The Panny 20mm I owned for a while didn't feel at all like a 35mm equiv lens to me, more like a 50mm.

Some people seem to really like the Oly 17 even though it gets pretty much panned in reviews.

http://www.mu-43.com/f38/rekindled-my-love-oly-17-mm-2-8-a-23869/index3.html

The Sigma 19mm F2.8 might work as well but again, it's a bit narrower than 35mm.

Jul 25, 2012 at 08:02 PM
you2
• • •
p.6 #12 · OM-D & PEN Images

Well olympus returned the camera; so repair was pretty fast. There was not much of an explanation with the camera but by phone they said they replaced the shutter. I took 4 sample pictures; exposure is better; rawtherapee suggest maybe 0.5 to 1.5 ev under exposed but on dpreview forums some else noticed similar behavior (apparently adobe lr and olympus software consider that normal; I really didn't understand the explanation).

So if nothing else kudos for olympus for the fast turn around. Though I do find it amusing that they have spare shutters but no cameras

Jul 25, 2012 at 11:29 PM
Delatant
• •
p.6 #13 · OM-D & PEN Images

You2 - Yes congrats on the fast turn around. I still have camera with the problem - the local store has ordered me another one and just going to swap it out - but you have sent your camera in and got it fixed and returned to you before my store got any OMD's in - black or silver - way to go!! Anxious to see some fast shutter speed (2000+) pictures with it now!!!

Jul 26, 2012 at 04:41 PM
deadwolfbones
• • • •
p.6 #14 · OM-D & PEN Images

Went for a hike yesterday with the OM-D:

Jul 27, 2012 at 05:24 AM
JeffG
• • •
p.6 #15 · OM-D & PEN Images

deadwolfbones wrote:
Went for a hike yesterday with the OM-D:

great stuff. what lens?

Jul 27, 2012 at 05:47 AM
deadwolfbones
• • • •
p.6 #16 · OM-D & PEN Images

20/1.7 and 12/2.

Jul 27, 2012 at 06:27 AM
cputeq
• • • •
p.6 #17 · OM-D & PEN Images

Lovely area, Deadwolf.

Well, bit the bullet - just snagged a black (I know, wanted silver, but hard to find) OMD, 25mm Panny and 45mm Oly from the board here. Can't wait! (and now I gotta sell my barely-used Canon stuff!)

I'm really debating on the 12/2. No doubt an outstanding lens, but I'm really more of a 35mm FOV guy. I have my brother-in-law's wedding to shoot in Sept (I know, I'm going to do it using m43 - scary but whatever, I told them i'm not a pro) and I guess I'll break down and get the 12/2 and just crop to 35mm FOV (won't be buying a slower lens than f2).

I'm not really much of a 50mm FOV guy, but the Pan-Leica 25mm just renders beautifully, so I HAD to get it

Jul 27, 2012 at 01:00 PM
RickPerry
• • •
p.6 #18 · OM-D & PEN Images

A great series Deadwolf!

Nice work,

Rick

Jul 27, 2012 at 01:34 PM
deadwolfbones
• • • •
p.6 #19 · OM-D & PEN Images

Thanks guys. I'm really pleased with the camera overall.

Jul 27, 2012 at 01:59 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.6 #20 · OM-D & PEN Images

cpu, get the 12/2, but maybe also get the Oly 17mm...

Jul 27, 2012 at 05:07 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password