Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              40      
       42              61       62       end

Archive 2012 · Summer photography with Canon equipment

PetKal
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.41 #1 · p.41 #1 · Summer photography with Canon equipment

Jerry, you got that dragon sharp enough despite unfavourable light direction on the bug. That is a tough shot to make/focus on sidewise, only god knows how you do it.
That indeed looks like a hot blue pixel although I've never seen them blue....mine are all white.

Great detail and exposure on the palm tree......do you notice more pixels of 50D ?

Aug 15, 2012 at 12:43 AM
n0b0
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.41 #2 · p.41 #2 · Summer photography with Canon equipment

@Geert Koning

Nice butterfly and dragonfly shots but you missed the focus on the eyes.

Aug 15, 2012 at 01:09 AM
onegreatcity
• • •
p.41 #3 · p.41 #3 · Summer photography with Canon equipment

Fishing on Lake Winnipeg. Canon 1D3 and 100-400L

Aug 15, 2012 at 01:11 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.41 #4 · p.41 #4 · Summer photography with Canon equipment

Peter, just having a few dozen shots today and a few hours review, it's really hard to tell if the extra 5MPs are giving me much. I've a dragon shot from my 40D with same lens taken 6 months ago and when I look at them side by side at 100% the 40D actually looks better noise wise and bokeh looks much smoother?

I just charged the battery, set everything to manual and shot. Didn't check anything or set anything like I usually do for my 40D. I really like the higher-res LCD tho, single shot center point AF was set and all were handheld. Much more testing to do, going to have a local camera shop or Canon do a sensor cleaning; I'm not able to. I'll check the lens for dust, pocket rocket the sensor 1st just to check before it goes in tho.

I picked up a round hand grip; 6x1.5", kinda like the butt end of a pool cue in size. It's got a neoprene cover that really helps, has good bit of stickiness for grip, it screws into the tripod socket and gives me pretty good leverage. I'm also experimenting with a hand-wrist strap in combo with the grip, both give be a good bit of support, so much so that I may remove the 70-200's tripod collar/foot as it gets in the way now; it was helpful before. I'll try this combo out with the 300, then add the 1.4x to them. If this combo works I'll have a lot more freedom to move about, unlike when stuck with a mono or tripod

I also used this combo with a G12 and am completely stoked, they all work perfect together with my strength level down a bit. Haven't got out to shoot with it much but that will soon change!

My lady and I have been reviewing images from the 7D and 5D3, those posted here on FM and a few Jpegs sent to me by a FMer (thank you Ralph) from his 5D2 an 24-105L, and it's decided...you are correct...a 5D3 is in my/our future

It was hot this afternoon, 90f+, shot for 30mins and went back into the AirCon...it was fun getting out to shoot, breathe our fine smoggy SoCal haze! Near four hours sitting up today and my backside showed no signs of wear, so I'm hoping for an earlier start tomorrow...

Jerry

PS. Just checked the exif data on my two dragon shots, 40D image was taken at ISO 200, the 50D at ISO 2500, no wonder the additional noise, graininess...more shooting needs be done that's for sure. The 50D image doesn't look so bad now, perhaps those extra 5MPs do help and if there's only one hot pixel that can be handled in post

Aug 15, 2012 at 01:27 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.41 #5 · p.41 #5 · Summer photography with Canon equipment

Yes, Jerry, I strongly suspect 5DMkIII has better IQ as well as ISO capability than 7D.
I know 5DIII has better AF than 7D.....no contest there.

It is remarkable how small accessories can improve our comfort, enjoyment and effectiveness of photography we do. I am thinking about your new handgrip as well as the Canon lens strap you got for my 800L......what a difference there.

We've had a few rainy days but tomorrow morning it looks like we'll have some sunshine so I shall go to a pond to get me some herons or egrets......I hope.

Aug 15, 2012 at 01:53 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.41 #6 · p.41 #6 · Summer photography with Canon equipment

If my morning goes well perhaps I'll bag a duck or two, maybe even a goose/swan...happy heron and egret hunting.

BTW, I finally got around to using the split strap a bit more and actually like it better than my Domke straps. The connectors at the camera lugs are material with a leather like fastener unlike the metal fasteners of the Domke...so no scratches on the body. The heavy plastic fasteners can be positioned way up the strap, out of the way and when doing so give a good 8" or more in length which is very helpful!

Indeed sometimes those little bits n pieces do really help improve comfort...make them gears seem to disappear!

Aug 15, 2012 at 02:05 AM
Garylv
• • •
p.41 #7 · p.41 #7 · Summer photography with Canon equipment

Summer usually means Surfing in So California, even if it's a bit overcast in the mornings. A shot from the US Open just over a week ago.

Aug 15, 2012 at 02:21 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.41 #8 · p.41 #8 · Summer photography with Canon equipment

@ Gary...envy, envy, envy...I've missed the OP Pro/US Open the last 4 yrs and was hoping to get there this July but did not, great image, looks like decent surf!

What cam/lens did you use and where were you shooting from; the stands, pier, under the pier? Will prep for location later this year...thanks, Jerry

Aug 15, 2012 at 02:31 AM
Garylv
• • •
p.41 #9 · p.41 #9 · Summer photography with Canon equipment

This was standing in the water under the pier with waves coming in about waist deep, quickly lifting the camera up at times to keep it dry. It's the 7D, Canon 300 f2.8 IS with Canon 1.4x attached. I also took photos with the 2x on there, posted in the Sports Corner here.

It was a great time! You have to go. Great surfing, beautiful girls. What more could you want?

Aug 15, 2012 at 02:36 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.41 #10 · p.41 #10 · Summer photography with Canon equipment

Great action shot, Gary. It has a certain "intimacy" and "presence there" about it that long distance telephoto shots can never have.

Aug 15, 2012 at 02:46 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Garylv
• • •
p.41 #11 · p.41 #11 · Summer photography with Canon equipment

PetKal wrote:
Great action shot, Gary. It has a certain "intimacy" and "presence there" about it that long distance telephoto shots can never have.

Thanks so much. I like the more close up shots too since we don't usually get the large, scenic waves coming into the So CA beaches. Sometimes, but not too often. At times they were fairly good during the Open, but a lot of flat water and waiting around too.

Aug 15, 2012 at 02:59 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.41 #12 · p.41 #12 · Summer photography with Canon equipment

Here's some young duck with monopod mounted 1DsMkII + 800L.
(I have always liked my 1DsMkII for nature photography although experts were telling me that 1DsMkII wasn't good for birds.........because it was FF, had poor "reach" and only 3FPS. )

Edited on Aug 16, 2012 at 12:12 AM · View previous versions

Aug 15, 2012 at 06:41 PM
John_T
• • • •
p.41 #13 · p.41 #13 · Summer photography with Canon equipment

Never seen an expert,
Hope to never see one,
But I can tell you anyhow,
I'd rather see than be one.

Aug 15, 2012 at 06:48 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.41 #14 · p.41 #14 · Summer photography with Canon equipment

A clever ditty, John.

Aug 15, 2012 at 06:53 PM
eskimochaos
• • •
p.41 #15 · p.41 #15 · Summer photography with Canon equipment

Peter, you always share fine images but the IQ and color of those are fantastic.

-Will

Aug 15, 2012 at 06:59 PM
John_T
• • • •
p.41 #16 · p.41 #16 · Summer photography with Canon equipment

I never saw a purple cow.
I never hope to see one.
But I can tell you anyhow
I'd rather see than be one.

- Gelett Burgess, 1895

Aug 15, 2012 at 07:04 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.41 #17 · p.41 #17 · Summer photography with Canon equipment

^^^^^

Thank you, Will.

Here's monopod mounted 1DsMkII + 800L again doing some long range shots: the same bird but two different/extreme environments/light conditions: #1 backlit, #2 shade.
Rather than trying to fake it in photoshop, I just went along with the light. For instance, what would be the point of trying to turn a sunny clearing in the marsh into something else ?

#3 and #4 were intended as environmental shots.

Edited on Aug 16, 2012 at 12:12 AM · View previous versions

Aug 15, 2012 at 07:50 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.41 #18 · p.41 #18 · Summer photography with Canon equipment

No luck getting to the local duck pond today, my ride vanished, so thought I'd show y'all where my maters and other goodies are grown, where those red dragons tend to fly about and a 2nd shot of where those elusive maters are later prepped/consumed

Here's a bit of our backyard summer container garden and our modest kitchen, shot handheld late morning with a 50D and 10-22mm. Minor fiddling in Lightroom v3.6 to lower the harsh outdoor light, no distortion correction...

Canon EOS 50D    EF-S10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM lens    10mm    f/3.5    1/250s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS 50D    EF-S10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM lens    10mm    f/3.5    1/60s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Aug 15, 2012 at 10:17 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.41 #19 · p.41 #19 · Summer photography with Canon equipment

Jerry, that is a clever theme: the produce growing area and then the produce preparation facility. (Nothing "modest" about that kitchen according to my standards )
I like very much the subdued light and colour tones you have done in the kitchen image. Great colour tone and mood.

There is always another day for going to the marsh, but we've got to eat every day.

Aug 15, 2012 at 10:35 PM
onegreatcity
• • •
p.41 #20 · p.41 #20 · Summer photography with Canon equipment

PetKal wrote:
(Nothing "modest" about that kitchen according to my standards )

+1. I can't show that photo to my wife as our kitchen is hopelessly out of fashion and function! I like the last, colourful duck Peter, very nice.

Aug 15, 2012 at 10:41 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password