Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              6      
       end

Archive 2012 · topics you wish would die... :)

PetKal
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.7 #1 · p.7 #1 · topics you wish would die... :)

Monito wrote:
Currently the most common intarwebz spelling error is:

"your"

when the pronoun-verb combination

"you're"

is required.

No way, Jose ..........it must be "complement" vs. "compliment" on this forum.....strangely enough, it is not Europeans who screw that up......it is them native speakers of English (ir)regardless of their education level, because spoken N. American English is highly garbled up and approximate....a perfect phonetic trap.

Jul 07, 2012 at 04:44 PM
racoll
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.7 #2 · p.7 #2 · topics you wish would die... :)

omarlyn wrote:
Related to the above...Kirk vs Picard!

Omar

Seriously? Kirk, of course. Picard is a close 2nd though. As far as threads that should die, how about the endless "7D vs. 5DII" threads...

Andy

Jul 07, 2012 at 07:41 PM
RDKirk
• • • • •
p.7 #3 · p.7 #3 · topics you wish would die... :)

PetKal wrote:
No way, Jose ..........it must be "complement" vs. "compliment" on this forum.....strangely enough, it is not Europeans who screw that up......it is them native speakers of English (ir)regardless of their education level, because spoken N. American English is highly garbled up and approximate....a perfect phonetic trap.

Well, because of my regional accent, I accept the fact that it's hard for me even to hear the difference between "pen" and "pin," and much harder to pronounce the difference (although I do successfully refrain from turning either into a two-syllable word). Even I, however, can always hear and even pronounce the difference between "compliment" and "complement." I suspect the actual reason it's used incorrectly in writing is because people don't know the difference, not because they can't pronounce it.

My daughter's eighth-grade English teacher told her class--very seriously--that comma placement depended upon where you took a breath in the sentence.

Jul 08, 2012 at 05:39 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.7 #4 · p.7 #4 · topics you wish would die... :)

PetKal wrote:
...spoken N. American English is highly garbled up and approximate....a perfect phonetic trap.

Is spoken British English any better? I was listening to some old Beatles music the other day, and I had to listen to "I saw a film today, oh boy" being sung by John Lennon as "I soar a film today" -- or maybe it was "I sore a film today."

Jul 08, 2012 at 06:20 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.7 #5 · p.7 #5 · topics you wish would die... :)

"Two great nations, separated by a common language."

Jul 08, 2012 at 06:29 PM
panicatnabisco
• •
p.7 #6 · p.7 #6 · topics you wish would die... :)

People that cant make a decision for themselves

"Hey guys, I want to buy an X camera. should I:

1. Sell lens A and B with camera c to get camera X
2. Keep lens A, sell B and camera c then save up for 2 years for camera X
3. Sell camera c, keep B and sell A, sell my bike and get the camera X"

then later chimes in the thread with a completely different camera purchase. Those threads should be marked as 'Wishy washy camera purchase fantasies' so people dont need to waste time and bandwidth on them

oh yeah, and paranoid people that think that a camera manufacture have personal vendettas against their own customer base

Jul 09, 2012 at 03:34 PM
RDKirk
• • • • •
p.7 #7 · p.7 #7 · topics you wish would die... :)

oh yeah, and paranoid people that think that a camera manufacture have personal vendettas against their own customer base

This is a corollary of the people who believe that the choices they want are entitlements, denied only out of manufacture's sheer malice and/or market stupidity.

Jul 09, 2012 at 05:37 PM
digitalbug30d
• • • •
p.7 #8 · p.7 #8 · topics you wish would die... :)

RDKirk wrote:
This is a corollary of the people who believe that the choices they want are entitlements, denied only out of manufacture's sheer malice and/or market stupidity.

yeah like this auto ISO crap... I mean really...

Jul 09, 2012 at 06:45 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.7 #9 · p.7 #9 · topics you wish would die... :)

RDKirk wrote:

digitalbug30d wrote:
yeah like this auto ISO crap... I mean really...

...in Manual mode, no less.

Jul 09, 2012 at 06:48 PM
digitalbug30d
• • • •
p.7 #10 · p.7 #10 · topics you wish would die... :)

people wont be happy until the camera is linked to your mind but still wont have auto-ISO in "M" mode

Jul 09, 2012 at 06:55 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.7 #11 · p.7 #11 · topics you wish would die... :)

When you have three parameters, you actually need 8 modes. For shutterspeed (S), aperture (A), and ISO (I) you need:

1) full Manual: manually set all three: MS, MA, MI.

2) Ordinary Av: AS, MA, MI

3) Ordinary Tv: MS, AA, MI

4) Ordinary Auto-ISO: MS, MA, AI.

5) Ordinary Program: AS, AA, MI

6) AS, MA, AI

7) MS, AA, AI

8) Green box mode: AS, AA, AI

Jul 09, 2012 at 07:15 PM
digitalbug30d
• • • •
p.7 #12 · p.7 #12 · topics you wish would die... :)

still not convinced the real need of Auto-ISO in 'M' mode this is why its called "Manual"

Jul 09, 2012 at 07:34 PM
jerrykur
• • • •
p.7 #13 · p.7 #13 · topics you wish would die... :)

I hate the usage of "peaked" when it should be "piqued" as in "The Canon 5DMK3 has piqued my interest".

Jul 09, 2012 at 07:39 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.7 #14 · p.7 #14 · topics you wish would die... :)

jerrykur wrote:
I hate the usage of "peaked" when it should be "piqued" as in "The Canon 5DMK3 has piqued my interest".

Me too, but that assumes that most people actually know how to select the appropriate word, even before they have to figure out how to spell it...

Jul 09, 2012 at 07:45 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.7 #15 · p.7 #15 · topics you wish would die... :)

Monito wrote:
When you have three parameters, you actually need 8 modes. For shutterspeed (S), aperture (A), and ISO (I) you need:

1) full Manual: manually set all three: MS, MA, MI.

2) Ordinary Av: AS, MA, MI

3) Ordinary Tv: MS, AA, MI

4) Ordinary Auto-ISO: MS, MA, AI.

5) Ordinary Program: AS, AA, MI

6) AS, MA, AI

7) MS, AA, AI

8) Green box mode: AS, AA, AI

I'm good with three; M, Av and Tv. I get confused when I have to add the AF setup options...

Jul 09, 2012 at 07:48 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.7 #16 · p.7 #16 · topics you wish would die... :)

jcolwell wrote:
I'm good with three; M, Av and Tv. I get confused when I have to add the AF setup options...

M and Av for me too. In fact, since most of my shooting is done in M mode, it takes me some time to start using the dials correctly in the Av mode.
I usually have no time for complex camera operations on the fly, the simpler the better.

Auto ISO, highlite priority, safety shift etc......I have no use for any of that.

Jul 09, 2012 at 09:05 PM
crwoo
• •
p.7 #17 · p.7 #17 · topics you wish would die... :)

d800 VS 5dIII

Jul 11, 2012 at 04:40 PM
abqnmusa
• • • •
p.7 #18 · p.7 #18 · topics you wish would die... :)

arguing about camera x vs camera y
forget the hardware argument and talk about photography technique, making the best of any camera, etc.

Jul 11, 2012 at 04:46 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.