Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

Archive 2012 · Clients disappointed that I wasn't a woman.

tonyhart
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Clients disappointed that I wasn't a woman.

This is why I spend hours working on my feminine side. ((My left (as you look at me) in case you're wondering))

Seriously, to each their own, if it's important to her, then not much you can do about it, but I think it's a stupid thing to quibble over.

Jun 27, 2012 at 10:45 AM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Clients disappointed that I wasn't a woman.

Ian Ivey wrote:
Sorry, didn't read this right. It could be this, but even then, you've got a chance to take away her pretextual objection. Address whatever concerns she proffers as though they aren't pretext, until you get to the root. Or don't, and let the relationship abate, but she doesn't sound like a troublesome client, so it seems a shame to let her off the hook without any effort.

I don't chase clients or beg them to change their minds. If they have some pre-set prejudices, I'm not going to expend a ton of energy trying to reverse this. If she is dead set on wanting a female photographer, who am I to tell her she's wrong?

I can assuage "fears" all day long, but it's ultimately their decision and their right to choose. You framing this whole situation as some failure on my part is misguided.

Edited on Jun 27, 2012 at 10:49 AM · View previous versions

Jun 27, 2012 at 10:46 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Clients disappointed that I wasn't a woman.

I haven't read the thread (only read the OP), but this is shallow. They love your work and images, but don't want to hire you based on gender? Walk away.

Jun 27, 2012 at 10:49 AM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Clients disappointed that I wasn't a woman.

TTLKurtis wrote:
Maybe this isn't normal, but I'm super comfortable during getting-ready with the bride, and the bride is always very comfortable as well. It may have something to do with my female assistant also being present, but they tend to be very trusting and comfortable around me.

As for the no-makeup thing, well there are some things that are just obvious, no bride is going to want close-ups done before makeup or while she's smearing gobs of it on her face. This is the time that you focus on wide shots, other people in the room, get some details, etc.

One of the
...Show more

I think it does come down to the type of client you attract, I seem to get a lot of very private/shy/nervous types where this is more of an issue. Also while WE know many things are obvious no-nos client preconceptions and thoughts can be very different.

There are lots of areas where gender shouldn't make any difference but does have an affect on the hiring decision.

Jun 27, 2012 at 10:49 AM
Manzelle
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Clients disappointed that I wasn't a woman.

robert61 wrote:
The vast majority of wedding photographic services procurement decisions are made by women. With a large number of females and couples entering the business, you could find this more common in the future.

1. She was honest
2. You can adjust your marketing strategies accordingly

How could marketing strategies be adjusted to deal with a gender bias?

Jun 27, 2012 at 10:50 AM
Manzelle
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Clients disappointed that I wasn't a woman.

amonline wrote:
I haven't read the thread (only read the OP), but this is shallow. They love your work and images, but don't want to hire you based on gender? Walk away.

This.

Jun 27, 2012 at 10:51 AM
stevez32
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Clients disappointed that I wasn't a woman.

deepbluejh wrote:
I didn't make a big deal of it, but it really is a little insulting to be turned down because of your gender. In how many other professions is this acceptable?

OBGYN

Jun 27, 2012 at 10:54 AM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Clients disappointed that I wasn't a woman.

Oh and I should add... you said they SIGNED the contract already, correct?... So they sort of have to pay up at this point, and tough shit for Daddy, if that's the case. No?

Jun 27, 2012 at 10:58 AM
acoll123
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Clients disappointed that I wasn't a woman.

Just a thought (if you really wanted the work), could you offer to hire a female second?

Jun 27, 2012 at 11:00 AM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Clients disappointed that I wasn't a woman.

TTLKurtis wrote:
Oh and I should add... you said they SIGNED the contract already, correct?... So they sort of have to pay up at this point, and tough shit for Daddy, if that's the case. No?

Technically yes, but I'm not going to force them into something they don't want. If, less than 24 hours later, they want out of the contract, I'll let them out.

Jun 27, 2012 at 11:01 AM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Clients disappointed that I wasn't a woman.

acoll123 wrote:
Just a thought (if you really wanted the work), could you offer to hire a female second?

They package they want has only single photographer coverage and I won't be giving them a second for free. At this point given the price issue, they won't be paying for it either.

Jun 27, 2012 at 11:02 AM
pinktutu
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Clients disappointed that I wasn't a woman.

stevez32 wrote:
OBGYN

Massage therapists.

Btw, Jaimie I've had the opposite problem. People think they're getting a hulking guy and are sometimes suprised to see a small female instead. I've been turned down from assisting before because they didn't think I could handle "big" lights. Oh well.

Jun 27, 2012 at 11:07 AM
marti.g3
• • • •
[X]
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Clients disappointed that I wasn't a woman.

Manzelle wrote:
How could marketing strategies be adjusted to deal with a gender bias?

Offer counseling services with their booking ? Sounds like MOM has her mind made up about the female tog. No changing that. Mommy and daddy are running that show.

Jun 27, 2012 at 11:26 AM
Daboyle
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Clients disappointed that I wasn't a woman.

Just change your last name to Star. Jamie Star. Then they can brag that J star shot their wedding.

Jun 27, 2012 at 11:45 AM
Robin Usagani
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Clients disappointed that I wasn't a woman.

Daboyle wrote:
Just change your last name to Star. Jamie Star. Then they can brag that J star shot their wedding.

And start shooting with leopard pattern skin on the 70-200.

Jun 27, 2012 at 11:47 AM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Clients disappointed that I wasn't a woman.

Daboyle wrote:

haha... excellent

Jun 27, 2012 at 11:48 AM
Prettym1k3
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Clients disappointed that I wasn't a woman.

deepbluejh wrote:
I didn't make a big deal of it, but it really is a little insulting to be turned down because of your gender. In how many other professions is this acceptable?

In this profession, it is acceptable to haggle. Withhold payment. Hire someone based upon their work and then blame them when they receive the same caliber of work. It's also acceptable to blame the photographer for making someone look fat or ugly. It's acceptable to expect more for less. To ask for the rights to the product which the photographer produces. To expect someone to be on their feet for 8-10 hours without a single break. To get a discount because "it's going to be great for your portfolio".

I guess the question, in THIS profession, what ISN'T acceptable?

I guess when other photographers hold their ground and stop letting people walk all over them, stuff like this won't be acceptable anymore.

Sucks, by the way. I think that's ridiculous.

Jun 27, 2012 at 12:00 PM
Tom K.
• • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Clients disappointed that I wasn't a woman.

Some people are very odd in this world. They thought you were female? I wonder if Toulouse Lautrec got the boot back in the day cause they thought he was taller. To avoid all possible confusion get yourself a nice fake name like Rocco or something. Ride a Harley and make sure you have some killer tattoos as well.

Edited on Jun 27, 2012 at 01:26 PM · View previous versions

Jun 27, 2012 at 12:22 PM
Sergio Mottola
• • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Clients disappointed that I wasn't a woman.

i showed up to a meeting a few months ago thinking that Alex was the groom and not the bride. our emails were very bro-ish.

Jun 27, 2012 at 12:29 PM
lisy78
• • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Clients disappointed that I wasn't a woman.

deepbluejh wrote:

Hooters wait staff jobs...

Jun 27, 2012 at 12:43 PM
       3       4       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.