FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       end

Archive 2012 · Leica M Monochrome

wayne seltzer
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · Leica M Monochrome

Thanks Joe and Mitch for sharing those interesting links.
Good luck Dolina in your decision! Both MM and M240 are incredible cameras.

Jan 26, 2013 at 03:02 PM
dolina
• • • •
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · Leica M Monochrome

wayne, the decision would be easier if the 240's hardware was used for the Mono. As it is I have to work with quirks carried from the M9.

Jan 26, 2013 at 03:52 PM
Mitch Alland
• • •
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · Leica M Monochrome

"The quirks carried across from the M9" are no quirks at all to a user who doesn't need to shoot in a way that exhibits these as quirks. For example, I don't shoot many shots in quick succession, so the small buffer is not a quirk for me. The low resolution of the LCD doesn't really bother me because, when exposing for the highlights, the main subject is often underexposed, which wouldn't make it useful to see a higher resolution image on the LCD for judging the exposure: I use merely for examining the histogram of a test exposure shot once in a while to ensure that I am not blowing highlights; but as I get more experience with the M-Monochrom, I look at the histogram less and less, and end up shooting as I would with the M6, which means that the camera does not get in the way of my shooting, which is what I really value.

Sure, I could use of LiveView for street photography to shoot the way I do with the Ricoh GRD, that is, by loosely framing the shot with the LCD but then looking directly at the subject when pressing the shutter. Moriyama Daido, in a video available on youtube calls this a "no finder shot" (hip shot). But with the wide angle 21 and 28mm lenses that I use for street photography I can just as easily shoot by pointing the camera, with the lens prefocused to 1.0-1.5m, in the right direction, at the subject without looking through the viewfinder. So, again, no quirk. Here's are two "no finder shots" — the subject and I were walking toward each other and, had I framed these shots through the viewfinder, the subject would have looked at me, which I did not want for these two pictures.

M-Monochrom | Elmarit-21 ASPH | ISO 640

Chiang Mai

M-Monochrom | Summicron-28 | ISO 1250

Bangkok

—Mitch/Chiang Mai
Lanka Footsteps [M-Monochrom series from Sri Lanka]

Jan 26, 2013 at 08:16 PM
goosemang
• • •
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · Leica M Monochrome

do you have any control cover the underlying color luminance levels with this camera, or are you stuck with Leica's interpretation of what the appropriate b&w representation is?

just curious

Jan 27, 2013 at 11:31 PM
Mitch Alland
• • •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · Leica M Monochrome

Like a B&W film, the spectral rendering of the M-Monochrom can be changed only by using a color filter. The color response of the M-Monochorm is compared to Tri-X film in this review.

—Mitch/Chiang Mai

Jan 27, 2013 at 11:38 PM
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.