Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2012 · OT: don't read or you will be spending money

hardlyboring
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · OT: don't read or you will be spending money

My 15mm Sigma is my sharpest lens. Even at 2.8 it is dope.

Jun 25, 2012 at 01:00 AM
Nic Cleave
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · OT: don't read or you will be spending money

Here's a recent one from me and my Canon 15mm, one of my favourite creative lenses in my wedding bag:
http://www.niccleave.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/11OxwichBayHotelWeddingPhotos.jpg

Cheers,

Nic

Jun 25, 2012 at 02:28 AM
pinktutu
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · OT: don't read or you will be spending money

Damn it, Lisy, I looked!!!!
Now I want

I have been trying to fight the urge for a fish eye for a while. My friend lent me his during one of the weddings we shot together, and I immediately liked it for the reception shots. I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to use it for wider applications, though. But the photos you posted look dope.

Jun 25, 2012 at 01:42 PM
tobicus
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · OT: don't read or you will be spending money

I like the shots, but I can't see us going wider than 24. That and 35 seem like great storytelling lengths.

Jun 25, 2012 at 02:13 PM
lisy78
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · OT: don't read or you will be spending money

Here are a couple of examples of shots that IMHO would have totally SUCKED with a fisheye that distorts... you know... like most fisheye lenses.

Check out Abe Link in this one:

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/269359_4163373290864_1870817715_n.jpg

the Liberty Bell here:

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/403832_4159059903032_56078835_n.jpg

I dunno how they did it... but these peeps at Samyang managed to make a Fisheye that makes me LIKE fisheyes. I usually really kinda hate the uber-distorted corners

Of course this is my personal opionion... one man's garbage...

That's NOT to say that these images don't have distortion or that it didn't take effort and quite a bit of compromising to get something looking nifty in a corner or near the corner... but it's possible... other fishes I've tried before I couldn't get it done.

Jun 25, 2012 at 09:56 PM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · OT: don't read or you will be spending money

we have a whole set of those lenses we use for short films we do. Love them. Especially on a D4

Jun 26, 2012 at 08:17 AM
LivLif
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · OT: don't read or you will be spending money

hardlyboring wrote:
My 15mm Sigma is my sharpest lens. Even at 2.8 it is dope.

Yup! I love my sigma 15 too.

Jun 26, 2012 at 08:33 AM
morganb4
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · OT: don't read or you will be spending money

MINE. Thanks.

Jun 26, 2012 at 09:57 AM
Marcus Watts
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · OT: don't read or you will be spending money

I didn't believe you when i read the title.

I have to have one now.

Jun 26, 2012 at 10:04 AM
martinezphoto
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · OT: don't read or you will be spending money

Haven't blogged these yet but what the hell...

Sigma Fishy goodness

http://martinezphotography.smugmug.com/photos/i-KxwGqzq/0/X2/i-KxwGqzq-X2.jpg

http://martinezphotography.smugmug.com/photos/i-g8trKsF/0/X2/i-g8trKsF-X2.jpg

Jun 26, 2012 at 10:57 AM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · OT: don't read or you will be spending money

Sharpness isn't a big deal, really. Photographers obsess WAY too much over sharpness. Clients don't really care that much.

I owned a Peleng 8mm fish for a while back in the 1D Mark II era. What I found is that it was not flattering to shoot people with and brides *HATED* it. I even have a couple tell me point blank "I don't want any fisheye shots at my wedding.

I've since sold that one trick pony and haven't really considered getting another one. They're fun, but only for certain things.

Jun 26, 2012 at 12:19 PM
remoras
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · OT: don't read or you will be spending money

Did you shoot these on a crop sensor? Or your D700?

Jun 27, 2012 at 07:29 AM
Bearmann
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · OT: don't read or you will be spending money

Just picked up the Rokinon in a Canon mount on a gold box deal at Amazon for $224 based on your photos and recommendation. Looks like it will be fun! What camera body are you using with it?

Jun 27, 2012 at 11:58 AM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · OT: don't read or you will be spending money

He's prob using it in 1.5x mode on the d800, or on his d7000

Jun 27, 2012 at 03:24 PM
Bearmann
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · OT: don't read or you will be spending money

Thanks Nathan.

Jun 27, 2012 at 04:45 PM
lisy78
• • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · OT: don't read or you will be spending money

pinktutu wrote:
Damn it, Lisy, I looked!!!!
Now I want

I have been trying to fight the urge for a fish eye for a while. My friend lent me his during one of the weddings we shot together, and I immediately liked it for the reception shots. I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to use it for wider applications, though. But the photos you posted look dope.

Part of the reason I decided to go for it was the very low price. Now someone else here posted about buying it from Amazon for nearly $100 less on a gold box deal or whatever it was... granted that's the Canon version (which lacks the AE chip the Nikon one I bought has [thye make 2 versions for Nikon, chipped and not]). I figured I couldn't go wrong trying it... then if I hated it I could sell it and it would have been a cheap rental

Jun 27, 2012 at 10:49 PM
lisy78
• • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · OT: don't read or you will be spending money

tobicus wrote:
I like the shots, but I can't see us going wider than 24. That and 35 seem like great storytelling lengths.

Not to give away too much "special sauce" but at the price I had to pay it's a toy that is frankly worth it just from the fact that it attracts curiosity and allows you to do hilarious things.

For instance you can shoot ridiculous angles and still get someone in the shot... and then show them... and they're always amazed. Or for instance at a recent wedding I was hanging out with the groomsmen and one of the guys says something like "you should take a portrait of this guy, he hates portraits" ... so guy strikes a pose and I shoot him with the fish from a RIDICULOUSLY close POV... the other two guys immediatelly say they wanna see... but of course I tell them they gotta play to see... so they get ridiculous as well.. and I end up shooting 3 or 4 groomsmen from like 3 inches away.

Now I wasn't paying attention to the focus so the shots are worhless when viewed at any size larger than the screen on the back of the camera, but they got lots of laughs when they saw the portraits as the ridiculous distortion made what they thought were funny faces, into absolutely ridiculous faces.. bottom line they were laughing with me showing the bridesmaids... etc. etc. etc.

It's a great lens to make children laugh as well... I mean check out these shots of two of my sons:

to a small degree this one...

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/529366_4167616876951_569330544_n.jpg

but look at this one:

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/522105_4167624037130_1415884862_n.jpg

After I've taken a great portrait of their little one with an 85... what mother isn't going to die laughing seeing something like that of their little darling?

Then again I guess it depends on your persona. While I (struggle) to make sure I don't make myself part of the show, I do like to leave those who choose to interact with me with a smile... and this is just anotehr (inexpensive) tool on the belt that I think can do wonders in this regard

Moreover... it's a fun playtoy. you can do something stupid like take your camera out for 15 minutes and just take absurd perspective photos of stuff. Not saying it's sellable, but I certainly found it fun.

Edited on Jun 27, 2012 at 10:59 PM · View previous versions

Jun 27, 2012 at 10:57 PM
lisy78
• • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · OT: don't read or you will be spending money

Marcus Watts wrote:
I didn't believe you when i read the title.

I have to have one now.

ROFLMAO!

Jun 27, 2012 at 10:58 PM
lisy78
• • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · OT: don't read or you will be spending money

As to how I've been using it... Nathan's on the money. Everything I've posted here was shot with the lens on the D800. Most were indeed shot at 1.5x which is what the lens is natively designed for. A couple, most notably the one with the lincoln memorial, the monument and the capitol, was actually shot at 1.2x ... at 1.2x you definitely get the hood in your shot but once you crop the 1.2x shot, especially if you go a tad more wider ratio than 3x2 you do get a bit of image that is NOT recorded at 1.5x

I've had it on my D7000 as well, but since getting the D800 the 7K has seen very little use. The 7K used to be my go-to body for family outings due to the small size and available video. the D800 has video and while it's not as small as the 7K with the 3 crop mode options (it would have 4 but I don't use the 5x4 so far) it means I can take a smaller/lighter prime lens and have a virtual zoom...

Jun 27, 2012 at 11:04 PM
a2rob
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · OT: don't read or you will be spending money

lisy78 wrote:
ROFLMAO!

Mine will be here Thursday!!

Jul 01, 2012 at 06:15 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.