Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · How close are you to other wedding photographers?

friscoron
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · How close are you to other wedding photographers?

On the serious side, we really do need to get together. Thorne and I put one together a little over a month ago, and I got a last-second 2nd job in Detroit, so I missed out. I really haven't developed the friendships and networking that I need to in this area.

Jun 21, 2012 at 12:42 PM
Prettym1k3
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · How close are you to other wedding photographers?

I don't know about the mid-west or east coast, but out here there seems to be a small percentage of photographers who can get along with everyone, and a big percentage of them can't keep their mouths shut and just need to run their tongues putting everyone down, just to (falsely) build themselves up. Seeing other photographers using their Facebook or Twitter accounts to slam other peoples' work is just unacceptable, even if you hate their selective color or editing style or their personality. It only makes you, the originator, look bad.

As for us, we're still friends with our wedding photographer from 4 years ago. Sure, she was my biology partner in high school, but we're still friends. In fact, she stopped by our place about 2 months ago just to say hi. And we make friends with everyone we meet. Simple as that. Unless someone gives me a reason to hate them, then I have no issue with them. And typically, those reasons consist of talking bad about clients, or other photographers, or generally being a nasty person. I don't care what they say about my work or my style.

This proves beneficial for us. We book our own weddings, but we pick up a decent amount from referrals from other photographers who are already booked, and we book a lot of second shooting gigs because people want to work with my wife and I. In the end, simply being nice is good for business.

Jun 21, 2012 at 01:28 PM
tobicus
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · How close are you to other wedding photographers?

friscoron wrote:
On the serious side, we really do need to get together. Thorne and I put one together a little over a month ago, and I got a last-second 2nd job in Detroit, so I missed out. I really haven't developed the friendships and networking that I need to in this area.

I definitely agree. We'll finish moving to the area by this time in July, so hopefully we can set something up soon...

Jun 21, 2012 at 01:44 PM
Inku Yo
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · How close are you to other wedding photographers?

Yeah, I'm friends with photographers that I would probably be friends with even if we weren't all photographers. Just good people, like Chuck and Rich alluded to.

Jun 21, 2012 at 02:42 PM
TRReichman
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · How close are you to other wedding photographers?

When I lived in the Midwest all the photographers hated each other. Now that I live in Atlanta literally all my friends are photographers and all my national friends are photographers. I'm quite happy with that. Having said that we've reached a point where we don't get referrals from friends. No one I know who is working at the level I am is overbooked enough to have referrals to hand out and all my referrals come from vendors who send the job somewhere else when we can't do it, which is a bummer.

- trr

Jun 21, 2012 at 04:35 PM
micla

p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · How close are you to other wedding photographers?

Photography has introduced me to some great friends that I see on a regular basis (outside of shoots and photography get togethers). It is also a bonus having friends who have a common interest for getting into the nitty gritty details of photography and running your own business. These friends are the first ones that I refer clients to. If they are booked, I refer to others that I don't know personally but whose work I like and feel like I know through forums like these . I do not post a lot, but I try to read every topic.

Jun 21, 2012 at 08:29 PM
SGallant
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · How close are you to other wedding photographers?

Robin Usagani wrote:
I introduced Steve to Pho' (Vietnamese noodle) a few weeks ago. I just want to make sure he wont ban me if I snap one day on this forum.

I love Pho'!

Only doing this a few months now, but I have made friends off of here, second shot off of here, and have also worked with some companies out of NYC. 1 of which we now chat back and forth even when we are not working together. So I would say that is a budding friendship there!

Jun 21, 2012 at 08:56 PM
whtrbt7
• •
[X]
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · How close are you to other wedding photographers?

I would like to know more wedding photographers. Since I'm the new kid on the block, I'm kinda the odd one out except in a few instances where I've networked with existing wedding photographers. Established ones tend to like me more but newbies seem to think I'm a threat I think. Eventually I would like to network to a lot of wedding photographers so I can have extra photographers on my shoots or if I can't make one, they can fill in. It's also good for bouncing ideas which I think is always important in such a creative industry.

Jun 21, 2012 at 09:17 PM
Jeremy B.

p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · How close are you to other wedding photographers?

We have been intentional about meeting and getting to know other local wedding photographers. A few of them are not interested in any sort of community, and spending time with them is all about how much they know and how little everyone else knows about photography. The rest of the photographers we have met are really open about sharing stories and talking shop, and we do our best to help each other out with referrals and resources. Before we knew the local photographers we know now, there was a sense that they were all our competition. Now it just feels like a community of people with plenty of work to go around, and most of us are rooting for each other's success. And I also know who all to call locally in an emergency if my wife and I find ourselves unable to cover a wedding we have a contract for.

Jun 22, 2012 at 08:41 AM
TAGfan
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · How close are you to other wedding photographers?

I like hangin' out with other photog friends, meeting new ones, etc. Not as much time to do so with the kids, but the wider your circle of friends (metaphorically, not Google +) the better...

Jun 22, 2012 at 08:56 AM
EVO088
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · How close are you to other wedding photographers?

when most folks get over the fact that they are not a threat .. they become friends and allies against these crazy getting married folks

Jun 22, 2012 at 09:34 AM
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.