Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · construction photography - rates - dealing with unions - ...

sean4230
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · construction photography - rates - dealing with unions - Advice needed!!

so, i normally shoot people (seniors, kids/families, weddings, etc.). i've been approached by a trade union to do some work (they know its compensated) photographing job sites, and events for their union. the work isn't that far off from what i'm already doing, just a different subject and setting. the business manager are going to meet this week to talk about the details.

my question is, for those out here who have done this kind of work, what would be considered an appropriate price model/range? its a model that i'm not as familiar with. i really want to make this work, as it looks like it could be a lot of jobs in the future, but i'm not ok with underselling myself/us out of ignorance! ANY help is appreciated! many thanks!
sean

Jun 20, 2012 at 04:45 AM
cwebster
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · construction photography - rates - dealing with unions - Advice needed!!

Figure out what your hourly rate is and charge by the hour. Your hourly rate should include your labor, transportation, depreciation, insurance, etc.

Be sure not to agree to a "work for hire" deal, in which all you get is money. You won't be able to use your own photos if you don't get it in writing up front.

<Chas>

Jun 20, 2012 at 05:53 AM
sirimiri
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · construction photography - rates - dealing with unions - Advice needed!!

Though not in response to your question, you have seen Gil Garcetti's book, "Iron: Erecting the Walt Disney Concert Hall"?

Jun 21, 2012 at 01:43 PM
gel685
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · construction photography - rates - dealing with unions - Advice needed!!

I'm can't help you with your question about rates, but for your safety at the job sites you should invest in steel-toe safety shoes (don't go cheap on this), reflective vest, safety glasses (get prescription if you are an eye-glass wearer), and a hard hat. Most of this will be required. Make sure you know the construction company's safety rules and talk with their safety manager before you start work. You may also need the company's permission to take photographs. Also, many industrial facilities don't allow taking photographs to protect their secrets. Make sure you have their permission to even be there. By the way, they also will have their own safety rules. You have three parties to deal with, the union, the construction company, and the facility ownership/management.--Eric.

Jun 21, 2012 at 02:21 PM
_Rob_S_
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · construction photography - rates - dealing with unions - Advice needed!!

Also not a response to your question, but here's a guy doing amazing construction photography:

http://www.setteducati.com/index2.php?v=v1

Rob

Jun 21, 2012 at 02:31 PM
alohadave
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · construction photography - rates - dealing with unions - Advice needed!!

sean4230 wrote:
so, i normally shoot people (seniors, kids/families, weddings, etc.). i've been approached by a trade union to do some work (they know its compensated) photographing job sites, and events for their union. the work isn't that far off from what i'm already doing, just a different subject and setting. the business manager are going to meet this week to talk about the details.

my question is, for those out here who have done this kind of work, what would be considered an appropriate price model/range? its a model that i'm not as familiar with. i really want to make this work,
...Show more

If the work is similar to work that you are already doing, quote similarly to how you would for a similar job.

If you need to buy safety equipment, include that in your quote.

Jun 21, 2012 at 05:55 PM
sean4230
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · construction photography - rates - dealing with unions - Advice needed!!

the rates for the basic stuff (events, ceremonies, etc.) will be the same as my normal rates. the part that gets a little trickier is the work site, out of town, coverage. day rates, hourly, by the job, etc. it looks like it'll be a really nice mix of work, and most importantly, consistent! thanks for the replies, and the above link! all advice is appreciated. sean

Jun 21, 2012 at 05:59 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Bearmann
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · construction photography - rates - dealing with unions - Advice needed!!

_Rob_S_ wrote:
Also not a response to your question, but here's a guy doing amazing construction photography:

Rob

Thanks for the link! Really nice!

Jun 23, 2012 at 03:40 AM
lukeb
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · construction photography - rates - dealing with unions - Advice needed!!

Bearmann wrote:
Thanks for the link! Really nice!

+1

Jun 23, 2012 at 03:52 AM
sean4230
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · construction photography - rates - dealing with unions - Advice needed!!

thanks for the replies! everything is worked out, and the work looks to be very consistent! @ rob_s - thanks for sharing the link. the people part will be easy, the worksite shots will take little more creativity, so any links/inspiration is appreciated!

Jun 24, 2012 at 06:00 AM
pstreet

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · construction photography - rates - dealing with unions - Advice needed!!

I shot the build-out of a factory in Austin TX in 2009 which was included in the Best of ASMP 2009 issue of the ASMP magazine. http://asmpwny.org/articles/best-2009-street.html I was lucky to have a client that allowed me to do something creative.

Jun 25, 2012 at 12:41 AM
earthrockhill

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · construction photography - rates - dealing with unions - Advice needed!!

_Rob_S_ wrote:

Rob

Rob: I saw a lot of traffic coming from this site and had to investigate (and join) . Thansk for the link to my site and glad everyone here digs what i do!!!

Jul 01, 2012 at 01:28 AM
MBrewington

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · construction photography - rates - dealing with unions - Advice needed!!

I do construction photography with a twist. I'm the master mechanic on the project so always have a camera handy. Sometimes have to remind myself what my real job is. My advise is to jump through the hoops by getting the blessings from the safety department. It doesn't hurt a bit to make a few for promo so they see what you can do. Be very concious not to take any potentially embarassing shots or you will wear out your welcome in a heartbeat. You need friends on the inside to post you on upcoming events and milestones on the project. Don't be afraid to be on site before daylight and after dark. Many of my most successful images made full use of different combinations of artificial and natural lighting. Feel free to drop into some of my galleries dedicated to construction. WRTB, ESCSO, & Previous Jobs will give you some ideas.

Jul 02, 2012 at 02:39 AM
harrygilbert
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · construction photography - rates - dealing with unions - Advice needed!!

As an industrial engineer, I had permission to take pictures to document the operations of client companies. Most were used in process documentation, but some ended up being used in company advertisements, financial reports, and lobby photos. Some examples here:

http://fgallc.smugmug.com/Industrial/Converting

As a process consultant, I take photos as part of my analysis and costs are included as part of my normal rates.

As was noted above, you need to learn (and follow) safety rules and dress for the environment. By all means, clear all images with authorized company officials to ensure that no safety hazards, trademarks or process secrets are revealed. If the end use will include advertising, be sure to get model releases, or have people's identity obscured (not facing the camera, or blur).

Jul 05, 2012 at 02:45 AM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password