Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · sold lens buyers wants to return

anthonysemone
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · sold lens buyers wants to return

Wow, just want informed buyers appreciate, sir, and that is you are a "longtime ebay seller of junk"

Jun 22, 2012 at 12:29 AM
omarlyn
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · sold lens buyers wants to return

omarlyn wrote:
...although I'm inclined to take your side due (mainly) to your B&S history and the other member's lack of history, I will add the following: You are taking advantage of the 'PayPal 45/90 day rule'...you should have done your inspection within 3 days (at most!). Waiting 8 days and then using the the ridiculous 45/90 day clause is completely bogus! So if I buy a lens from you, you'd be prefectly fine (100% no issue) if I wanted to return it to you 45 days after I receive it, right? You wouldn't be bothered and you'll accept the return with
...Show more
mokofoko wrote:
While your opinion is appreciated...-paypal does not care what you think... Had the lens failed completely within that 30-50 day period, I'd have kept my options open as well. Protections are there for a reason, and only a fool would not use them when needed.

You're free to have whatever returns period you want specified in your listings, but paypal doesn't care what you want. If a buyer wants a return 20 days later, they will get it. Be stubborn if you wish, but you will lose. As a longtime ebay seller of junk, I know very well that the buyer
...Show more

WOW! Unbelievable...well, I'm so glad you very publicly let EVERYONE on this board know that if you buy a lens, camera or anything else on this board, you will keep your "options open" to return the item 30 or 50 days after receipt! Thank goodness for forum options like the 'hide me' buttom so I NEVER accidently do business with you! Buying a used item in a private transaction and holding the seller responsible for 50 days...UNREAL!

My 2 cents...(now where's that 'hide me' button)
Omar

Jun 22, 2012 at 02:50 AM
dcains
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · sold lens buyers wants to return

+1. Hard to believe one could behave like such a prick in this community. Kudos for being honest about it, though, right? Thanks again, Fred, for the 'hide me' button.

Jun 22, 2012 at 05:38 AM
mlife
• • •
p.2 #4 · sold lens buyers wants to return

... You got it wrong... don't hide him. We'll all just wait til he lists something for sale and start buying his stuff, playing with it for 30 days then file a paypal dispute.

Jun 22, 2012 at 11:27 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · sold lens buyers wants to return

trenchmonkey wrote:
If he had it in his hands for those 8 days, then yes...way too long!
I can check out a lens in 2 or 3 minutes Methinks you're looking at
a case buyer's remorse or he found one cheaper after purchasing yours.

There is a possibility his body/technique is to blame, but that's hardly your fault.
You're call on the return, but I'd be inclined to say "sorry, Charlie"...it's a done deal.

Will is absolutely correct!!!!!
I give my buyers 3days(if an established FM'r) at the tops to check out the camera or lens,most only 24 hours(little or no feedback and new FM er.)...8 days is out of line!
Already had this happen on 1Dxxxx sale recently!
I also had a lens damaged in shipment and when informed by the buyer, with images of the OOF,when I received the lens back, I refunded his money.
I sent lens to CPS and yes indeedy, focus ring was damaged! CPS fixed it free.
Re-sold it back to same buyer at a reduced price for his trouble!

There is an increasing trend here on FM of buying early in the week, PDQ shipping for a weekend event then wanting the seller to wait until the weekend event is over for feedback and acceptance of item.
Sorry Charlie....24hrs is my limit, with extenuating circumstances, maybe 2-3 days at max or if an established FM'er, we will work together on the timetable.
Good luck!
Dan

Edited on Jun 23, 2012 at 06:07 PM · View previous versions

Jun 23, 2012 at 05:58 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · sold lens buyers wants to return

dcains wrote:
+1. Hard to believe one could behave like such a prick in this community. Kudos for being honest about it, though, right? Thanks again, Fred, for the 'hide me' button.

Dean,
There are a many few here on FM recently!!!!
Been there!!
Dan

Jun 23, 2012 at 06:02 PM
RKH
• • •
p.2 #7 · sold lens buyers wants to return

Why do I need to wait for a "cheapo" ring flash to test a macro lens??

Jul 01, 2012 at 12:02 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jo Dilbeck
• • • •
p.2 #8 · sold lens buyers wants to return

hillsidekim wrote:
Why do I need to wait for a "cheapo" ring flash to test a macro lens??

YUP, that was my first question also! My only experience with an FM sale return was quite positive. I bought a Sigma lens (12-24) for my 5D2 from an established member. When the lens arrived, I tested it immediately and it threw errors all over the place. I appears the seller had use the lens successfully on a 5DC, NOT a 5D2. He was a perfect gentleman and refunded my money as I shipped the lens back to him. We were both happy.

The key was this: I tested the lens IMMEDIATELY, not 8 days after I received it. How is the buyer supposed to know what you did with that lens in those 8 days? Testing is a 15-30 minute process max.

Another potential lesson from this thread, DON'T USE PAYPAL! I stopped taking PP Gift, may have to stop PP altogether if they ever try to enforce a 30-50 day return policy, that's just crazy-talk.

Jo

Jul 04, 2012 at 07:13 PM
Beni
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · sold lens buyers wants to return

Another one who would steer clear of the buyer in the future. People who quote 'letter of the law' to justify these kinds of actions are usually to be kept away from at all costs!

Jul 06, 2012 at 02:17 PM
kewlcanon
• • • •
p.2 #10 · sold lens buyers wants to return

Monkey is right on the money. I'd say the similar thing "sorry buddy ... ".

trenchmonkey wrote:
If he had it in his hands for those 8 days, then yes...way too long!
I can check out a lens in 2 or 3 minutes Methinks you're looking at
a case buyer's remorse or he found one cheaper after purchasing yours.

There is a possibility his body/technique is to blame, but that's hardly your fault.
You're call on the return, but I'd be inclined to say "sorry, Charlie"...it's a done deal.

Jul 08, 2012 at 01:00 AM
netexpress
• • • •
p.2 #11 · sold lens buyers wants to return

I've seen this issue crop up so many times! This dispute is now resolved but from now on I believe everyone should always post the terms of the sale on the listing including the options for a return and state the number of days they have to do so. This can easily be avoided by just posted the "bad news" up front rather than going through a discovery process on the back end of the deal.

The problem with person to person deals is not all the rules at set out clearly. If you buy from a real camera store they list all the terms up front so everyone knows the rules of the game. We individuals have to look at those terms decide what we want to offer and state them up front as well. Worse case the buyer won't like the terms and the seller loses the sale but at least you don't end up with a mess after the fact.

Jul 09, 2012 at 04:15 PM
anthonysemone
• • • •
p.2 #12 · sold lens buyers wants to return

mokofoko wrote:
I did not. Doing such a thing would merely be a courtesy, and not a requirement--but I see where you're going with that. Whether I informed him or not, I would have proceeded in the same manner. Had I thought about it, I would have let him know.

Well, I'll be damn sure not to buy from you. Hide button, here I come.

Jul 09, 2012 at 05:08 PM
mguffin
• •
p.2 #13 · sold lens buyers wants to return

I've bought from B&H using PP, and wonder what would happen if I opened a dispute with PP after 45 days... since B&H has a 14 day return... PP should respect the terms that you agreed to when making the purchase (don't think that's the case, but it would be nice)... That's why the terms should be in the listing...

Also, the only time I have ever had any problems with buying or selling anything, anywhere, is when a Sigma lens was involved.

Jul 09, 2012 at 05:22 PM
       end

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password