Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

Archive 2012 · How to do this incredible technique

Robin Usagani
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · How to do this incredible technique

My wild guess is that he uses 45 degree reflective glass. Thats why you can see the person, the skyline but NOT the camera/photographer

Jun 20, 2012 at 04:08 AM
lisy78
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · How to do this incredible technique

Tony Hoffer wrote:
No reflections or double exposure even necessary for these... JM, You show me light painting in January and I'll show you this

are you saying that there's a way to:

1. do this in camera

2. without some ridiculous trickery like "the city is actually a print shot at F32 prior and printed"

3. without multiple exposures

4. without relfections

that would result in this:

including the fact that the dude's eyelashes are in focus, as is the skyscraper 800 feet away?

or this:

including the detail on them (not just a silohuette)...

Oh and can we also assume that what we're looking at are full sensor files? Not small unusable except for web-use crops from a point and shoot sensor?

I've seen these before and coudln't figure it out either... so I guess I'll have to wait 'till after John Marc shows us his light-painting to find out.

Jun 20, 2012 at 05:16 AM
blueirisarts
• •
p.2 #3 · How to do this incredible technique

print a transparency of a cityscape... place in between subject and camera. Wherever the subject is overexposed, the lighter and luminescent the transparency will be... Can you shoot that hypothesis down?

Jun 20, 2012 at 05:54 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · How to do this incredible technique

Ale, on a 5DIII, yes.

Jun 20, 2012 at 06:06 AM
brett maxwell
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #5 · How to do this incredible technique

blueirisarts wrote:
print a transparency of a cityscape... place in between subject and camera. Wherever the subject is overexposed, the lighter and luminescent the transparency will be... Can you shoot that hypothesis down?

the transparency would have to be lit independently of the subject, and DOF will still be a huge problem. DOF gives it all away as impossible in a single exposure. look at the one just above with the guy wearing glasses. his nose is sharp, but the far edge of his glasses is already going out of focus. and yet the buildings a half mile away are sharp.

Jun 20, 2012 at 06:32 AM
blueirisarts
• •
p.2 #6 · How to do this incredible technique

brett maxwell wrote:
the transparency would have to be lit independently of the subject, and DOF will still be a huge problem.

It would actually not need to be lit at all from the front... that would cause glare off of the transparency. Plus, the DOF is doable if you got the size of your transparency large enough to put it close enough to your subject to crank down the aperture!.. Got a big printer?

DOF gives it all away as impossible in a single exposure. look at the one just above with the guy wearing glasses. his nose is sharp, but the far edge of his glasses is already going out of focus. and yet the buildings a half mile away are sharp.
The DOF doesn't mean crap... It means that all of the elements used are within the focal plane.

Transparency is close to subjects face... the transparency was a shot taken with infinite focus so of course it would be in focus.

Another thought would be to use a piece of glass with 1 way mirror film and carefully set up the shot... though the kid pic makes me skeptical of this method.

Jun 20, 2012 at 06:43 AM
Sean Hoffman
• •
p.2 #7 · How to do this incredible technique

After considering the depth of field issues, I can't see this being done with a piece of glass...I'm thinking in-camera double exposure now too.

Jun 20, 2012 at 06:55 AM
lisy78
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · How to do this incredible technique

amonline wrote:
Ale, on a 5DIII, yes.

You saw that I said "without multiple exposures?" right?

Does the 5d3 have a dedicated "cityscape the face" button?

Jun 20, 2012 at 07:14 AM
Mike Mahoney
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · How to do this incredible technique

I suppose someone could ask him directly if nobody here knows how to do it .. his contact info is on his website. Most (well almost most) photographers are happy to help one another.

It can't be too big of a secret, he's shot quite a few portraits like it so somebody somewhere must know .. my bet is two exposures with blended layers.

Jun 20, 2012 at 12:59 PM
jneilosu
• • •
p.2 #10 · How to do this incredible technique

Are you serious that the Mkiii is the first digital canon to offer double exposure? My freaking D200 did that 7 years ago.

Jun 20, 2012 at 01:25 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Mike Mahoney
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · How to do this incredible technique

jneilosu wrote:
Are you serious that the Mkiii is the first digital canon to offer double exposure? My freaking D200 did that 7 years ago.

And a tripod's been doing it for 100 years

Jun 20, 2012 at 01:52 PM
photosymbol
• •
p.2 #12 · How to do this incredible technique

I'm going to go with 2 shots combined in photoshop with a particular blending mode set to have the couple appear.

First shoot person/couple with some interesting lighting in studio or in bright sunlight. Second is picture from so high up observatory type place. This is not done in-camera and i'm sorry but it comes off as rather gimmicky.

-Brendan
Boston Wedding Photographer

Jun 20, 2012 at 02:06 PM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · How to do this incredible technique

lisy78 wrote:
are you saying that there's a way to:

1. do this in camera

2. without some ridiculous trickery like "the city is actually a print shot at F32 prior and printed"

3. without multiple exposures

4. without relfections

that would result in this:

http://files.petapixel.com/assets/uploads/2012/01/silh1_mini.jpg

Yes, that is exactly what I'm saying. There's actually two ways that I can think of. Neither of them are a double exposure or 5D3-type trick. We'll do one at the Genesis reunion.

Jun 20, 2012 at 02:17 PM
lisy78
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · How to do this incredible technique

ok, could someone explain what "a 5D3-type trick" is if it's not a double-exposure?

Jun 20, 2012 at 02:26 PM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · How to do this incredible technique

lisy78 wrote:
ok, could someone explain what "a 5D3-type trick" is if it's not a double-exposure?

The 5D3 trick is the same thing as a double exposure. I just said that because people seemed to be classifying it as something different.

Edited on Jun 20, 2012 at 03:10 PM · View previous versions

Jun 20, 2012 at 02:29 PM
lisy78
• • • • •
p.2 #16 · How to do this incredible technique

Alright.. so forgetting about the mind-blowing possibility of shooting that IN CAMERA in one shot...

if this is close enough to what you're looking for:

then here's a tutorial:

http://www.disciascio.com/uncategorized/2012/06/tutorial-the-impossible-reflection-technique-a-photoshop-how-to/

Jun 20, 2012 at 02:58 PM
Mike Mahoney
• • • • •
p.2 #17 · How to do this incredible technique

lisy78 wrote:
if this is close enough to what you're looking for:

Actually I like yours more, good job!

Jun 20, 2012 at 03:02 PM
lisy78
• • • • •
p.2 #18 · How to do this incredible technique

Hum... ok I think I figured out a way to do it in camera...

but it would involve things like:

1. very very very careful positioning

2. probably cropping some of the frame, though I'm not sure that would ALWAYS be necessary

3. owning a tilt-shift lens

I suppose a 45 TSE shot at F11 or thereabouts with the right amount of tilt (and maybe shift to get yourself out of the shot... though I'm not sure that's really an issue) ... could get this baby done in one shot.

One lucky lucky lucky, skillful shot... at least based on my experience with T/S (then again there's live view now)...

and I think it's more likely to work for the cityscape photos than for the Davina+Daniel shot due to the shooting on a rooftop tilted plane of focus running into the city below... but maybe not, maybe it works even in the volcano shot.

Whether this is an answer or not, there's a lesson inside... it can't hurt to try out some of our lenses at apertures narrower than 2.8 sometime

Jun 20, 2012 at 03:23 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.2 #19 · How to do this incredible technique

I like yours better as well, Ale, when used in a wedding application.

Jun 20, 2012 at 03:42 PM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.2 #20 · How to do this incredible technique

lisy78 wrote:
Hum... ok I think I figured out a way to do it in camera...

but it would involve things like:

1. very very very careful positioning

2. probably cropping some of the frame, though I'm not sure that would ALWAYS be necessary

3. owning a tilt-shift lens

I suppose a 45 TSE shot at F11 or thereabouts with the right amount of tilt (and maybe shift to get yourself out of the shot... though I'm not sure that's really an issue) ... could get this baby done in one shot.

One lucky lucky lucky, skillful shot... at least based on my experience with T/S (then again
...Show more

I'm changing my tune a bit... I just played around a bit more with my 2 methods. Both would work and could be done in single exposures, but they would both require a ton of equipment and more time than most people would have. So now I'm in the multiple exposure camp for the examples shown

Jun 20, 2012 at 03:54 PM
       3       4       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password