FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4              6       7       end

Archive 2012 · The Knot "Don't feed vendors"

marti.g3
• • • •
[X]
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · The Knot "Don't feed vendors"

Young photographers can physically go without eating much more than a "mature" photographer. I was in their shoes at one time.

Wait until they get older. They'll change their entire tune.

Egg McMuffin and a bottle of water for an all day of shooting....yeah right.

Jun 20, 2012 at 12:16 PM
tobicus
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · The Knot "Don't feed vendors"

We made food a part of our contract from the get go, and have been fed in each wedding we've done so far (3). Our next wedding is this weekend, and we'll be fed there too. But if we'd simply been relying on the kindness of strangers, we'd probably have gone hungry. As a photographer, you've got to assert yourself or you'll be left out in the cold.

Jun 20, 2012 at 12:24 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · The Knot "Don't feed vendors"

Kittyk wrote:
i have to admit that when there is table seat, with our name on it, it sure does affect how we feel

Sure. It affects how I feel about the couple and, consequently, to some extent, it affects the effort I put into their photography.

Jun 20, 2012 at 01:06 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · The Knot "Don't feed vendors"

lisy78 wrote:
Red flag? Really? Not book the client over a vendor meal? ... Are you seriously unable to make yourself a decent sandwich, place it in a cooler and pull it out while the B&G are eating?

It's indicative of how the client feels about us!

Jun 20, 2012 at 01:17 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · The Knot "Don't feed vendors"

marti.g3 wrote:
Egg McMuffin and a bottle of water for an all day of shooting....yeah right.

It's not just an age thing. Have you noticed that most couples and their wedding party are STARVING by the time dinner rolls around at five or six.

Jun 20, 2012 at 01:20 PM
marti.g3
• • • •
[X]
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · The Knot "Don't feed vendors"

D. Diggler wrote:
Sure. It affects how I feel about the couple and, consequently, to some extent, it affects the effort I put into their photography.

That's a very interesting viewpoint. We all like to say how we love out clients, but I agree with you. When you're relegated to nothing more in scope of importance for the job that you are doing to the level of the plate server or below that, one tends to feel slighted. Sure we're getting paid to perform a service, but let's face it. What WE do is unlike any other vendor in that WE have to put so much energy, time and creativity into our work as opposed to the DJ, Florist, Minister or Waiter.

Our work is influenced by our emotions, mood and energy level. We're not robots.

I photographed an Indian Engagement Party the other day. It was a small 4 hour job. But for those 4 hours it was non stop. While everyone was eating and drinking from a HUGE 20 course buffet, I was standing in front of the main stage taking shot after shot of ALL of the guests tossing roses, feeding the couple and THEN having their photo taken with them. And this was AFTER shooting family groups and couples engagement photos prior to the party. I didn't even have time to go take a piss or get a drink of water.

An aunt came up to me, seeing me dripping sweat, and offered me a cool glass of coke and ice. It was like manna from heaven. I thanked her profusely.

At the end of my time, I thanked the parents and couple.......as I was walking out, the brother of the bride, the quasi coordinator asked me " Thank you so much. Did you get a chance to eat from that awesome buffett " ? "I'm sorry I didn't but I did have a couple of crackers "................

Jun 20, 2012 at 01:25 PM
lisy78
• • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · The Knot "Don't feed vendors"

D. Diggler wrote:
It's indicative of how the client feels about us!

Considering that I usually show up with a 2nd shooter and an assistant, and considering that I've shot weddings in locations where the guests's plate easily exceeds $100 a head... maybe it's not so much about how the client feels about me as much as how the client feels about three hundred bucks plus.

And frankly I'd feel the same way in their shoes.

I judge how my clients feel about me by how they treat me up to the wedding, how much they invest with ME, how they talk to me, how they introduce me to people, how they brag about my work on Facebook, how they use my photos watermarked, as their profile photo... how they call me a year later and tell me they referred me to their sister etc. Not by whether they're willing to blow an extra $300 on overpriced food that frankly I won't even get to enjoy... that mostly accounts for an open bar that I won't take advantage of etc. etc. etc.

Don't get me wrong.. .I've gotten fed (and fed well) at pretty much every wedding I've shot. And I was grateful for it.

I don't have a problem wtih appreciating it, and maybe to a degree even expecting it, in a "common courtesy" sort of way... I have a problem with expecting it in the petulant "oh boy, I shall faint and require salts to recover if I'm not fed... and yes that fluttering butterfly-like creativity shall shrivel and die if my fillet isn't thick enough, rare enough and I'm not served at a prominent table in a throne-like chair"

Also... I've had a couple of experiences where the couple had CLEARLY indicated that we were to be served, and served right after them... and the venue staff refused... serving us cold food after everyone else had eaten, in some remote location.

Unless you're a douchebag of monumental proportions you are NOT going to bring this up to the couple on the day of the wedding to find out if the problem is cheap clients or Hitler-inspired venue staff. And if your creativity truly drops off once a certain amount of glucose concentration abandons your bloodstream then it would be atrocious of you not to prepare for this eventuality and screw the client as a result of someone else's asshole-ness.

... my point is very simple:

1. Grow a pair
2. Pack food
3. You're getting paid enough that you can toss the food if you get served that fillet mignon after all... or gosh maybe you can have it for breakfast tomorrow.

If you get the meal, enjoy it, otherwise deliver and stop making the rest of us look like assholes by prancing around like a virgineal princess in glass shoes.

And while you're at it don't bitch if the priest says you can't shoot from the front. WTF are you doing in the front anyway? It's a ceremony, not a photoshoot, asswipe.

Of course none of this (and especially the end part about the church) is not directed at YOU, Diggler...

Jun 20, 2012 at 01:55 PM
openedeyes
• •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · The Knot "Don't feed vendors"

My sister is gluten-intolerant, and I am pregnant. This summer has already had some craziness, like the one venue that only served pasta and bread, subsequently meaning my sister didn't get anything to eat (but we packed some cliff bars just in case!). Another time, we had a bride specifically ask us to please not eat the food at the wedding because she wanted to make sure everyone had their fill, after telling us she was feeding us at the consultation. Once again, we had backup food, but it definitely dampened our enthusiasm towards getting more artistic shots of them-we felt slighted and underclass.

It's not about hiring someone or having someone as a guest. It's common courtesy. It's manners. In America, it's considered impolite to not feed the people at your party, regardless of their role. While it's not necessary, going the extra step to even making a platter of sandwiches available in the kitchen for the vendors will do a world of good.

I don't think anyone is demanding it, but in my opinion, in our culture, it's considered rude to not share food with the people present at your event, working or not.

Jun 20, 2012 at 02:16 PM
marti.g3
• • • •
[X]
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · The Knot "Don't feed vendors"

lisy78 wrote:
Considering that I usually show up with a 2nd shooter and an assistant, and considering that I've shot weddings in locations where the guests's plate easily exceeds $100 a head... maybe it's not so much about how the client feels about me as much as how the client feels about three hundred bucks plus.

And frankly I'd feel the same way in their shoes.

I judge how my clients feel about me by how they treat me up to the wedding, how much they invest with ME, how they talk to me, how they introduce me to people, how they brag about
...Show more

You definitely have a fiction writing future.

Jun 20, 2012 at 02:22 PM
RJKphoto
• • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · The Knot "Don't feed vendors"

Now what REALLY Pisses me off is seeing the DJ's eating the same food as the guests, while they try to offer me cold chicken fingers or a club sandwich...

Jun 20, 2012 at 02:24 PM
marti.g3
• • • •
[X]
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · The Knot "Don't feed vendors"

RJKphoto wrote:
Now what REALLY Pisses me off is seeing the DJ's eating the same food as the guests, while they try to offer me cold chicken fingers or a club sandwich...

Yeah....so why do THEY get to eat....they've been working what.....an hour....after setup........i see that too......yet we're chided for voicing our concerns after we've been working our asses off for 5 or 6 hours already.......

"Hey man this food is awesome, wish you had the time to eat some but we're doing the first dance now ".......or (insert your own answer)...........

Jun 20, 2012 at 02:56 PM
ai3x
• • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · The Knot "Don't feed vendors"

Some reasons I like to eat with all the guests:

1. The cold bottle of water sitting at the table
  2. Chance to network (I've booked a fair few clients through chats at the table)
  3. I know exactly when I'll be served
  4. No worrying about something happening in the room without me
  5. Food is good
  6. Food makes some good extra details
  7. I actually have somewhere to sit! (lots of UK weddings are marquees so if you're not at a table you're out sitting on the floor)

So yes, do I throw my teddy out of the pram if I don't get fed? No. Do I feel much better, recharged and do a better job if I am? Hell yes. I've found the best way to make sure you get fed is to take pictures of the food and blog them. To a lot of couples the food is really important and a big part of the day. It make sense to get good photos. (Actually a few of the caterers around here have come to know me and like to use the photos. With them I nearly always get the best dish out of the kitchen )

Jun 20, 2012 at 06:46 PM
JHerr
• • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · The Knot "Don't feed vendors"

Being fed is in my contract. But if I don't get fed for some reason then I have a bag of snacks that I can power through and then go right back to work.

Jun 20, 2012 at 08:39 PM
timbop
• • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · The Knot "Don't feed vendors"

RJKphoto wrote:

What annoys me is how they tip. I'm with them for 10 hours+ sweating my ass off and I get the "you did a great job" but they go out of their way to tip the guy that drove them from the church to the reception hall..."hey, here's $100 for sitting on your ass for an hour".

Oh, and this is when I'm shooting for a studio not myself

Jun 20, 2012 at 09:31 PM
DannyBostwick
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · The Knot "Don't feed vendors"

Come on guys, your already being paid several thousand dollars on average. At a decent wedding a meal is upwards of a hundred bucks at plate. Be grateful you have such an epic job & eat the damn turkey wrap and enjoy it.

Edit: Didn't realize Lisy already made this point. Just got frustrated with a bunch of people complaining about not getting filets.

Jun 21, 2012 at 05:05 AM
ACRe
• •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · The Knot "Don't feed vendors"

Nice post Lisy78. I too was bothered by the "mail it in if I don't get fed" mentality. It has always seemed to me that people are judged more by how they handle the adversity when things do not go perfectly, than when it is smooth sailing. I always want to be known as the person who rises above the situation.

Andrew

Jun 21, 2012 at 08:02 AM
maxwell1295
• • • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · The Knot "Don't feed vendors"

I've come to the conclusion that most wedding photographers are wimps...

Jun 21, 2012 at 08:25 AM
marti.g3
• • • •
[X]
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · The Knot "Don't feed vendors"

DannyBostwick wrote:
Come on guys, your already being paid several thousand dollars on average. At a decent wedding a meal is upwards of a hundred bucks at plate. Be grateful you have such an epic job & eat the damn turkey wrap and enjoy it.

Edit: Didn't realize Lisy already made this point. Just got frustrated with a bunch of people complaining about not getting filets.

Common courtesy towards vendors is all that's being asked. Human basic respect. We're not asking to be sitting at the head table being fed with a silver spoon.

Personally, I would rather just take an hour break, stop somewhere, get some grub then continue the job.

Jun 21, 2012 at 08:46 AM
lisy78
• • • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · The Knot "Don't feed vendors"

marti.g3 wrote:
It's sad you have such a low esteem of your career, IF it is indeed a career and not some part time "pocket change, I'll do this until something better comes along " job. And no one is complaining about not getting filets. That's just YOUR spin on things.

Common courtesy towards vendors is all that's being asked. Human basic respect. We're not asking to be sitting at the head table being fed with a silver spoon.

You might not be but try and do a search for vendor meal and you'll see all the lil princesses (and I do mean mostly dudes, of course) whining about a ham sandwich and chips.

I've worked several jobs. None of those jobs included meals provided for me by my employer. I have tons of friends who work in all sorts of fields, professional, non, creative non... and I can't think of any where the client is expected to feed them. Sure maybe a lawyer occasionally gets invited to lunch by a client but for the most part I presume that the only assumption is that you will be provided with AN OPPORTUNITY to eat, not with A MEAL.

If the clients said "you can't step out for 10 minutes to eat a sandwich" then yeah that would be a problem

Brown bags and coolers were invented for this purpose. If you don't get that hot meal that makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside, try one.

Jun 21, 2012 at 08:54 AM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · The Knot "Don't feed vendors"

lisy78 wrote:
If you get the meal, enjoy it, otherwise deliver and stop making the rest of us look like assholes by prancing around like a virgineal princess in glass shoes.

Quoted for truth

Jun 21, 2012 at 08:58 AM
1       2      

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.