Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2012 · LI Soccer Cup 2012

Jeff Napier
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · LI Soccer Cup 2012

#1,4 and 5 for me Paul, pooping colors and action intense faces. Thanks for showing these here.

Jun 20, 2012 at 07:55 AM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · LI Soccer Cup 2012

To answer the question on the B/W choices... I'll give you some of my feelings. Many feel that the "golden hour" of light is the filet mignon of shooting conditions. And I agree. A close second though is the conditions that present themselves in the last shot of this series which is a subject in light against a shadowed treeline background. I actively seek this out in many shooting jobs even if it means shooting backlit mainly because you can ride the wave of a dark treeline BG all day when the foliage of the trees overhang the field. The golden hour is just that... a golden HOUR at most. With dark treeline BGs the subject tends to really pop off the treeline, but it also lends itself to opportunities for B/W processing when appropriate.

With the last shot, I know I couldn't go tight because in doing so, I would have lost the ball. It wasn't going to be that type of shot no matter what. What I felt I did have though was a dark enough BG that suggested a possible B/W conversion. That along with the body position of the player, the leading room and percevied leading direction of your eyes between player and ball, and the juxtaposition of player and ball all added up to what I felt was a good shot to go B/W

Jun 20, 2012 at 10:42 AM
sportsdadof3
• • •
p.2 #3 · LI Soccer Cup 2012

Paul - thanks for your time and thoughts on the b/w choice ... Something to assess during my next event.

Best,

Wendell

Jun 20, 2012 at 08:18 PM
zSCOTTz
• •
p.2 #4 · LI Soccer Cup 2012

The horizon is crooked on number 2 and 7, the umbrella in the background on 6 is a tad distracting, other than that, an overall decent series.

Jun 20, 2012 at 08:44 PM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · LI Soccer Cup 2012

zSCOTTz wrote:
The horizon is crooked on number 2 and 7, the umbrella in the background on 6 is a tad distracting, other than that, an overall decent series.

I can take CC as good as anyone and if screw up, I'll be the first to admit it, but when it comes to horizons, I like to practice what I preach, and I feel like I need to give a bit of rationale in explaing the crops.

With #2, this is one of those rare times where the horizon line doesn't match up with the actual ground line. I did play with the crop and cheated by leveling the shot based on the horizon line (where treeline meets ground) but it didn't look right. The players looked crooked. Take a look at the original unedited shot below. Examine the actual ground in which the players are jumping from. It's a true level horizon at the feet which in this case was the rule of measure I used for this shot.

With #7, I'll give into the fact that it is slightly off. I did correct it all I could in post, but it was pretty much shot out of camera as seen here. Any more rotation and we lose the player's height off the ground.

As for #6... I agree.

Thanks for your comments.

Jun 20, 2012 at 09:48 PM
zSCOTTz
• •
p.2 #6 · LI Soccer Cup 2012

Well I figured somebody had to do it, and those are the things that jumped out at me in my inexperienced short photography career. Seems like everyone kinda tells ya how great ya are when you post, and your damn good, but it just seems like its the same thing as all my friends and family telling my how great my pictures are all the time. Dosent help me get better. Just because your at the top, dosent mean you couldnt use some critique from time to time. People who are at the top, and become satisfied and stagnant arent there for long. Never stop reinventing yourself.

Jun 21, 2012 at 12:06 AM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
p.2 #7 · LI Soccer Cup 2012

zSCOTTz wrote:
Well I figured somebody had to do it, and those are the things that jumped out at me in my inexperienced short photography career. Seems like everyone kinda tells ya how great ya are when you post, and your damn good, but it just seems like its the same thing as all my friends and family telling my how great my pictures are all the time. Dosent help me get better. Just because your at the top, dosent mean you couldnt use some critique from time to time. People who are at the top, and become satisfied and stagnant arent
...Show more

That's fine. I'm not arguing with that. I understand, but I do resent that you're assuming that I'm satisfied and stagnant. That's not the case, I'm always looking to trying different things whether it's a ground level remote, shooting tighter than usual, and all still while needing to shoot all three thousand kids that cross my lens in a single day and get a decent shot of every one. It's hard to reinvent, be creative, and still come away with enough product to sell. I'm not a creative shooter. I never have been. I'm a dutiful shooter. I need to come away with a sellable shot of all three thousand kids that cross my lens in a single day whether it be for me or for my employer or my own company and if and when that occurs, and only when that occurs do I allow myself the luxury of being creative. I wish the opportunity came up more often.

Anyway, thanks again for the comments. I don't mean to belabor the point. I just can't help that the comments seem to have an alternative motive. It's just the way its toned I guess.

Jun 21, 2012 at 12:33 AM
Ted ellis
• • • • • • •
p.2 #8 · LI Soccer Cup 2012

zSCOTTz wrote:
Well I figured somebody had to do it, and those are the things that jumped out at me in my inexperienced short photography career. Seems like everyone kinda tells ya how great ya are when you post, and your damn good, but it just seems like its the same thing as all my friends and family telling my how great my pictures are all the time. Dosent help me get better. Just because your at the top, dosent mean you couldnt use some critique from time to time. People who are at the top, and become satisfied and stagnant arent
...Show more

Scott:

There is nothing wrong with critiquing the best or the not so good. Everyone on this board needs critique when appropriate, even the best. Honest and fair critique comes down to how it's done. I read your original critique of Paul's post and I think your original reply was fair and to the point. Paul explained why/what he did with #7, he agreed with # 2 and the umbrella shot.

Your follow up reply seems to me you are copping an attitude. I hope that is not the case.

Jun 21, 2012 at 12:44 AM
zSCOTTz
• •
p.2 #9 · LI Soccer Cup 2012

Nope, not at all, thats the problem with forums, can't see facial expressions. I just notice when he posts everybody seems to bow down a little bit. I noticed things about the pics, and since I have only been a photographer seriously for about 7 months wanted to post and see if I was right. I notice there are a few people on here when they post its all about how great the pics are, but I see little things, that when newer people post that get picked out. Now I figured it is to help the newer photogs like myself to learn, but if I am an experienced photographer, I would want all the discrepancies on my photos picked out also. This would help me not get lazy and content. Being new, I figure if I can pick out the little things with the experienced photographers pictures that I see, I can learn that way also if I am correct. If I'm not correct, they can point out why it was in that situation, as Paul did, and I can learn that way also.

Jun 21, 2012 at 01:05 AM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · LI Soccer Cup 2012

Okay, cool.

Jun 21, 2012 at 01:28 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Russ Isabella
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · LI Soccer Cup 2012

All well and good, but it definitely is not the same thing to point out the umbrella in #6 and to tell a newbie with a porta potty larger than life in the background that that kind of thing can really kill a picture. I say 'what umbrella?' I really had to look for it (after reading about it, because I sure as hell never saw it during my multiple viewings of that photo), and the difference for me is that the subject itself is so compelling that my eyes don't dare look away from it. Definitely not the case for images about which I might comment on the distracting backgrounds. Oh, and if I want to kiss Paul's ass, I will.

Jun 21, 2012 at 04:40 AM
zSCOTTz
• •
p.2 #12 · LI Soccer Cup 2012

Well, I don't know what to tell ya, I noticed it right away. Its probably because when I look through these posts, and all these things get pointed out, maybe my brain is trained that way.

Jun 21, 2012 at 09:57 AM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
p.2 #13 · LI Soccer Cup 2012

Yeah, it's definitely there and a horrible color indeed. If I had to rank it on the list of distracting backgrounds though, I would put it third on the list. The extra player in the BG on shots #5 and #7 bother me way more.

Jun 21, 2012 at 11:36 AM
zSCOTTz
• •
p.2 #14 · LI Soccer Cup 2012

I guess it comes down to what you said in a post on here before to someone. Post your best, your very best pics. In all your other posts Ive seen, 2012 cheerleaders, little league world series, those pics stood out, the backgrounds were awesome, they were at a different level, even though I'm new, they stood out to me, nothing else was even close on this site. These pics are good, better than what I do, but if your name wasn't on them, I wouldnt have thought they were yours, they just seem like any other soccer pictures Ive seen on here, just a little bit sharper I guess. Everyone can get mad at me, but its just my opinion and what I see. There are alot of posts on here where I can see all the mistakes, even from the old dogs. I watch everyone post on how great they are, and Ive never pointed em out, like I did on yours, because you know where your at, and I felt it wouldnt offend you like maybe some of the others, and Im glad I did, because I still learned a couple things.

Jun 21, 2012 at 06:49 PM
dj dunzie
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · LI Soccer Cup 2012

To get back on track here Paul...

(1) Awesome timing... got the FOB and managed to keep a great face in the shot on a tough angle. Love it.

(2) Good timing again, and great hops on these kids. Cool shot. Man, some tough harsh light in this set and you got the right balance throughout. That to me is what is most impressive in the set.

(3) Love the face, and love tight, but the player on the left is a distraction it'd be great to do without. Not much you can do obviously... the joys of shooting long lenses and going for tight.

(4) Great framing and a good stock isolation shot indeed.

(5) Killer. The face makes this one, but all around great shot for me.

(6) Wicked action shot and again, great timing. Works for me in every way.

(7) Man, I feel ya about the player in the BG, but this is just a kickarse action shot and again, amazing timing. You have a sixth sense. The BG player doesn't wreck this shot.

(8) Fantastic freeze... and man, perfect balance in harsher light.

(9) Great jube shot. Parents LOVE this stuff.

(10) My fave of the set really. Tells a story, and like others said it's a great conversion candidate.

All the usual Alesse greatness, colors that pop, great faces, tight shots. Well done.

I'm sure newer shooters don't fully appreciate the difficulty in shooting under direct sun as well as you have mastered here.

Jun 22, 2012 at 02:59 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.2 #16 · LI Soccer Cup 2012

Great series!
Great timing during major action makes em look like higher level players.
Really nice set to view!

Edited on Jun 25, 2012 at 08:31 PM · View previous versions

Jun 23, 2012 at 05:40 AM
PennsyBill
• • •
p.2 #17 · LI Soccer Cup 2012

A solid set that anyone who doesn't shoot for SI should be proud of - the action, for the age group, is superb.

Jun 25, 2012 at 06:09 AM
Frank Lauri
• • • •
p.2 #18 · LI Soccer Cup 2012

Paul....this is a great looking set. My favs are;

#1 - What kid wouldn't want this hanging on their bedroom wall...
#4 - Same thing as #1 and the colors jus pop.
#5 - Great form and "body english" and love the face. Cut it out and posterize it...
#6 - Regardless of the BG...these shots are hard to get where the player as that paralell to the ground and with the face and ball in full view.
#7 - What an athletic shot for such a little guy.
#9 - Great Jube...
#10 - Love the conversion and know exactly your rationale here. I'm being real nit picky here on this but I think if he was looking at the ball....it would be a plus.

Were these with the 600?

Frank

Jun 25, 2012 at 01:48 PM
Joe Winn
• • •
p.2 #19 · LI Soccer Cup 2012

These weren't all shot with a prime were they? Some look like they were shot with a zoom...hard to explain but some of them have that BG blur that looks like a zoom or a TC was used and have that slight over contrasty/saturated feel to them that you might get with a zoom.

That stretched out goalie kid is huge for a 9yr old

Jun 25, 2012 at 02:14 PM
John P Mulgrew
• • • •
p.2 #20 · LI Soccer Cup 2012

Oh boy hahahahahaha wow! Yeah that umbrella is pretty damn distracting and this work is not even close to being as good as your favorite poster Paul. Post that work of art and all this goes away.

Jul 05, 2012 at 11:13 AM
       3       end

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password