FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2012 · Macbook Pro 15" with RETINA display

BKphotography
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Macbook Pro 15" with RETINA display

I honestly think Apple is losing its way.

Jun 17, 2012 at 07:24 AM
Eyeball
• • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Macbook Pro 15" with RETINA display

The MBP seems to me to be consistent with Apple's strategy. Apple clearly wants to turn computing devices into appliances - expensive appliances that you want or need to replace every one or two years.

I also think it is interesting how with Apple, the software merges with the hardware as part of the appliance. Apple knows that it is easier for people to covet physical things more than software.

Jun 17, 2012 at 08:08 AM
tobicus
• • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Macbook Pro 15" with RETINA display

Eyeball wrote:
The MBP seems to me to be consistent with Apple's strategy. Apple clearly wants to turn computing devices into appliances - expensive appliances that you want or need to replace every one or two years.

I also think it is interesting how with Apple, the software merges with the hardware as part of the appliance. Apple knows that it is easier for people to covet physical things more than software.

Plus, Apple makes far more from hardware than they do from software, which is why they're never going to make OS X available to PC hardware without a struggle.

Jun 17, 2012 at 10:46 AM
whtrbt7
• •
[X]
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Macbook Pro 15" with RETINA display

Apple won't ever make OSX available to 3rd party hardware. There was a recent case where one manufacturer tried to do it but Apple had an injunction filed to where they couldn't function. The best thing about Apple products are the seamless integration of hardware and software. The step towards the Retina MBP is basically turning the product cycle into a 3 year cycle with AppleCare but in return, you'll have excellent hardware and software that beats out the competition in terms of mobility and power. In return for having superior hardware and software, you'll pay money and you'll also have to decide how much RAM and SSD space you need immediately upon purchase. There is no way to upgrade or use 3rd party parts anymore which help to increase Apple's hardware design strength.

Jun 17, 2012 at 11:26 AM
MalachiConstant
• • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Macbook Pro 15" with RETINA display

Looking over the new MBPs again, I am so, so, SO disappointed in Apple, thought hardly surprised.

I am a "pro". I use my current MBP for professional video, photographic, and graphic/design work. - This new Macbook "Pro" is borderline unusable... Soldered in RAM and SSD? I currently run a 750gbHDD for projects and libraries + 140gbSSD for boot + Apps. If my project drive fails, I pop in a spare I have laying around and copy over the backed up project, easily completing the project in time.

With this new soldered in SSD and NO HDD option as far as I can tell, I would be uber-screwed with a drive failure. Your only option is to go exchange the entire freakin computer? For what, to shave off a fraction of a CM and a fraction of an ounce? I'm a working pro, I really don't care about the fraction of an ounce. Im not using my computer while jogging. I am trying to make a living with it.

BK, I think you nailed it. I was always one quick to defend apple from the "apple is abandoning its core pro user base" crowd, but not I can't do that.

If apple would have simply added USB3, the upgraded processors and graphics cards to the existing 2011 MBPs, I would have ordered one in a heartbeat just for the USB3... But now I'm not sure what my next step is...

Jun 17, 2012 at 12:53 PM
mineymole
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Macbook Pro 15" with RETINA display

I think if you need the Pro version you have to order the one that is NOT the retina display.

Jun 17, 2012 at 01:17 PM
mineymole
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Macbook Pro 15" with RETINA display

http://store.apple.com/us/configure/MD104LL/A?

Jun 17, 2012 at 01:18 PM
MalachiConstant
• • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Macbook Pro 15" with RETINA display

^ Yes, but no Optical drive = no 2nd drive bay = only SSD OR only HDD, not to mention being forced into buying the expensive apple RAM with the new soldered in parts ala MBA.

256GB, heck even the 512GB SSD just won't cut it for me and many others, I imagine. My CS6 suite and other Apps + application files and templates, resources etc alone take up about 100GB, add in a relatively small music / movie collection and there is hardly room left on the 256 for a wedding or two.

Another thing that came to me- When I can't make it to the office for a few days, I will back up a wedding or other commercial shoot on my laptops SSD from the HDD as a temporary fix. This would no longer be an option... I just don't understand why Apple would remove such a crucial "pro" customization option...

Jun 17, 2012 at 01:35 PM
Ralgha

p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Macbook Pro 15" with RETINA display

My 3 year old ASUS laptop has 4 USB ports, a full size HDMI port, separate RJ14 and RJ45 jacks without the need for adapters (for phone and Ethernet respectively), express card slot, SD card slot, fingerprint reader, external radio switch to turn off bluetooth/wifi, optical drive, and swappable battery, hard drive, and ram.

It's also smaller in width and depth (which are the two that matter most), and lighter in weight, with a 12.1" screen and is the absolute biggest laptop I can stand. When I eventually buy another one it will NOT be bigger. I travel a lot and even this one is too big sometimes.

Oh, it was also cheaper.

I'll never buy anything Apple.

Jun 17, 2012 at 01:56 PM
brett maxwell
• • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Macbook Pro 15" with RETINA display

MattSepeta wrote:
If apple would have simply added USB3, the upgraded processors and graphics cards to the existing 2011 MBPs, I would have ordered one in a heartbeat just for the USB3... But now I'm not sure what my next step is...

Um... they did EXACTLY that. The Retina display version is a new addition and the old form (with optical drive) still exists with new processors and USB3.

As for using the Retina display model in your current workflow, with Thunderbolt and USB 3.0 you have some good options to have all your project files on a small, easily swapable external drive.

Jun 17, 2012 at 03:13 PM
MalachiConstant
• • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Macbook Pro 15" with RETINA display

brett maxwell wrote:
Um... they did EXACTLY that. The Retina display version is a new addition and the old form (with optical drive) still exists with new processors and USB3.

As for using the Retina display model in your current workflow, with Thunderbolt and USB 3.0 you have some good options to have all your project files on a small, easily swapable external drive.

Oh damn, I totally missed that even after reading up on the new MBPs for quite a while. This is a relief and good to know, although I don't like the trending towards soldered on components with no room for expandability. Thanks for the clarification!

Jun 17, 2012 at 03:36 PM
whtrbt7
• •
[X]
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Macbook Pro 15" with RETINA display

Oh BTW, any of you that think the SSD is soldered in, it's not. There's a pentalobe screw to hold it to the main logic board. it's also using a proprietary/SATA based mini SATA connector to connect it to the logic board. The problem with this storage is that only Apple sells the modules and they would only support the unit should something go wrong with it. They won't upgrade you to the next level of storage even if you were willing to pay for it. In terms of professional usage, they are saying, "if you buy the Macbook Pro with Retina display and AppleCare, we will cover your system should anything go wrong with it and even give you a new one if we can't fix the problem." This makes support faster but forces professionals to store all of their files in a secondary external hard drive because the NAND flash SSDs will get wiped while it's in for repair. This forces any professional to bring an external flash drive with them. While I do bring an external flash drive for archiving, I have 2TB of storage with a 1TB removable HDD in the normal HDD slot. I have to go without one more hard drive on the internals of the machine in order to upgrade to the Retina version. In any case, I think Apple made a great machine, just not great for the professionals that need to use it in their daily work. That 1 pound saved in weight would go towards the extra external drive in addition to the extra external drive you already owned. Thunderbolt right now is still not fast enough to warrant the upgrade due to the bottlenecks in the SSD implementation. Apple should have just soldered the SSDs into the logic board to eliminate the bottleneck to the SSD speed. The SSDs are about 1.7x faster than the last SATA generation ones but still slower than what they could have gotten.

Jun 17, 2012 at 04:35 PM
spink
• • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Macbook Pro 15" with RETINA display

Apple is very smart. From what I've gotten out of this thread and the tear down post is:

1) No more upgrading, spend all your money up front and buy a whole new machine in a few years. This helps Apple achieve their short life cycles and product hype.
2) Buy Apple Care - who does not love selling extra warranty. How many people will need to act on their purchase? Not many, which means more money in Apples pockets.

Apple is very very good at building hype for their products. Some of them are fantastic, some of them are over-hyped.

Jun 17, 2012 at 06:27 PM
mjoshi
• • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Macbook Pro 15" with RETINA display

This whole thing is making Windows 8 look more and more tempting, my last hope is Apple doesnot screw all with iMac just like they did with MBP Retina.
Quick question to people who have got Retina display, how much practical and usable this thing actually is ? Because now you are sticking 2880x1800 into 15" form factor which makes everything super tiny on your screen.

Jun 21, 2012 at 04:00 PM
IzzyG
• •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Macbook Pro 15" with RETINA display

@mjoshi: Things don't seem tinier on my 15" Retina screen. If anything, the 17" native resolution had smaller windows. Unless you chose to scale it smaller, the native "Best for Retina" is larger. I actually went ahead and ordered the 16GB 2.7Ghz version and is keeping the 8GB 2.2Ghz retina I currently have until the new one arrives. Personally I don't see what the big deal is about not being upgradable. The lifespan for the laptops I've ever had(personal and business) is about 2-3 years. And usually during that time, the improvements are beyond just RAM and HDD, thus requiring a complete upgrade anyways. Of course, if budget restricts a buyer only to the 8GB for now, and later hoping to upgrade, it's a different matter. But it's not a deal breaker for me.

Jun 21, 2012 at 04:42 PM
whtrbt7
• •
[X]
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Macbook Pro 15" with RETINA display

Base resolution is still 1440x900 with Retina. Retina capable apps like FCPX, Aperture, and Motion will scale video and photo content to maximum res while the controls stay standard res. This is good for maintaining speed. If you do decide to go "hack" a full 2880x1800, you'll notice dramatic slowdown unless you run off of the Nvidia chipset. If you do run the "hacked" resolution, you'll have tiny text and tiny icons. My recommended use is to use 1440x900 Retina mode so you can go at full speed and then have the Retina apps run in full Retina. I really want to get rid of the MBP completely and have Aperture for the iPad. Just need a more powerful iPad.....

Jun 21, 2012 at 06:09 PM
Rav13
• •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Macbook Pro 15" with RETINA display

Italo Campilii wrote:
Will anyone be grabbing one?

Without a doubt, I'm moving from PC to Mac, and when I tried this laptop out at the apple store it was impressive in every way, screen, speed and even feel.

I spec'd up to the max RAM and max storage, this will replace the desktop for sure. just waiting for the Mac Pro too!

Jun 22, 2012 at 10:52 AM
M. Magallon
• •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Macbook Pro 15" with RETINA display

MattSepeta wrote:
Looking over the new MBPs again, I am so, so, SO disappointed in Apple, thought hardly surprised.

I am a "pro". I use my current MBP for professional video, photographic, and graphic/design work. - This new Macbook "Pro" is borderline unusable... Soldered in RAM and SSD? I currently run a 750gbHDD for projects and libraries + 140gbSSD for boot + Apps. If my project drive fails, I pop in a spare I have laying around and copy over the backed up project, easily completing the project in time.

With this new soldered in SSD and NO HDD option as far
...Show more

It's really not as bad as you make it out to be.

For one, you can get the extra 8GB of ram for $200. Getting new chips from 3rd party vendors like OWC and taking the old chips out cost very nearly as much, so you can get the 16GB from the get go.

The new drives are SSD's. They're not going to have the same mechanical failures as well... a mechanical hard drive. The only real issue's that have been reported are performance degradation, but those were mostly early gen models of a few years ago. Eventually, OWC or other 3rd party vendors should have replacements like they did with the MacBook Air computers. I believe the Retina notebooks use Samsung chips, so it's not a completely proprietary design.

As far as a backup, adding USB 3.0 with the included Thunderbolt ports should just allow you to plug in a replacement bootup disk if you use programs like superduper and create a backup boot drive and you should be ready to go with minimal down time. These new I/O ports have really changed the game in regards to overall operability and expandeability in notebook computers.

It's not what we're used to, but to say these new notebooks are not meant for pros is a bit of a stretch.

Jun 23, 2012 at 01:57 AM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.