Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · When a DSLR is too much...what then?

BenV
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · When a DSLR is too much...what then?

just bring your DSLR and a prime or two, its what, 3lbs?

Sep 06, 2012 at 09:33 PM
thumphrey

p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · When a DSLR is too much...what then?

I've had 3 Olympus Pens, Canon and Nikon P&S cameras to use when I didn't want to lug my DSLR's. I got a Fuji X100 and have been delighted. It is always with me. IQ is awesome!

Sep 10, 2012 at 03:01 AM
AmbientMike
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · When a DSLR is too much...what then?

Been using gh1 lately. Good/great iq to 800 at least.

Sep 13, 2012 at 04:26 PM
indiginess

Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · When a DSLR is too much...what then?

when I entered the DSLR world a couple of years ago, I chose a camera with weight in mind, as long as it had a decent set of specs. I chose the Nikon D5000 and it's stood up to a year+ of unexpected newspaper work. The 'quiet' shutter setting is a bonus... I've been in performance audiences and had people tell me they didn't hear a thing @ ~4 feet away.

Its light, not quite as light as an non-mirrored setup, but you'll retain a good amount of control for a small amount of weight. A used D5000 with an 18-55 kit lens will cost you under $500US and is about as light as you can get in a true DSLR. And you'd be able to shoot video if the mood strikes you. The upside to the 18-55 kit lens for a setup like you're looking for is the downside to most... its plastic and a 52mm diameter lens. Sharp, too. My copy is fantastic at the wide end.

The 'vari-angle' viewscreen seems really gimmicky, until you want to compose in LiveView with the camera over your head standing on a rock to get line-of-sight over a tree branch. Then its not so gimmicky.

I'd love to sell you mine (hehe) but I probably have to use it tomorrow.

edit: If you take my suggestion seriously, I have two things to add. #1. Get the D5000 over the D5100. I haven't shot the D5100, but I held one in a store, and I much prefer the vari-angle setup on the D5000. I don't like the way the D5100 switched to a side-out swing. It just feels less forgiving in regards to breakage. #2. Look into the M-Rock line of camera bags. They are really sturdy and probably the best protection-bag available on the market... especially for a single-lens setup.

Sep 14, 2012 at 04:36 AM
justruss
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · When a DSLR is too much...what then?

NEX for landscape.

Fuji X100/X-Pro1 (too bad the XE-1 isn't available yet) for people, but NOT for landscape. See: watercolor effect in Alt forum.

Carry a DSLR if it's a job.

This is the pro forum... right?

(Oh yeah, that's why I don't pop in here very often... what does professional photography have to do with this thread at all?)

Sep 14, 2012 at 12:48 PM
workerdrone
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · When a DSLR is too much...what then?

Suprised nobody mentioned a tripod. My point 'n shoot photos look sad until I lock it down to base iso and put it on a tripod, even a little gorillapod is great. Then it starts to punch above its weight class. If I wanted to go superlight right now I'd bring my S95, double zip-loc'd, with a gorillapod and maybe a cheap CPL to experiment with holding in front of the lens...

Sep 30, 2012 at 03:53 PM
glacierpete
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · When a DSLR is too much...what then?

I would recommend the new Sigma dp2 merrill. Amazing image quality and detail. Lightweigt. But it eats batteries. You have recharge on the way. Best at ISO 100/200. You might need a little carbon or table tripod.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/sigma_dp2m_review.shtml
http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/other-cameras/39705-sigma-dp2-merrill-shots.html

Oct 02, 2012 at 04:14 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

surf monkey
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · When a DSLR is too much...what then?

Canyonlands wrote:
What pulls off the clarity and dynamics needed to still wow our dinner guests as the images scroll across the 50" screen?

A high definition 50" screen doesn't have a lot of resolution. 1920 x 1280 pixels is relatively low resolution compared to any modern digital camera including most phones.

For HD screens you will need to raise the contrast and the sharpness to get the most out of your images.

Oct 02, 2012 at 05:29 AM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · When a DSLR is too much...what then?

How about a Panasonic GX1 + 9-18 lens?
If you want a EVF and don't mind spending the money, the Olympus OM-D + 7-14 lens is a stellar combo.

Otherwise, it's hard to beat the new Sony RX100 for a pocketable option.

Oct 02, 2012 at 05:35 AM
Lee Saxon
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · When a DSLR is too much...what then?

I've rented an Olympus OM-D and a Sony NEX-7 for this weekend in an attempt to answer this very question.

Oct 09, 2012 at 04:49 PM
jstephens62
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · When a DSLR is too much...what then?

I would recommend Olympus OM-D, then lenses depending on what you want to shoot. Maybe start with the Panasonic 12-35, this plus body would be right at your budget point.

Oct 09, 2012 at 05:00 PM
RRRoger
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · When a DSLR is too much...what then?

I looked at a lot of small cameras including the latest NEX.
I could not hold any of them steady enough to get an unblurred shot.

The V1 feels more solid in my hand, the AutoFocus is much faster and more accurate.
The camera + 10-30 lens fits in my large pockets.
It shares the battery, memory cards, and with FT-1 adapter even the lens with my D7000, D600, and D800.

Oct 13, 2012 at 11:52 PM
pr4photos
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · When a DSLR is too much...what then?

Lumix GX1 would be my suggestion. With careful LR processing 6400iso is pretty amazing!

Oct 18, 2012 at 04:09 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · When a DSLR is too much...what then?

RRRoger wrote:
I looked at a lot of small cameras including the latest NEX.
I could not hold any of them steady enough to get an unblurred shot.

The V1 feels more solid in my hand, the AutoFocus is much faster and more accurate.
The camera + 10-30 lens fits in my large pockets.
It shares the battery, memory cards, and with FT-1 adapter even the lens with my D7000, D600, and D800.

Try the OM-D then. Outstanding image quality, great lens options and truly stellar 5-axis IBIS that is good for 3-4 stops with any lens.

Oct 18, 2012 at 08:36 PM
       end

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password