Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · Lee filetrs and polariser?

RobDickinson
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Lee filetrs and polariser?

Currently using Cokin P adapters (85mm, 3 filter and the crappy single wide angle holder) with hitech filters ( 3 set soft, .6 .9 hard, .6 reverse, 3 set ND + the woeful old 3.0) + a cokin 82mm cpl.

I'm getting a 24tse next week and frankly the 3 filter holder is crap on the 17-40 anyhow.

So will be buying a Lee system ( I guess 3 filter holder, 82mm WA ring and 77mm normal). Plus 2 packs of grads (I have some hitech NDs at 100mm by accident...) .. will add a big stopper too at some point.

What do people do about a CPL with this system? I see some using a normal threaded one and others using one on the front of the filter holder system?

I will have to buy from US or UK or via ebay or something as there are no official sources in NZ!

Jun 07, 2012 at 12:40 AM
netexpress
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Lee filetrs and polariser?

Welcome to the Lee kit. you won't look back!

Get this one:

Lee 4x4 Circular Polarizer Glass Filter PLC-G
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=PLC-G&N=0&InitialSearch=yes

If you're interested please take a look at the Singh-Ray Daryl Benson 4x6" Reverse Neutral Density Graduated Filter set. It compliments the Lee system very well.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=singh-ray+reverse&N=0&InitialSearch=yes

Jun 07, 2012 at 01:01 AM
netexpress
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Lee filetrs and polariser?

By the way if someone know of a Lee Big Stopper available at the regular price I would love to buy one. Currently I'm using the Hitech Pro 10-stop. The Hitech Pro-series solid ND are very good. But I'd like to compare it with the Glass Lee Big Stopper at some point. Other than the rev-grad-ND from Singh-Ray I'm currently using the Lee Grad hard and soft kits.

Jun 07, 2012 at 01:05 AM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Lee filetrs and polariser?

Thanks!

I've seen the sing-ray reverse nd grads, Lee dont make their own?

I find Lee stuff so complicated , seemingly needlessly, there are so many bits and solutions its hard to know whats used and whats just there for confusion purposes!

Jun 07, 2012 at 01:06 AM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Lee filetrs and polariser?

netexpress wrote:
Welcome to the Lee kit. you won't look back!

Get this one:

Lee 4x4 Circular Polarizer Glass Filter PLC-G
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=PLC-G&N=0&InitialSearch=yes

This you have to rotate the filter holder, which may be different for the position of the nd grad if your using one right?

Jun 07, 2012 at 01:12 AM
netexpress
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Lee filetrs and polariser?

RobDickinson wrote:
Thanks!

I've seen the sing-ray reverse nd grads, Lee dont make their own?

I find Lee stuff so complicated , seemingly needlessly, there are so many bits and solutions its hard to know whats used and whats just there for confusion purposes!

Yeah gotta get at least one sing-ray reverse gard for sunsets. You don't have to buy them all. Going for a higher density maybe a 3-stop 0.9 (Part # R-63) to start with if you want to play with it. Lee doesn't do these.

Singh-Ray and Lee are pretty much on equal footing on the soft and hard grad ND filters. So if you can swing it just pick up the Lee hard -and- soft three filter sets or the same from Singh-Ray:

Hard:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=orderHistory&A=details&Q=&sku=135393&is=REG

Soft:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=orderHistory&A=details&Q=&sku=292653&is=REG

You probably won't get a Lee Big stopper without waiting 6 - 9 months but the Hitech 4 x 4" PROSTOP Neutral Density 3.0 (10-stops) Filter for the Lee Filter Holder (Mfr# HT100NDPS3.0LEE) should be very close. Just shot a custom white balance on a white cloth with either before working. There is color cast on either at 10-stops:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=orderHistory&A=details&Q=&sku=816791&is=REG

A few lower density solid ND from Lee (or Hitech Pro) would be good as well.

Jun 07, 2012 at 01:18 AM
netexpress
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Lee filetrs and polariser?

RobDickinson wrote:
This you have to rotate the filter holder, which may be different for the position of the nd grad if your using one right?

You'll need to eye-ball it through the view finder and rotate it 90-degrees at a time (is is a square). So you pop it out and rotate it 90-degrees and you'll see when you are at max polarization. You can't fine tune like with a threader Polarizer but honestly this is the way it's generally done. I don't know many that use the front mounted polarizer. Could be fun to try both though. But I think you'll find the square polarizer does the job.

Jun 07, 2012 at 01:23 AM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Lee filetrs and polariser?

I'm not going near the hitech pro 3.0 , I have the old one and its so poor its unusable, the new one is better but still I dont want to go there.

I think I know someone with a spare big stopper (fingers crossed).

I think I will go for a 3 stop reverse ND, I have a 2 stop now and mostly find it not enough.

As for ND grads I use soft and hard with equal frequency and hardly ever use a 1 stop, it looks like its easier to buy the 3 filter kits than just the 2 & 3 stop ones.

i will probably make do with my hitech 100mm ND filters (so far unused) unless they produce poor results mixed with the grads.

Jun 07, 2012 at 01:24 AM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Lee filetrs and polariser?

netexpress wrote:
You'll need to eye-ball it through the view finder and rotate it 90-degrees at a time (is is a square). So you pop it out and rotate it 90-degrees and you'll see when you are at max polarization. You can't fine tune like with a threader Polarizer but honestly this is the way it's generally done. I don't know many that use the front mounted polarizer. Could be fun to try both though. But I think you'll find the square polarizer does the job.

Ah that makes sense, I'm guessing usually 90 degree across changes will do.

Jun 07, 2012 at 01:25 AM
netexpress
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Lee filetrs and polariser?

Yeah I understand - the old non-pro hitech's had a bad light leak that caused color casts. The new Pros have a special padding to prevent that. So they are much improved. But if you can get solid Lees go for it. You can't go wrong. They fit and just work.

Oh and pass your bro Net Express a Big Stopper at normal cost please Just kidding!

Jun 07, 2012 at 01:30 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

chrisdee
• •
p.1 #11 · Lee filetrs and polariser?

You can buy some Lee stuff in NZ: http://progear.co.nz/catalog.aspx?c=3179

Jun 07, 2012 at 01:34 AM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #12 · Lee filetrs and polariser?

chrisdee wrote:
You can buy some Lee stuff in NZ: http://progear.co.nz/catalog.aspx?c=3179

They do , but do they ahve stock? notorious for advertising things they dont have or cant get. Do they list grads somewhere too?

Jun 07, 2012 at 01:42 AM
netexpress
• • • •
p.1 #13 · Lee filetrs and polariser?

RobDickinson wrote:
I'm not going near the hitech pro 3.0 , I have the old one and its so poor its unusable, the new one is better but still I dont want to go there.

I think I know someone with a spare big stopper (fingers crossed).

I think I will go for a 3 stop reverse ND, I have a 2 stop now and mostly find it not enough.

As for ND grads I use soft and hard with equal frequency and hardly ever use a 1 stop, it looks like its easier to buy the 3 filter kits than just the 2 &
...Show more

In the USA at least you buy the Lee ND grad (soft and hard) kits and you basically get the 1-stop (almost worthless) filter for free. And the kits are in stock. So what's not to like? If you are a digital guy you file the 1-stop filter in the dust-bin or if you are a strictly must-take-it-perfect-the-first-time type keep it and use it - rarely - it's free!

Jun 07, 2012 at 01:51 AM
chrisdee
• •
p.1 #14 · Lee filetrs and polariser?

Quite sure they have stock of what's listed, they have an order for grads and other filters but Lee don't have them at the moment (at least that's what I've been told). Probably if you give the shop a call you'll get all the info, they're very helpful.

Jun 07, 2012 at 01:53 AM
netexpress
• • • •
p.1 #15 · Lee filetrs and polariser?

I've imported a lot of stuff over the last few years. If you really need it don't let borders hold you back. A few fees here and there on a $100 filter won't break the bank. There are several US sites that have the kits in stock ready to ship.

Jun 07, 2012 at 02:02 AM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #16 · Lee filetrs and polariser?

Oh I dont mind importing, you kind of get used to that in NZ

The 'free' 1 stop grads are what i thought. Ah well, I may end up using them from time to time.

Jun 07, 2012 at 02:03 AM
netexpress
• • • •
p.1 #17 · Lee filetrs and polariser?

So Rob I want a full report on the Lee system on that 10x 40mm pancake lens we discussed on the 500/600 II thread:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1109798/19

And do your bro Netexpress a "solid" and point me to a Lee big Stopper!

Nah Just kidding!

No I'm not kidding.

Nah Just kidding!

I'm just joking around.

Can't wait to hear about your Lee or SuperTele adventures! I hope to post more about the 500 II as soon as it touches terra firma in the SF Bay Area. Keep me posted.

Jun 07, 2012 at 02:13 AM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #18 · Lee filetrs and polariser?

You guys dont tape your lenses together for more focal length normally then?

heh my friend ordered 3 big stoppers to see which would turn up and they all did.. one got ebay'd hoping there is another for me... he is in the UK tho..

Jun 07, 2012 at 02:16 AM
gowhow
• • •
p.1 #19 · Lee filetrs and polariser?

RobDickinson wrote:
Currently using Cokin P adapters (85mm, 3 filter and the crappy single wide angle holder) with hitech filters ( 3 set soft, .6 .9 hard, .6 reverse, 3 set ND + the woeful old 3.0) + a cokin 82mm cpl.

I'm getting a 24tse next week and frankly the 3 filter holder is crap on the 17-40 anyhow.

So will be buying a Lee system ( I guess 3 filter holder, 82mm WA ring and 77mm normal). Plus 2 packs of grads (I have some hitech NDs at 100mm by accident...) .. will add a big stopper too at some point.

What do
...Show more

So the 24 TS-E is still on?

Jun 07, 2012 at 02:20 AM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #20 · Lee filetrs and polariser?

Yeah getting one from Photo & video next week.

Jun 07, 2012 at 02:24 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password