Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              31      
       end

Archive 2012 · Sony Zeiss RX100

millsart
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.32 #1 · p.32 #1 · Sony Zeiss RX100

bigkidneys wrote:
Before I pull mine apart I do not think the 46-49 step up ring can be glued onto the magnet portion. It looks to be too large.

Keep the red outer housing for the magnet as well, along with the black backing part.

There will be about 1mm or less of gap but just fill it with a bit of extra glue

Unless you've got a really odd 46-49mm step up ring, it will work fine.

I've witnessed literally dozens of people have success doing this since I first shared the idea online a few months ago.

Nov 15, 2012 at 12:44 PM
bigkidneys
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.32 #2 · p.32 #2 · Sony Zeiss RX100

millsart wrote:
Keep the red outer housing for the magnet as well, along with the black backing part.

There will be about 1mm or less of gap but just fill it with a bit of extra glue

Unless you've got a really odd 46-49mm step up ring, it will work fine.

I've witnessed literally dozens of people have success doing this since I first shared the idea online a few months ago.

By chance do you have any pictures of the hack in progress or afterward? Maybe I am looking at doing it wrong. Can't believe they don't offer an ND filter themselves for it. You seem to be quite the innovator. Love your wide lens conversion for the X100. No Fuji make stheir own but much more expensive. Thinking about picking up my fourth X100 as they just seem to be the perfect, simple photography tool...

Nov 15, 2012 at 09:20 PM
millsart
• • • •
p.32 #3 · p.32 #3 · Sony Zeiss RX100

Not the best shots but it shows the finished product and also mounted to the camera (stacked filters just to see if it vignetted with 49mm ones).

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1119847/29 bottom of page

I too would think Carryspeed would have a ND, but I guess as a small company they don't have the capitol to put out another product til they recoup some investment on the current one.

They do make some 52mm and other size filter holders BTW

I just hacked mine because I've got so many 49mm filters

Agree about the X100 as well, certainly fun little camera, and I do miss mine at times, but probably would still end up carrying the RX100 instead most of the time. The super quick AF, including face detect, zoom range, and ease of carry sort of win out in terms of casual shooting, and other than high ISO, the Sony images are just as good if not better

Nov 17, 2012 at 01:51 AM
bigkidneys
• • •
p.32 #4 · p.32 #4 · Sony Zeiss RX100

Thanks! Actually just broke the stock filter today and superglued the black outer ring that held the filter onto a 46-49 step up ring. Wasn't able to test this afternoon as it was dark when I left work but hopefully tomorrow. Seemed to be a small gap on one side that might let in some light leakage but will check with some long exposures tomorrow with a 10 stop. Want to try one long exposures and IR
with the RX100 so hopefully the weather cooperates tomorrow...

Nov 17, 2012 at 02:24 AM
millsart
• • • •
p.32 #5 · p.32 #5 · Sony Zeiss RX100

RX100 works surprisingly well for IR, about on par with the Fuji X100 in fact, only while the X100 would allow you to shoot handheld at iso 3200, the RX100 doesn't look so good at such a high ISO, so its more limited to using some support and low ISO, but it does give a rather nice file.

Make sure you've got the red ring part on your new filter holder as well. Its got the little inner bevel that basically centers the filter onto the thin attachment strip on the camera.

I've got a great little L bracket I made for it as well, that I need to finish up and post some images of. I found that I could just bevel the edges into dovetail with a dremel, and than rather than use a fullsize arca swiss clamp, one of the mini hotshoe clamps from my speedlights works.

Its basically a scaled down acra swiss system that cost about $15 in parts, works great, and honestly is a more useful size for such a small camera.

Then even cooler, is using another one of those little hotshoe clamps, I attached a little 2" riser bar and flat plate with a thread for a mechanical shutter release. Using the lock on that, I can set the RX100 to bulb mode and do long exposures.

Nov 17, 2012 at 03:59 AM
bigkidneys
• • •
p.32 #6 · p.32 #6 · Sony Zeiss RX100

millsart wrote:
RX100 works surprisingly well for IR, about on par with the Fuji X100 in fact, only while the X100 would allow you to shoot handheld at iso 3200, the RX100 doesn't look so good at such a high ISO, so its more limited to using some support and low ISO, but it does give a rather nice file.

Make sure you've got the red ring part on your new filter holder as well. Its got the little inner bevel that basically centers the filter onto the thin attachment strip on the camera.

I've got a great little L bracket I made for
...Show more

Sounds great! I will need something for the bulb mode long exposures so please post a pic if you could

Nov 17, 2012 at 06:08 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

lsquare
• • •
p.32 #7 · p.32 #7 · Sony Zeiss RX100

Anyone here know if an l-plate exist for the RX100?

Jan 06, 2013 at 10:26 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.32 #8 · p.32 #8 · Sony Zeiss RX100

RRS doesn't, but this one might fit: http://reallyrightstuff.com/Items.aspx?code=BodyMCL&key=cat

Jan 06, 2013 at 10:42 AM
lsquare
• • •
p.32 #9 · p.32 #9 · Sony Zeiss RX100

carstenw wrote:
RRS doesn't, but this one might fit: http://reallyrightstuff.com/Items.aspx?code=BodyMCL&key=cat

I'm guessing you haven't tried it yet?

Jan 06, 2013 at 01:02 PM
DavidWEGS
• • • •
p.32 #10 · p.32 #10 · Sony Zeiss RX100

I would love to see what you made. That sounds like a good little setup. Also, care to share your IR work and process.

millsart wrote:

I've got a great little L bracket I made for
...Show more

Jan 06, 2013 at 03:47 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.32 #11 · p.32 #11 · Sony Zeiss RX100

lsquare wrote:
I'm guessing you haven't tried it yet?

No, I don't have an RX100. I own this bracket, and it has fit on a variety of cameras, including Leica M8, Contax 645 and currently a Fuji S5 Pro. It has several grooves where you can put the screw. If you want to measure the distance from the tripod hole to the left edge of the camera (seen from behind), and the thickness at the base, I could give you an idea how it would fit.

Jan 06, 2013 at 03:52 PM
h00ligan
• • • •
p.32 #12 · p.32 #12 · Sony Zeiss RX100

I just set up a repair with Sony to clean the dust from the sensor. The camera has been take out three times and stored in a case in a drawer outside of that. There have been no haboobs lately

Anyway. They said it was warranty covered. Ill believe that when they don't call me and ask for a credit card number.

Jan 07, 2013 at 09:00 PM
       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password