Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Cropping for Art Reproduction Book

Michael Seto
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Cropping for Art Reproduction Book

I recently photographed a collection of corporate art for a planned coffee table book.

Question: as I post-process the images for the book - is it normal to crop the artwork OUT of the frame which holds it, or is it normal to leave the framing in for the reproduction?

Thanks for your help.

Jun 01, 2012 at 01:55 PM
cgardner
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Cropping for Art Reproduction Book

Cropped in the final image in the book but during production it's valuable to see the color reference targets placed next to the uncropped artwork. Did you use control targets when shooting?

I suggest you consult up front with the company which will print it regarding color management and process control. Reproducing art is a potential minefield because the gamut in artist colors can't be matched on a CYMK press and the first thing the client will do is hold catalog next to painting and ask why they don't match. A big part of my jobs as publishing center production manager and director was education of the clients, tempering their expectations regarding how close of a match was physically possible up front so they were not disappointed when they saw the finished product.

Jun 05, 2012 at 03:22 AM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password