New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Shake up @ Nikon El Segundo

aztwang1
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Shake up @ Nikon El Segundo

Just called Mona@ Nikon El segundo in service. She said" I'm just walking out".... and I said "leaving for lunch?...She responded no, our department (Service call center) has been laid off. You'll need to call another number? She would not say much more but did say service was still open at El Segundo. Thats all I know...

May 31, 2012 at 07:20 PM
AMaji
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Shake up @ Nikon El Segundo

That is crazy!!! I thought El Segundo finally managed to learn how to recalibrate the AF modules of the D800, and now this. Nikon USA after making so much money selling the D800 laying off their service staff... that is just wrong.

May 31, 2012 at 07:26 PM
webmstrk9
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Shake up @ Nikon El Segundo

If it is true, there could be other reasons why theyre being laid off, such as quality of service, attitude, etc. Hopefully it's the person that answered that call.

May 31, 2012 at 07:35 PM
aztwang1
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Shake up @ Nikon El Segundo

webmstrk9 wrote:
If it is true, there could be other reasons why theyre being laid off, such as quality of service, attitude, etc. Hopefully it's the person that answered that call.

I've sent alot of gear to El Segundo and Mona has ALWAYS been top notch, good attitude and a good communicator. The number she gave me to call NOW is in the Dominican Republic..So now if I have an issue with a camera body and want to send in some image files showing the problem, it routes thru the Dominican Republic and I guess they send El Segundo the files. I detect a bit of " Sh#t falling threw the cracks" using this method.
Dont know the reasoning behind this but what is also weird is that no other extension will pick up @ El Segundo.

May 31, 2012 at 07:57 PM
Bruce Sawle
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Shake up @ Nikon El Segundo

No suprise here. I called regarding a parts hold last week and was told that the parts were in and I would be getting my lens back in 7-10 days. I called again today to ask why the status of parts hold had not changed. I was told because the parts were just ordered and it would be at least a few weeks until they came in. This is the second time my gear has been or will be sitting at Nikon for over 2 months. Not what I would call good customer service. With Canon the turn around was always speedy.

May 31, 2012 at 08:02 PM
mkchang
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Shake up @ Nikon El Segundo

I just had a D3S repaired and it took about 2 months. The guy I spoke with said that because of the flooding in Japan parts were hard to get. This goes for Nikon and Canon, so I wouldn't be surprised if Canon's turnaround time had gotten longer as well.

May 31, 2012 at 10:12 PM
Matt OHarver
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Shake up @ Nikon El Segundo

mkchang wrote:
I just had a D3S repaired and it took about 2 months. The guy I spoke with said that because of the flooding in Japan parts were hard to get. This goes for Nikon and Canon, so I wouldn't be surprised if Canon's turnaround time had gotten longer as well.

Even as an NPS member? Wow that is crazy, I'll hold off on sending mine in for the minor issue I'm having.

Matt

Jun 01, 2012 at 01:17 AM
vtec44
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Shake up @ Nikon El Segundo

I've sent several cameras there and have always gotten it back within 2 weeks. My D7000 was sent in as recent as May 8th and I got it back on May 17th.

Jun 01, 2012 at 02:19 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

tkearney
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Shake up @ Nikon El Segundo

It's a cost cutting measure. Mona makes too much, so they farm the work out to people overseas who will work for much less.

Jun 01, 2012 at 04:40 AM
Jan Brittenson
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Shake up @ Nikon El Segundo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cost_centre_(business)

Jun 02, 2012 at 12:05 AM
RCicala
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Shake up @ Nikon El Segundo

mkchang wrote:
This goes for Nikon and Canon, so I wouldn't be surprised if Canon's turnaround time had gotten longer as well.

Nah, we're averaging 5 day turnaround at Canon (about what it's always been) and 13-14 at Nikon (about what it's been the last year or so). Of course, CPS and NPS services are speedier, we're simple corporate accounts.

Jun 02, 2012 at 12:33 AM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Shake up @ Nikon El Segundo

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/21/business/worldbusiness/21iht-law.4.7199252.html

http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/hollywood_outsourcing_higher_end_legal_work_to_india/

THey send legal work to India. Why not Mona?

It would be real interesting to see some CEO's get canned and their jobs done by some Indian company for 50K annually.

Wedding photogs have been complaining about Craigslist photogs for a while now. None of them seems to realize the good, solid middle class jobs that supported their businesses are vanishing, replaced by minimum wage jobs. We cannot afford to give ~25% of all income to the top 1%.
http://www.vanityfair.com/society/features/2011/05/top-one-percent-201105

We used to deride banana republics for the top 1% siphoning off 20% of the wealth. It seems the only thing keeping us from becoming a banana republic is a lack of banana plantations.

Jun 02, 2012 at 06:29 AM
luminosity
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Shake up @ Nikon El Segundo

Just what I want to read right now, give my new problem.

Jun 02, 2012 at 08:04 AM
Hrow
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Shake up @ Nikon El Segundo

runamuck wrote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/21/business/worldbusiness/21iht-law.4.7199252.html

http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/hollywood_outsourcing_higher_end_legal_work_to_india/

THey send legal work to India. Why not Mona?

It would be real interesting to see some CEO's get canned and their jobs done by some Indian company for 50K annually.

Wedding photogs have been complaining about Craigslist photogs for a while now. None of them seems to realize the good, solid middle class jobs that supported their businesses are vanishing, replaced by minimum wage jobs. We cannot afford to give ~25% of all income to the top 1%.
http://www.vanityfair.com/society/features/2011/05/top-one-percent-201105

We used to deride banana republics for the top 1% siphoning off 20% of the wealth. It seems the only thing keeping us
...Show more

Folks should start reading up on feudalism. It seems that the only ones that haven't figured out where we are headed are the soon to be serfs.

Jun 02, 2012 at 11:49 AM
DavidWEGS
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Shake up @ Nikon El Segundo

Speaking as a serf, I don't quite know what is to be done about it.

Jun 09, 2012 at 03:42 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password